Best way to find a contested Temple of Dwayna?

I admit I've not been doing this long, I only really started trying to do the temple events last night. But in that time I've been able to find maps where all 4 other temples are contested, complete the event chain (not solo) and cleanse the temple - which got me 4/5 items I need for the Dreamer III collection.

But not Dwayna. I'm told I narrowly missed the event once, because it happened at the same time I was doing the Balthazar temple event, and I've seen the defend event start once - 3 people completed most of it, I jumped in at the end when it was obvious it wouldn't fail and got gold reward and a chest from the boss but it did not drop the item I need for the Dreamer, contrary to rumours I'd seen online.

Things I've tried:

• Waiting on the map for the temple to reset (1.5 hours last night, 1 hour so far this morning)
  • Logging out and back in to try to switch maps
  • Switching guilds and then logging out and back in to try and get into a different copy of the map via being grouped with guild members
  • Asking my guilds to tell me if they see the temple contested
  • Looking for both party and squad messages in LFG
  • Creating a message in LFG looking for a contested temple

Is there anything else I've forgotten to try?

Edit: The other defend event (Risen Lieutenant, not the Priestess) started, but people decided someone who wanted the karma merchant took priority and killed it. Or maybe I didn't push hard enough because asking people to deliberately let an event fail feels absolutely wrong, but it seems like the only way.

I did it!

Guess what worked? Guesting. Remember that?

I guested from Desolation to Blackgate (so from a full server to a medium pop one) and it put me in a different copy of the map where not only was the temple contested but the event to capture it was just starting. So I was able to complete it, fight the statue and get the Dream of Dwayna.

I assume the fact that it dropped me into exactly the type of map I needed was blind luck. But it seems like for things where LFG doesn't get any results guesting is the best way to switch to another copy of the map.

Glad you found what you needed so quickly.

For others interested in finding contested temples and/or dealing with stalled events that are blocking various collections, here's a list of techniques. The easiest way to take advantage of any of them: park a character in the zone, near the start or near the end of the chain that interests you and swap to it, whenever you have a spare minute to check.

Specific to Orr
  • [NA] Brother Drake and [RPcd] (the roleplaying guild) cleanse Orr most Sundays.
  • Weekends are generally better than weekdays.
Generic for Any Map
  • Right after a game update, all event chains are reset (including Orrian temples)
  • Right after a meta or world boss event, if the map has one. In game, use /wiki et to find the wiki's event timer (also: [gw2 timer.com](http://gw2 timer.com), among other sites)
  • Right after a Side Story event chain (applies to a variety of maps, although not Orr); these tend to generate extra instances, which spawn with reset event chains.
  • On days when the map is the target of a daily (e.g. 4-events in the zone)
  • Guesting: generally, sort by server status and pick one of the 'full' ones (if for no other reason than you can't accidental move to the server instead of guesting — unfortunately, to this day, there are more warnings to 'guest' than there are to 'move')

Archived