WvW Didn't need gliding, and definitely doesn't need mounts.

Idaeus.9564

@Hugheszie.6291 said:The mount might be a good thing, I'm looking forward to obtaining it. I don't like the idea that now zerging will be super fast, i.e. we all mount up and storm to new locations really fast, BUT it could be good. We'll see. And if they can bash down doors, I guess my Rams are pointless XD Unless we can get dismounted obv.

I think it would be really good if done right, to promote Flame Rams.Currently people on my server only PvD if a commander says so and everyone actually listens to that commander and otherwise my server doesn't even use flame rams.If the mounts could soften the door to let flame rams do more damage, that would really promote PvD for flame ram situations. But maybe that is only relevant on my server from what I have seen and experienced.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@TheGrimm.5624 said:In your opinion. Gliding added a lot of depth to WvW and fit even more into vertical aspects of the maps. This was a welcome change. It also added more value in owning land that you choose to fight over since it added more strategy into want you want to hold and what allows you to move around faster. Fights now were no longer X & Y but you had to consider Z. IMO, they added a lot of value.

The vertical aspect was more important beforehand because it gave terrain that was potentially deadly and areas were fight dodgers couldn't escape easily. Defending objectives with even numbers was already easy enough. Maybe if you made it so you can't start gliding when already in combat it would be alright.

This.

By reducing the impact of terrain features on the battlefield, gliding reduced tactical play IMO.

Before that, you would fight the same fights with the same consequences for both sides.A fight now has to be undertaken with more thought, trying to push a team up onto what would normally be deadly terrain is great, but what if you pushed them there without paying attention to who owns the area, they can glide and turn it back around on you because of a misplay.It makes land ownership and strategy of that ownership more important. It can give more options on way to attack a group whilst also making an enemy need to be more cautious of what is around them.It added different strategies and different play styles, that is good for WvW. You can't play the same WvW forever. There are so many complaints that nothing changes in WvW, but changes they attempt to make are met with anger.

Of course this change was going to be mounts, ya'll the only ones who wouldn't pay for any mount skins because you don't have any mounts. But you get a unique mount, one that is designed for WvW specifically, this should enable even more interesting play compared to what gliders did and it opens the option for larger maps with mount specific activities for stuff like Bloodlust on a new map somewhere.

What made gliders work though is the lack of skills that effect wvw combat and siegeing. Mounts are kind of need on some of the maps for MS but MS only the skills add too much and removes the need for other things in the game. Even glider got some nice use in the newer map all though the counter to them never works well.

Archived