What order should I play the story?

Hi everyone,

I just got back to Guild Wars 2 after a few years doing other things. I'm a little overwhelmed right now with the sheer amount of content in the game. I really like the story though and I was wondering what order I should complete the story in. There are a lot of characters and background (Glint, Kralkatorik, Taimi, ...) that I just don't understand what's happening. Can someone give me the order of how to complete the stories in the character panel so that they are in chronological order?

In chronological order

• Your Personal Story (levels 10 - 80; the rest of the stories all take place at level 80)
  • Living World Season One (not available to play due to the temporary nature of the story, but there IS a recap available on youtube*, which more or less encompasses the entire thing)
  • Living World Season Two
  • Heart of Thorns
  • Living World Season Three
  • Path of Fire
  • Living World Season Four (in progress)

*Recap

!

Story Order is:

Personal Story (the 10-80 content from the original game)Living Story 1 (you can't do it but there are wiki summaries and a 3+ hour video of almost the whole story, put together by a player, hopefully someone here has a link)Living Story 2 (you will either need to buy the episodes, if you don't already have them for free from logging in back when they were active, or get a friendly player who has them to run the story with you so they can open the instances)Heart of Thorns (you will need to buy the expansion; it may or may not currently be bundled with the Path of Fire expansion for less cost than buying them separately)Living Story 3 (you will need to buy the episodes, unless you happened to have logged in while they were active, as each episode provides a new map you cannot enter without owning them. I am not sure but I think you must also own HoT to enter the new maps).Path of Fire (you will need to buy the expansion)Living Story 4 (only two episodes so far, if you have logged in earlier this year you will have Episode 1 and if you log in right now you will get Episode 2; Episode 3 is expected some time in the next month and will also be free to anyone who logs in. Note that even free accounts can get the episodes for free by logging in, but cannot actually play them until they own the relevant content)

Taimi and the other "Biconics" aka Destiny's Edge 2.0 were introduced in Living Story 1, so you won't be able to directly experience your first meeting with them. There has been a minimal amount of story published in ANet blogs, eg the introduction of Marjory, but those are not needed to understand the plot.

Hope that all helps! Welcome back and enjoy!

@someshta.3809 said:Hi everyone,

I just got back to Guild Wars 2 after a few years doing other things. I'm a little overwhelmed right now with the sheer amount of content in the game. I really like the story though and I was wondering what order I should complete the story in. There are a lot of characters and background (Glint, Kralkatorik, Taimi, ...) that I just don't understand what's happening. Can someone give me the order of how to complete the stories in the character panel so that they are in chronological order?

If were including the Living World stories, it's personal story > Scarlet's War (Living World season 1) > Living World season 2 > HoT story > Living World season 3 > HoT story > Living World season 4.

In my opinion, the Living World stories are nice little story bits that are worthwhile if you enjoy the story, but the major stories and the most important ones are by far the vanilla, HoT and PoF stories.

The Story Journal should list all the releases in chronological order, so you can just work from the top down if you want to play them all. To begin with you'll only see the first episode of your personal story and the two expansions, because you have to play through those storylines in order (in total there's 8 episodes for the personal story, 16 for Heart of Thorns and 13 for Path of Fire).

That and the level requirement is the only restrictions on what order you play them in. Once you're level 80 you can switch freely between your personal story, the expansion stories and any living world episode you own so it's entirely your choice if you want to play them in order to follow the story or skip bits.

• 3 years later...