Im curious why no ranged specs in this game?

Tiviana.2650

@Tiviana.2650 said:

@"Abelisk.4527" said:This is so confusing... every class in the game has a "Ranged" build that does nice damage!

Ele has staff (fully in range because 1 weapon set)

Guardian has Dragonhunter that offers CC and damage

Thief has Deadeye that offers damage

Ranger has longbow (longest projectile distance out of any skill)

Mesmer has Greatsword (Mirage GS is excellent for open world farming and tagging in WvW)

Necromancer has shades from range (and I think lich form counts?) Plus staff

Engineer has rifle and turrets

Warrior has rifle with spiked bursts from ranged

Revenant (Renegade) has shortbow and spirits which can be casted from afar

I'm assuming this is NOT for Raids and Fractals--if it is, the problem isn't the lack of Ranged specs but rather the boss and stacking design.

And its absolute kitten for dps, i tried in fracs tonight longbow doing 5000 dps lol to my GS 40k dps, attacking from ranged as a ranger is abysmal. To be clear im not about open world or wvw so much i mean in raids and fracs. From what i have been told longbow on a ranger is a utility weapon not a damage weapon, that seems to bear out. It takes me 5 times longer to kill something with a bow than with melee. I understand lots of classes can use ranged it just sucks that rangers longbow is terrible.

try shortbow/shortbow ranger. It's not as long range s the longbow but it does good dps with little effort, SnowCrows has guides.

There is also the elephant in the room people seem to be ignoring ... there are many cases where there simply isn't much space in the boss area such as the case in several fractals. Sometimes it also triggers detrimental results such causing VB's matriarch to do its charge or Cliffside's archdiviner to use his leap attack or to make the molten berserker teleport around

@Khisanth.2948 said:There is also the elephant in the room people seem to be ignoring ... there are many cases where there simply isn't much space in the boss area such as the case in several fractals. Sometimes it also triggers detrimental results such causing VB's matriarch to do its charge or Cliffside's archdiviner to use his leap attack or to make the molten berserker teleport around

Yeah, most fractals bosses have attacks that exists just to punish players that play too safe at range. If you stay at range too long you'll get targeted more often.

@Tzarakiel.7490 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:There is also the elephant in the room people seem to be ignoring ... there are many cases where there simply isn't much space in the boss area such as the case in several fractals. Sometimes it also triggers detrimental results such causing VB's matriarch to do its charge or Cliffside's archdiviner to use his leap attack or to make the molten berserker teleport around

Yeah, most fractals bosses have attacks that exists just to punish players that play too safe at range. If you stay at range too long you'll get targeted more often.

That is the case for Archdiviner but with the Volcanic boss it is not as direct. If it aggros on you and you are standing near a sacrifice victim then it becomes counterproductive. Although it does have a more direct response as well but that one you can at least take advantage of to reflect of use it to trigger healing from druid staff 5. I don't think it is actually worth baiting that but it is at least something you can play around with.

@kasoki.5180 said:Short radius of boonshare and lack of single target heals. Also, lack of cleaving auto attacks on ranged weapons.

This game mostly stimulates you to stack at the boss feet because that's the safest way to get/share boons and get/share heals.

Several ranged weapons does have an AA that is either AoE or bouncing projectile, staff ele, renegade SB, pistol on engi, mortar kit, grenades, mesmer staff, ranger axe, dragonhunter longbow, thief shortbow

Archived