How to build a mesmer for pve.

try asking in the mirage section of the forums, you'll get a more accurate response there.As for your question, to get some specifics, best for what? Will you just be going for open world or do you plan to get into t4 fractals and raids? If the former; what do you want to do? Farming, do power damage, solo champs, play as open world heal/boon support, or play as condi damage dealer?

I asked a little while ago about a sword / sword build (https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/52984/looking-for-advice-for-sword-sword-build) and have been really enjoying using the build suggested in the last post on there.

Previously I'd really struggled with adapting to playing/enjoying mesmer (I main ele), but I've been having real fun with that sword/sword build, and now enjoy the class as much as my ele. Since using that sword/sword build I've done full map completion of core, HoT, PoF, and all LS maps, and found I had very little trouble at all (mostly solo, except map metas and some HPs in HoT where I joined HP runs etc). I still struggle a little when I get hit with condis (lava wurms in Sirens Landing for example seemed to melt my health before I could react with a cleanse, or I'd get condi'd again while my cleanses were on cd). Have done a few dungeons comfortably, haven't got AR on my mesmer though so haven't taken it into fractals.

Of course ask on the mesmer section, as I'm still relatively new to the class so not really qualified to give advice, but that build is certainly worth a look.

What type of mesmer are you looking to build? Core? Chrono? Mirage? Do you prefer support roles or damage? Do you have a preference between power or condition damage?

Chrono and core are probably better off using power setups (usually sword/x and greatsword). And Chrono is the best support spec in the game. Meanwhile, Mirage is more of a damage dealer that relies on condition damage and has superior survivability (best weapons: axe/torch). It really depends on what you want to do.

I don't really play any mesmer builds aside from Mirage, but I'm pretty good with that one. If you have the PoF expansion and your mesmer is level 80, you might want to give it a go. If so, check out this thread on the mesmer forum as it has a lot of discussion and build links that may give you some ideas: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/30394/open-world-domination-mirage#latest

Here's a sample video of my Mirage in open world:

Archived