So when can we have a real sword skin? Like mine.

xuse.6817

(Link to Cloud's Buster Sword from Man at Arms - skip to around 4:10 to see how silly swords of this size are)

Considering many greatswords in animation are this size (or bigger), it's surprising they don't deal more damage. :p Still, when it comes to animated weapons, the bigger the better I say - while smaller weapons are more historically accurate, they just don't look as visually impressive - which is probably the reason why many "knives" are the size of short-swords, and bucklers don't exist.

I'd just call it an acceptable break from reality.

I don't know about the one on the left, but the other one is a wall hanger if I've ever seen one. That grip looks super uncomfortable.

Edit: found it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shen-Feng-Bao-Jian-Chinese-Sword-with-Folded-Steel-Blade-Gold-Plated-Fittings/192521628238?hash=item2cd32eea4e%3Ag%3AALoAAOSwUWpa4Jw1&_sacat=0&_nkw=jian+sword&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R3.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.XJian.TRS0

I don't buy swords, but this "seven stars trading company" looks a little sketchy to me. Though I suppose it's fitting that a Chinese sword is made in China. I just hope it doesn't randomly explode.

@"Quarktastic.1027" said:I don't buy swords, but this "seven stars trading company" looks a little sketchy to me. Though I suppose it's fitting that a Chinese sword is made in China. I just hope it doesn't randomly explode.

Huanuo makes Cold Steel's chinese swords and they aren't really known for the best quality control if you read Kult of Athena's commentary on them. The ray skin grip is made similarly to the Ronin tang dao that Skallagrim torture tested, and yes, he didn't like the grip, and yes, the pins on the decoration on the grip would probably break easy, I didn't pick that one up to cut but the blade is sturdy albeit seems a bit too thick (CS Gim feels like a bat and the shen feng is even thicker).As to price, he usually sells them for 1200, mine was discounted for missing gems, the black one also wasn't cheap.

Like I said, Huanuo and the forge Ronin/SBG (Zhejiang zhengs) use aren't cheap and are known for doing well in torture tests. As to your comment about damascus/pattern weld, Kult of Athena sells Cold Steel(huanuo) blades for around 400-600 and I'm pretty sure a lot of them were plenty durable. Pattern weld in general, and differential hardening is weaker than through hardened, so what's your point?

My only concern with chinese style swords is that while they do have a full tang, they often have a welded on screw at the end of the tang and only one peg inserted through the tang, unlike reproduction katana that usually have two pegs and traditional assembly. Rodell says he's never had one break in that manner though, and there is plenty videos of people beating up Cold Steel stuff and other jian with similar assembly, so...ymmv? By the time a sword is broken, the hilt/grip is usually still intact (but loose) pretty much regardless.

Archived