dagger/pistol daredevil

Bast.7253

So, this is just completely dead now, right?

I mean, I've been trying it out in unranked because I used to enjoy it, but every match I'm in I can't even land anything because the second I get close to someone I'm nearly one shot by some passive cleave damage from a reaper just popping into shroud, or a shatter from someone, or a warrior just swinging away at everything while taking no damage, or a holo using one ability in holo mode, or a core guard.

How do you effectively play this spec in pvp now? I'm terrible at landing steal/backstab for some reason. Don't know if it's lag or I just have really terrible timing and can never seem to be behind my target to get the most damage out of it. And I can't just go up and auto anyone because everything is running around with 25 might stacks from 3 abilities taking 0 damage and cleaving everything in sight.

I guess I should give up and just go back to running rifle/sword/dagger or acro sword/dagger. I know it's meant to be a +1 build, but you can't even hardly effectively plus 1 due to cleave/aoe.

DE has a lot to offer in PvP than DD.

Iron Sight is a reliable passive defense (put the mark on the cleaver).

A backstab from DE D/P after 7 stacks of Malice (M7) is sweet.

Shadow Meld is godsend.

Binding Shadow before Backstab is a very good combo for massive damage plus the knockdown (this is good for you if you can't get a backstab).

You just need to play differently. Leave the +1 to someone else, typically Mirages or Weavers, but go in pairs.

d/p now heavily relies (even more than before) in your team, it's still the best roaming build due to its mobility so if you can plus 1v1s and generate outnumber fights for your team then it's OK. The main problem with d/p is that it doesn't do well vs war/holo/fb/chrono, s/d is much better against those matchups by far.

since sind doesn't play/stream anymore due to his ban I recommend you to watch vallun, he mainly plays d/p he also has a youtube channel where he shows rotations and stuff for thieves in pvp.

First and foremost, even staying melee as d/p is mostly not what you are doing now. Your targets either blinded, not looking at you or youre kiting. Now after the juicy auto chain nerf on dagger, thats even more true. I suggest you really practice the combo since thats pretty much the most important thing ( +1ing wise, burst is vital) imo. And get used to going in and out, ALOT.

You need to patiently wait a time to strike, do some damage, get out. D/p CAN win a good chunks of 1v1s ( in wvw at least ) but the reason you dont do that in spvp is you cannot stand still on the point while fighting. Now sadly, even when +1ing the same is applied. Even 2v1 you shouldnt stay still for too long ( unless your targets disabled / not looking at you / really has nothing left ).

And yeah speaking of +1, nothing like +1ing against a spellbreaker and dying to the counter explosion + greatsword spin, or at least very nearly dying.

Tl:dr : Its easy just avoid every single attack, all of em, hit every combo and when you are 2v1ing someone remember that youll most likely die first if you are not careful ( this applies to mostly every thief spec, some just have an easier time evading ).

Thief is the only class that has talent to actually waste ur enemies skills and put them on CD. Use it. Basically ur +1/decapper, but If you get in duel with some1, there is no reason as thief eat those Enemy skills. After a little play with ur Enemy you go for kill when his key abilities are on CD.

Cleave/AOE is indeed outrageous in sPvP. It's one of the reasons I barely touch the game mode save one or two games a week. This game mode was far more engaging when single-target or targettable abilities were stronger than AoE.

@"Elxdark.9702" said:d/p now heavily relies (even more than before) in your team, it's still the best roaming build due to its mobility so if you can plus 1v1s and generate outnumber fights for your team then it's OK. The main problem with d/p is that it doesn't do well vs war/holo/fb/chrono, s/d is much better against those matchups by far.

since sind doesn't play/stream anymore due to his ban I recommend you to watch vallun, he mainly plays d/p he also has a youtube channel where he shows rotations and stuff for thieves in pvp.

wtf i do stream im just very busy irl atm prolly until beginning of july then im done with moving and can probably stream consistent again B)

Archived