[Suggestion] Ascended gift bags.

Tekoneiric.6817

@"Tekoneiric.6817" said:Given the spirit of the season I'd like to suggest an item: Ascended gift bags. Gift bags that only takes ascended gear which is put in a non-bound status as long as it's in the bag and once filled can only be emailed to the intended recipient, not sold on the TP.

In the sense when you put the items in it they become "Un-Accountbound"?

Then what happens to it if you take it out?

Edit: If this happens, would be next year as it's too late now.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

@"Tekoneiric.6817" said:Given the spirit of the season I'd like to suggest an item: Ascended gift bags. Gift bags that only takes ascended gear which is put in a non-bound status as long as it's in the bag and once filled can only be emailed to the intended recipient, not sold on the TP.

They become account bound to whoever takes them out.

This would likely lead to a black market for ascended items - I'll sell you ascended X for Y gold, etc. Which then likely leads to all sorts of other problems (person didn't give me the item or gold, gave me something different, etc).Anet had some reasons to make items account bound, so it seems very unlikely they would ever provide a way to make them un account bound. I could also see this as a way for players to equip up secondary accounts and the like.

You can donate enough ascended mats to someone so that they can make their own.

ANet has reasons for making ascended account bound. If you want the status quo to change, convince them that there are good reasons for ascended gear to be unbound on acquire, account bound on use; they aren't going to spend energy inventing a new mechanic/UI that will undermine the existing system they worked hard to create.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:You can donate enough ascended mats to someone so that they can make their own.

ANet has reasons for making ascended account bound. If you want the status quo to change, convince them that there are good reasons for ascended gear to be unbound on acquire, account bound on use; they aren't going to spend energy inventing a new mechanic/UI that will undermine the existing system they worked hard to create.We were talking about gifting ascended drops on the forum somewhere. Here is a good reason for anet.Wrapping papers for 250 gems each.You wrap ascended chest/item and send it to friend/guildie, they unwrap and its acc bound.Blackmarket for ascended won't happen as game doesn't have trading system. Hardly anyone will spend gems and risk.There come middleman but its way to much hassle for 40-50 gold, right?Then again, one warps it into 'gifting paper' and sends to someone else, it's a gift. If someone decide to sell and get scammed that way, they have only themselves to blame.

@phs.6089 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:You can donate enough ascended mats to someone so that they can make their own.

ANet has reasons for making ascended account bound. If you want the status quo to change, convince them that there are good reasons for ascended gear to be unbound on acquire, account bound on use; they aren't going to spend energy inventing a new mechanic/UI that will undermine the existing system they worked hard to create.We were talking about gifting ascended drops on the forum somewhere. Here is a good reason for anet.Wrapping papers for 250 gems each.You wrap ascended chest/item and send it to friend/guildie, they unwrap and its acc bound.Blackmarket for ascended won't happen as game doesn't have trading system. Hardly anyone will spend gems and risk.There come middleman but its way to much hassle for 40-50 gold, right?Then again, one warps it into 'gifting paper' and sends to someone else, it's a gift. If someone decide to sell and get scammed that way, they have only themselves to blame.

I can see it gem priced more like BL keys and other consumables.

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:Given the spirit of the season I'd like to suggest an item: Ascended gift bags. Gift bags that only takes ascended gear which is put in a non-bound status as long as it's in the bag and once filled can only be emailed to the intended recipient, not sold on the TP.

They become account bound to whoever takes them out.

I meant "you" as in the person putting it in. Just to make sure they always become bound on removal.

@phs.6089 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:You can donate enough ascended mats to someone so that they can make their own.

ANet has reasons for making ascended account bound. If you want the status quo to change, convince them that there are good reasons for ascended gear to be unbound on acquire, account bound on use; they aren't going to spend energy inventing a new mechanic/UI that will undermine the existing system they worked hard to create.We were talking about gifting ascended drops on the forum somewhere. Here is a good reason for anet.Wrapping papers for 250 gems each.You wrap ascended chest/item and send it to friend/guildie, they unwrap and its acc bound.That still undermines the existing system.

Blackmarket for ascended won't happen as game doesn't have trading system. Hardly anyone will spend gems and risk.There's an existing gray market already for bound items that can be turned into unbound items.

There come middleman but its way to much hassle for 40-50 gold, right?Not currently, no. People use the gray market to save 40-50 gold. Traders with good reputations don't use a broker.There are plenty of people who would pay gems and/or gold to avoid having to deal with GW2 crafting for ascended (even though a lot of us think that crafting isn't burdensome in this game).

Then again, one warps it into 'gifting paper' and sends to someone else, it's a gift. If someone decide to sell and get scammed that way, they have only themselves to blame.The entire TP is designed to avoid "they have only themselves to blame" scenarios. This adds one.

Anyhow, it's not me that needs convincing. It's ANet. I still think they'd overhaul the system before undermining it using a kludge.

That said, I think creating "gift wrapping paper" for unbound items is a great idea.

Archived