Raptor Seems Redundant After Jackal Acquisition

Iason Evan.3806

I love the raptor and I like the skin more than the Jackal(I still love the jackal skin)but the raptor feels redundant after acquiring the jackal. I can even jump farther and also take no fall damage if I make a mistake on my Jackal.

I'd really like to suggest a change to what the raptor can do to make it viable and unique mechanically for players after they get the jackal.

@Evolute.6239 said:Raptor is flat out faster than Jackal when ability spamming and both take irrelevant fall damage with the Springer T4 mastery.

This is only true on flat land. Someone on reddit calculated the flat-land speeds on the mounts, and raptor and jackal are almost equally fast, jackal being a bit slower by a couple %.

However. Most of Tyria consists of rough terrain and different obstacles. The raptor's jump ability will always cut short if you hit a bump in the road, a rock, an uphill etc. Thus you can't really spam the jump with maximum distance all that much. The jackal's teleport ability however is not cut short so easily, and you can ascend slight uphills and uneven terrain much faster. Also, in more vertical maps you will constantly be falling to your death with the raptor, slowing your travel time substantially. With the jackal you can free-fall anytime you want, correct your direction mid-air, and you will never be dismounted due to fall damage.

I did some research myself too, and ran some core Tyrian maps from one end to the other. I don't have any numbers to show right now, but the jackal was always faster by a minute or two at minimum.

@Zackie.8923 said:i think anet needs to differentiate the jackal from the raptor more. also, the griffon should not be the ultimate mount. every mount should have its place.

Agreed. They just aren't all that different from each other too warrant having them be a separate thing. Would love to see them both be like liam Neeson and have "a very particular set of skills."

@Iason Evan.3806 said:

@Zackie.8923 said:i think anet needs to differentiate the jackal from the raptor more. also, the griffon should not be the ultimate mount. every mount should have its place.

Agreed. They just aren't all that different from each other too warrant having them be a separate thing. Would love to see them both be like liam Neeson and have "a very particular set of skills."

I personally don't want my mounts threatening to find and kill me everytime I dismount :(

@iAimToPlease.7304 said:I feel like I can get around the map a lot faster on a Raptor than on a Jackal.

What I like more about the Jackal though is that I get a shield when using its attack and I like that its mobility skill can be used to evade attacks.

Once you have Jackal fully mastered, all movement abilities will evade. The Skimmer makes the best use of this for the longest evasion period in the game.

Archived