Etherbound Greaves - Buyer's Remorse

Since the Etherbound Greaves were data mined a few weeks back, I've been nothing but anticipating when they would be available in the gem store. Finally this morning I was happy to see them for sale! I immediately put them on my Firebrand, but noticed something looked VERY off compared to when I had first fell in love with them. I thought it was just me not having looked at them since they were initially data mined so I went back and looked at the screenshots I had taken to confirm my suspicions. They made the boots more chunky. :/ I understand that items data mined are subject to change, but it was love at first sight with these boots because they were slim and well proportioned for ALL ARMOR WEIGHTS. I find myself extremely disappointed that they chunkified what I was hoping would be contenders for best heavy-looking styled boots in the game. I do not wish to come off as nit-picky, but the choice to make the boots bigger has given me buyer's remorse and as such I may just request a refund of my gems. Please stop with the stove pipe calf boots. :pepehands:

Data mined Etherbound when first posted:fA706pv.png

Current version:ODDOcK1.png

Just open images in separate tabs and swap back and forth between them to see the difference.

TLDR: THE BOOTS GOT FAT, AM I THE ONLY ONE UPSET ABOUT IT

@Fengzhou.9853 said:Are you sure it isn't just an optical illusion because of the color difference?.. White is known to make things look a lot larger then they are.

I made sure to triple check that and they definitely got bigger. Good looking out though because that was my first thought as well since I threw permafrost on them right away.

@MissMajor.8290 said:

@Fengzhou.9853 said:Are you sure it isn't just an optical illusion because of the color difference?.. White is known to make things look a lot larger then they are.

I made sure to triple check that and they definitely got bigger. Good looking out though because that was my first thought as well since I threw permafrost on them right away.

They're really not that different imo. I kinda like that they're chunkier. Too many skin tight things in this game as it is. Again, personal preference and all that lol.

@Fengzhou.9853 said:

They're really not that different imo. I kinda like that they're chunkier. Too many skin tight things in this game as it is. Again, personal preference and all that lol.

For boots, I'd disagree and say the game actually has the exact opposite. Too many proportionally awkward. It definitely seems like they made them larger, perhaps to deal with clipping? But they just join the list of others that look, idk, awkward? Gigantic thigh calves are a thing in Tyria I guess.

Yeah agreed. Previewing it earlier compared to now, the whole boot manages to look more awkward especially considering it was already quite large with the hook and the particle effects. It's actually a lot more difficult for me to find a good leg skin to pair with them, and makes it difficult for me to use on light/med.

It's worth asking support if they can manage a refund. Typically they do it readily for items; they are more reluctant for unlocks (I'm sure everyone can see how easily generosity could be abused, since ANet has no way of removing the unlock from the account).

There are a lot of reasons why things can look differently in preview. I think the OP did a fantastic job of trying to remove as many variables as possible from consideration.

I note that there are some other differences between the two images:

• In 'before', the buckle is blue; in 'after', it's white.
  • 'Before' the "stripe" is charcoal; 'after', it's white
  • Similarly the 'stripe' down the front changes from charcoal/brown to white.

tl;dr based on the evidence, it's possible that the OP has discovered what fashionistas have long known: 'white' is not slimming.

I reckon the chances are (ahem) slim that ANet actually made a significant change in the design from when that shaman posted two weeks ago and the release today.

Finally, it's also worth reaching out to that shaman. It's entirely possible that he can compare the actual before and after images, assuming he saves copies of what he discovers. Regardless of any of our perceptions, that would be hard data that might get the attention of one of the designers.

Archived