Did I get ripped off?

A paid copy of the core game is much better than a free version. Free players can get to level 80 and access all the core game content but if you want to do anything more than just play through the story or do basic PvP the restrictions are going to get frustrating. Especially not being able to use map chat and not getting laurels from login rewards (which are used to get top tier equipment).

Free accounts are basically an extended demo. There's no time limit and the only content limit is that you can't access expansion/living world areas, but the more you play the more restrictive it gets.

Being unable to buy or sell most items on the Trading Post also bothers me when I'm on my free account, even though it's not my main one so it doesn't matter if I'm losing money.

Either of the expansion packs would have included the fully unlocked core game as well. So if you look at it that way you may feel ripped off if you ever get an expansion pack (Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire). If you only intend to play core game or wanna get a headstart as it comes without restrictions (theres still 1 week restriction after start playing with it due to security reasons but that goes for everyone) then you didnt get ripped off. If you ever get the xpacs when 50% sale (hot and pof combo) then you would also have paid same total as someone getting these two without that promo. So you then arent ripped off to have paid more feeling wise.

The Heroic Edition also gives you a box of legacy armor that costs 600 gems when it's in the gem store. You also get an 18-slot Mithril box for carrying inventory and some heroic boosters. So even if you do buy the expansions later, you have some content those would not have given you. Whether it's worth $10 for the extras and a fully-enabled core account is up to you.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201862758-Game-Versions-and-Digital-Items

Archived