Bring Back GW1 Heroes Feature?

@aspirine.6852 said:I would settle for an never ending paragon support potion. ?

Yeah but they also have to lower the cooldown for this one. 30 minutes is way to long. It should either be like the rune summons or an always active like the necro stuff.

I don't even know why they get these ridiculous restrictions in the first place, it's not like we're summoning a raid boss or something (even then, 30 minutes would still be overkill). There's no way to justify these restrictions for a trash mob level summon, which gets floored instantaneously by every mildly advanced gameplay mechanic, from a gameplay perspective.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Justine.6351 said:

@Airdive.2613 said:In my opinion, it
shouldn't
work in GW 2 if it is to maintain healthy population. It would both mark the game's decline and actually lead to it.Right now there are enough players in the game to team up with, so let's enjoy real buddies while we can.

Gw1 didn't die because of heros...in fact it's alive today because of them.

Just started playing a 2-3 weeks ago myself. Took a week and a half off enjoy the latest LW episode. Got back to my level 8 R/Mo (I think that's the way they write it) yesterday. :)

@Justine.6351 said:

@"Helix.5274" said:If you played the original Guild Wars, you may remember you could fill your party with variously classed NPCs. In Eye of the North though, a new mechanic was brought in where you could add your other playable characters to your party.

History lesson: Heroes were added in
Nightfall
, not EotN. The "Seven Heroes" feature was added much later.

Reading lesson: He is referring to Mercenaries not Heroes.

Mercenary Heroes were added long, long after EotN. (I started playing GW1 about three years after EotN released, and Mercenary Heroes weren't in the game at that point.)

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Helix.5274" said:If you played the original Guild Wars, you may remember you could fill your party with variously classed NPCs. In Eye of the North though, a new mechanic was brought in where you could add your other playable characters to your party.

History lesson: Heroes were added in
Nightfall
, not EotN. The "Seven Heroes" feature was added much later.

Reading lesson: He is referring to Mercenaries not Heroes.

Mercenary Heroes were added long, long after EotN. (I started playing GW1 about three years after EotN released, and Mercenary Heroes weren't in the game at that point.)

Full history lesson:Nightfall was released in 2006, it added Heroes to the game, you could only have 3 heroes at a timeEye of the North was released in 2007, it added more Heroes to the game, the limit of heroes remained at 3Mercenary Heroes and the ability to use 7 Heroes were added in 2011, 4 years after the release of EotN and 5 years after Nightfall

As said before, not really for this but not really against it either. But if they do:

• Only HENCHMEN (not Heroes)
  • Only allowed in: Story Instances, Dungeons, and Fractals (without AR)

Henchmen because pre-made, so ANet can set a functional build at the level they want them. Removing the "build" component will make them easier accessible to the average people that needs the help through the dungeons/stories etc. It also lets ANet set the overall strength of the npc, so they don't outperform another player, thus discouraging player interaction/grouping. It also avoids the problem of players making builds based on things the AI can't figure out (and more annoying gearing).

Obviously only for instanced content, Story Instances and Dungeons are the two obvious ones that people have trouble with (for reasons of few people interested in, or wanting to do them "solo" etc). Fractals are a bit more questionable, but by not giving Henchmen AR you can effectively lock them out of higher level fractals, thus helping people getting started with low level fractals.

Would make sense to use the existing Destiny's Edge 1.0 and 2.0 members I guess, since we deal with them often enough as is.

I loved that back in GW1, with the henchmen and heroes, specially you were able to add skins of your own characters to be partied up as you could play with your own characters all together, :)

This could be a cool idea indeed, but the party heroes should be locked during group plays, dungeons/fractals/raids/wvw/pvp etc.But in the open free world of PvE, why not? :)

Archived