Pre Seering Ascalon Instance for GW2

Sombra.3246

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Danikat.8537" said:Pre-searing is apparently the autumn (according to the intro) and I'm not sure if GW2 Ascalon is earlier in the summer when everything is dry, or later in the autumn when more of the leaves have turned, but either way I think if we had a map set at a slightly different time of the year (or if we had seasons in the game as a whole) it would look quite different.

Pre-Searing is one day(1) in early autumn, where the trees have already started to turn - the intro to Prophecies asserts that you begin on "the last day". In GW2 Ascalon, everything's a bit yellow-ish because the land is still sick, a bit, with the aftereffects of the Searing.

(1) Which prompted a musing on my part: during that one day, you gain, say, nine or ten levels, possibly as many as 19 (1->20 is +19 levels, thanks), then in the two years that follow, the only XP you gain are the 500 for completing the end-of-Pre mission. How exactly does that work?

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:Pre-searing is apparently the autumn (according to the intro) and I'm not sure if GW2 Ascalon is earlier in the summer when everything is dry, or later in the autumn when more of the leaves have turned, but either way I think if we had a map set at a slightly different time of the year (or if we had seasons in the game as a whole) it would look quite different.

Pre-Searing is
one day
(1) in early autumn, where the trees have already started to turn - the intro to Prophecies asserts that you begin on "the last day". In GW2 Ascalon, everything's a bit yellow-ish because the land is still sick, a bit, with the aftereffects of the Searing.

(1) Which prompted a musing on my part: during that one day, you gain, say, nine or ten levels, possibly as many as 19 (1->20 is +19 levels, thanks), then in the two years that follow, the only XP you gain are the 500 for completing the end-of-Pre mission. How exactly does that work?

The amount of XP you can get in pre-searing varies a lot. If you only do the bare minimum to get out you leave at level 2. If you do all the quests I think you get to about level 6 or 7 and anything beyond that required you to farm XP. (Although if you're going for Legendary Defender of Ascalon the recommendation is to farm XP first then complete the quests once you're not able to get XP from normal enemies.)

I always thought of it as a combination of retroactively awarding the experience and levels your character would have gained before then (because they're not supposed to be brand new to all this, they've obviously had some training in how to fight before they start or they wouldn't be expected to help the army) and that in real life, just like in game mechanics, you often learn faster when you're new to something because there's so much you don't know that it's easy to discover new things, whereas later on it's rarer and the things you are learning probably take longer to get the hang of.

@"Sombra.3246" said:Nostalgia is a poweful thing. I miss spending time in pre seering ascalon, I would love it if they make a pre seering ascalon instance a bonus pack or something and give us more background stories about the seering as bonus missions. What do you guys think?

I think it sounds like the idea Blizzard had in WoW when they introduced Caverns of Time and what Anet (partially) does in FotM. I would definitely appreciate it if they would introduce "new" fractals with reworked content from Guild Wars 1 addons <3

So, no matter how it is introduced: I'm up for that :+1:

I see a new living world chapter, a mad man/char/whatever goes back in time and destroys the timeline making changes to the present that we as the heroes must go undo.Enchantments are placed on us so we appear "normal" to ourselves, race profession etc but the residents see us as some one who "fits in" to their world. We would go back and interact with the the original cast while hunting down the mad man and undoing his plot to save the present. Hey, it works in Star Trek all the time, right?

Archived