Pre Seering Ascalon Instance for GW2

Sombra.3246

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pre Searing is still active in gw1.I don't really think it would translate well to gw2. It is a solo/duo region that through quirk was balanced and showed off some of the games underlying mechanics quite well. This existed until they added vanguard missions. Gw2 is just a mindless dps button smash where "hard" foes just come with more hp/damage rather than better ai and skill line ups.

• ArenaNet Staff

I would dearly love to revisit pre-Searing Ascalon, through any means. My reaction to the title of this thread was, "Yes, please!"

I am not sure if such a visit would be possible, but rest assured, the devs are very cognizant of our love of "the old places" and they feel, as we do, the power and the beautify of nostalgia. You may have noticed a few additions this year that point to that very awareness and a shared respect for Tyrian history. <3

I personally think it would be nice to see how pre would look like with the current graphics, but not developed in any other way. However I think the magic wouldn't be there.Although I want Cantha and hope that will be a thing, some of the GW:EN areas in GW were stunning then and I'd rather see the Charr homelands- for one- in today's Graphics or the Norm area's.Was kind of sad to see my new HoM was just a pile of rubble when I had worked so hard to max it in GW.

I'm willing to pay money to see that happen :P

Seriously it's a great idea. Even if it's just a kind of Asura-Simulation(Holodeck), that let's us visit the most popular places of GW1 we all love. I'm willing to fund this idea ^^

It could also be a great idea to have such a Simulator with variable level to fill in for the leveling gaps we experience in certain levels. The Code is already there and the models(Fractals, SF-Training Area etc).

I guess we all had the one character sitting in the tutorial. And there's no reason we actually need a physical representation of ourselves like in the "Terminator" Mission to save Gwen.

i have mixed feelings on this - as a death leveler well (before the presearing missions add on)- having spent many hours as a Gate monkey - hell that was my character name in pre - i d love to revisit those areas in a fractal type matrix. i still get the feels when i'm in la and swim to the bottom of the lake to the steps where sergio the skills guy stood- so many hours camped out there lfg and what not - if i go a bit further ...i miss green weapon farming when i knew that killing a certain boss dropped exactly what i was after.I miss so much from Gw1 that once a day i log in just so i can spend time with all my tonics- That champ balt tonic in in full ghostly armour and the dragon - i could go on for days of every aspect of gw1 i loved-it just have to be implemented in a way that doesn't cheapen the experience to the remaining veterans of the Guild Wars world .

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:I would dearly love to revisit pre-Searing Ascalon, through any means. My reaction to the title of this thread was, "Yes, please!"

I am not sure if such a visit would be possible, but rest assured, the devs are very cognizant of our love of "the old places" and they feel, as we do, the power and the beautify of nostalgia. You may have noticed a few additions this year that point to that very awareness and a shared respect for Tyrian history. <3

this comment reminds when i get nostalgia i open both games and go to related places and check out differences between the old gw1 places and how they are in gw2 and reminisce. ive done it since the gw2 came out and when new areas come out i check them out relating to the old areas

I would spend hours on an instance where you "clean up" pre-searing ascalon and restore it's beauty. Call it a rift in time to a war-scarred ascalon that you have access to but won't change the course of history. Run around and do gw1 quests to slowly re-build the surrounding area. Could be fun!

@"Kodiak.4213" said:I would spend hours on an instance where you "clean up" pre-searing ascalon and restore it's beauty. Call it a rift in time to a war-scarred ascalon that you have access to but won't change the course of history. Run around and do gw1 quests to slowly re-build the surrounding area. Could be fun!

That makes no sense though from the lore of what actually happened, unless you are forced to do it from the Charrs point of view which even then would take many years after they finally drove out almost all of the humans in the region.

The reason the searing happened is cause the humans lost, there was no ability to clean up as they never got the chance.

@ricky markham.8173 said:

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:I would dearly love to revisit pre-Searing Ascalon, through any means. My reaction to the title of this thread was, "Yes, please!"

this comment reminds when i get nostalgia i open both games and go to related places and check out differences between the old gw1 places and how they are in gw2 and reminisce. ive done it since the gw2 came out and when new areas come out i check them out relating to the old areas

I do that too!

When I first got my human character to Ascalon I logged into GW1 to compare and I think I was able to find the exact spot where you first start in Prophecies:

LpJQxSeh.jpgkY6hin6h.jpgp4K5D0wh.jpg

Of course the bridge is different and the terrain has changed a bit but looking at the wall and the stuff which is still there I think I got it right.

@Dante.1763 said:

@"Kodiak.4213" said:I would spend hours on an instance where you "clean up" pre-searing ascalon and restore it's beauty. Call it a rift in time to a war-scarred ascalon that you have access to but won't change the course of history. Run around and do gw1 quests to slowly re-build the surrounding area. Could be fun!

That makes no sense though from the lore of what actually happened, unless you are forced to do it from the Charrs point of view which even then would take many years
after
they finally drove out almost all of the humans in the region.

The reason the searing happened is cause the humans
lost
, there was no ability to clean up as they never got the chance.

Not everything has to be "according to lore". It was just an example. I'm sure if something like this was coming to the game - which, let's face it, will probably not happen so it's all a moot point anyway - I'm sure the writers would come up with a much better story than mine. Cheers.

@Kodiak.4213 said:

@Kodiak.4213 said:I would spend hours on an instance where you "clean up" pre-searing ascalon and restore it's beauty. Call it a rift in time to a war-scarred ascalon that you have access to but won't change the course of history. Run around and do gw1 quests to slowly re-build the surrounding area. Could be fun!

That makes no sense though from the lore of what actually happened, unless you are forced to do it from the Charrs point of view which even then would take many years
after
they finally drove out almost all of the humans in the region.

The reason the searing happened is cause the humans
lost
, there was no ability to clean up as they never got the chance.

Not everything has to be "according to lore". It was just an example. I'm sure if something like this was coming to the game - which, let's face it, will probably not happen so it's all a moot point anyway - I'm sure the writers would come up with a much better story than mine. Cheers.

No, im sorry, stuff like the Searing of Ascalon is a major point in the games lore, you cant just "Not have it happen cause i wanna do this thing".

I dont mind visiting pre searing Ascalon, its very lovely, i support that idea, needs to be true to the lore though, so it needs to be weeks before the Searing happened, and left in that time zone.

Archived