ROM's 2v2 tourney was pretty good

Liza.2758

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@Nebilim.5127 said:I always thought this game had kitten poor balance 1v1, is 2v2 better in that regard? I try to imagine what could possibly be undefeating cancer, like scourge+firebrand or 2 mirages/thieves being able to disengage/stealth

2v2 is much more fun than 1v1. You can create synergies between the 2 classes in your team. In 1v1 many matchups are impossible but in 2v2 they are actually winnable. Besides, mender firebrand, class stacking and amulet stacking were forbidden in this tournament.

Did anet said they were going to support the upcoming 2v2 with tourneys and so on, or if it were going to turn out abandoned like our deathmatch in custom arena?

I'm wondering about this now, other games deal with healing classes by stacking a debuff that reduces healing as the matches takes too long to finish. Or taking other considerations like most damage dealt in a time frame. What else could be done short of completely banning classes? Probably a killzone circle that gets shorter the longer the match takes too, to avoid kiting/stealth classes doing it forever.

Edit: i just realized there is a custom arena with these rules but it isn't supported by anet with any rewards...what the in world. Are we stuck with conquest for the rest of this game life?

We plan on supporting other game-modes with special event tournaments in the future. We're working on enhancements to the Automated Tournament system before we can do this though. Unfortunately, it's taken far longer than we hoped, but we're making progress.

what about new game modes such as Teamdeatch match, king of the hill, etc... ?

Once we have the tech in place to do so, I'd like to run a special tournament at least once per quarter. We could certainly do a 5-person team deathmatch special tournament on Courtyard.

hire me for free

Deathmatch is the best.Just out of curiosity, did every people who want deathmatch have done WvW gvg recently ? (or had ever done GvG in their life ?)Ok there is stats difference but more importantly :

• there are classes who will never be played in 5c5 deathmatch. (aka class with good aoe synergy (GWENR WvW meta) will have a hudge advantage.)
  • once one people is down over full CC& burst, it's over with no comeback possible.

I'm ready to bet that once deathmatch still officially exist, you will only be hyped during max 2 month then found it boring as hell. But we will see.

I'm just afraid that we will have the same issues than with PvE raids : a game mode that was incompatible with base gw2 so they have to change almost everything in specs to put it in a shoehorns (and we lost many builds diversity.). Trying to insert what other game does in another game is rarely healthy from my experience.

@"viquing.8254" said:

Deathmatch is the best.Just out of curiosity, did every people who want deathmatch have done WvW gvg recently ? (or had ever done GvG in their life ?)Ok there is stats difference but more importantly :
  • there are classes who will
    never
    be played in 5c5 deathmatch. (aka class with good aoe synergy (GWENR WvW meta) will have a hudge advantage.)
  • once one people is down over full CC& burst, it's over with no comeback possible.

I'm ready to bet that once deathmatch still officially exist, you will only be hyped during max 2 month then found it boring as hell. But we will see.

I'm just afraid that we will have the same issues than with PvE raids : a game mode that was incompatible with base gw2 so they have to change almost everything in specs to put it in a shoehorns (and we lost many builds diversity.). Trying to insert what other game does in another game is rarely healthy from my experience.

Deathmatch already kind of happened in courtyard map back in days. Today, due to powercreep, it would for sure be unplayable as a solo queue mode. But it could have opportunities as " team queue " eventually..

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@Nebilim.5127 said:I always thought this game had kitten poor balance 1v1, is 2v2 better in that regard? I try to imagine what could possibly be undefeating cancer, like scourge+firebrand or 2 mirages/thieves being able to disengage/stealth

2v2 is much more fun than 1v1. You can create synergies between the 2 classes in your team. In 1v1 many matchups are impossible but in 2v2 they are actually winnable. Besides, mender firebrand, class stacking and amulet stacking were forbidden in this tournament.

Did anet said they were going to support the upcoming 2v2 with tourneys and so on, or if it were going to turn out abandoned like our deathmatch in custom arena?

I'm wondering about this now, other games deal with healing classes by stacking a debuff that reduces healing as the matches takes too long to finish. Or taking other considerations like most damage dealt in a time frame. What else could be done short of completely banning classes? Probably a killzone circle that gets shorter the longer the match takes too, to avoid kiting/stealth classes doing it forever.

Edit: i just realized there is a custom arena with these rules but it isn't supported by anet with any rewards...what the in world. Are we stuck with conquest for the rest of this game life?

We plan on supporting other game-modes with special event tournaments in the future. We're working on enhancements to the Automated Tournament system before we can do this though. Unfortunately, it's taken far longer than we hoped, but we're making progress.

Can you consider making the 2v2 tournaments permanent? Why does it have to be seasonal, please let us queue up for 2v2s. It is actually insanely hard to try to find a group of 5 with matching schedules and practice 2-3 times a week just to be competitive. It's a big commitment for many and you rely on people to show up. where as in 2v2s I can just grab a friend and play together. I don't even mind if the rewards suck, I'ts sounds so much fun and it actually is more acessible and just opens up the options.

@viquing.8254 said:

• there are classes who will
    never
    be played in 5c5 deathmatch. (aka class with good aoe synergy (GWENR WvW meta) will have a hudge advantage.)

You cannot compare wvw with spvp. Spvp is actually balanced. And you are clearly underestimating how bloated stats in wvw among many other things contribute to how broken it is.

Archived