new remodels for the charr?

Agruesgirl.5726

@"TheGrimm.5624" said:Standing straight......mmmmm...They look some much better when they do. Love my Charr but it does make my back twig sympathetically from time to time.

Ditto. They walk way to humped for my taste, too. I love the "running on four feet" part of their movement, but even the uncivilized Flame Legion shamans in GW1 used to stand upright.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"TheGrimm.5624" said:Standing straight......mmmmm...They look some much better when they do. Love my Charr but it does make my back twig sympathetically from time to time.

Ditto. They walk way to humped for my taste, too. I love the "running on four feet" part of their movement, but even the uncivilized Flame Legion shamans in GW1 used to stand upright.

Doesn't help they teased us with the living story when we meet Anise in Divinity's Reach and we stood straight in the dialog. It was like, see we could do it, but, nah... lol

@TheGrimm.5624 said:Standing straight......mmmmm...They look some much better when they do. Love my Charr but it does make my back twig sympathetically from time to time.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Regh.8649 said:What's a bit off are the proportions, our paws can barely reach our noses…. and it look a bit wierd.Either shorten the neck or lengthen the arms

Noooo! The arms are already overly long! :o

Both of these are the result of them not being generic catgirls.

Humans can not comfortably or efficiently walk on all fours because our arms are too short, and our skull morphology would make it very uncomfortable to look ahead if we did. Charr would not have these problems because of the different spine shape and arms that are much closer to the length of their legs.

The problem is you can't have it both ways with a race that looks like this. If they are remodelled so they don't look ridiculous when standing upright in the classic GW1 Flame Legion pose, they'll look ridiculous when running on all fours (which was not implemented in GW1, so this would not have surfaced at the time).

@Ben K.6238 said:The problem is you can't have it both ways with a race that looks like this. If they are remodelled so they don't look ridiculous when standing upright in the classic GW1 Flame Legion pose, they'll look ridiculous when running on all fours (which was not implemented in GW1, so this would not have surfaced at the time).

I can't agree. The Charr have several emotes in GW2 where they stand upright, they also walk on their hind legs while wielding weapons. Their arms are much longer than their legs, yet neither of the aforementioned poses looks awkward. I am certain that straighten out their general posture a bit would not make it look weirder at all when they are switching into their running pose. It's not about straightening out their legs or making them stand upright like a human, just getting rid of that ridiculous looking hunch.

@Ben K.6238 said:

@TheGrimm.5624 said:Standing straight......mmmmm...They look some much better when they do. Love my Charr but it does make my back twig sympathetically from time to time.

@"Regh.8649" said:What's a bit off are the proportions, our paws can barely reach our noses…. and it look a bit wierd.Either shorten the neck or lengthen the arms

Noooo! The arms are already overly long! :o

Both of these are the result of them not being generic catgirls.

Humans can not comfortably or efficiently walk on all fours because our arms are too short, and our skull morphology would make it very uncomfortable to look ahead if we did. Charr would not have these problems because of the different spine shape and arms that are much closer to the length of their legs.

The problem is you can't have it both ways with a race that looks like this. If they are remodelled so they don't look ridiculous when standing upright in the classic GW1 Flame Legion pose, they'll look ridiculous when running on all fours (which was not implemented in GW1, so this would not have surfaced at the time).

Flame Legion used to practice Eugenics. They also developed upright fighting styles to intimate humans, since humans fear things taller then them (also works on Orges) The obsession with being everything humans fear got so ludicrously out of hand, it figures Charr raised closer to the home land (and didn't employ human targeted intimidation tactics) were not only better fighters, but also beat the Flame Legion in spite of their huge magical advantage. Pyre Fierceshot was like "f*** this noise", and arrowed the Shamans to death.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Ben K.6238" said:The problem is you can't have it both ways with a race that looks like this. If they are remodelled so they don't look ridiculous when standing upright in the classic GW1 Flame Legion pose, they'll look ridiculous when running on all fours (which was not implemented in GW1, so this would not have surfaced at the time).

I can't agree. The Charr have several emotes in GW2 where they stand upright, they also walk on their hind legs while wielding weapons. Their arms are much longer than their legs, yet neither of the aforementioned poses looks awkward. I am certain that straighten out their general posture a bit would not make it look weirder at all when they are switching into their running pose. It's not about straightening out their legs or making them stand upright like a human, just getting rid of that ridiculous looking hunch.

"Ridiculous" is clearly subjective, since it makes perfect sense that they'd have that posture. The only odd thing about it is the centre of mass appears to be too far forward.

I'm familiar with the emotes you speak of, but much like a dog standing on its hind legs, they don't seem like postures charr would use when moving. Arched neck and all that.

@"starlinvf.1358" said:Flame Legion used to practice Eugenics. They also developed upright fighting styles to intimate humans, since humans fear things taller then them (also works on Orges) The obsession with being everything humans fear got so ludicrously out of hand, it figures Charr raised closer to the home land (and didn't employ human targeted intimidation tactics) were not only better fighters, but also beat the Flame Legion in spite of their huge magical advantage. Pyre Fierceshot was like "f*** this noise", and arrowed the Shamans to death.

Speculation. I haven't seen any of this substantiated by credible sources.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

I cannot play charr at all: Their running induces motion sickness. I would love to have an option to make their movement more fluid and human-like...

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ol Nik.2518 said:I cannot play charr at all: Their running induces motion sickness.

How so, when the camera isn't shifting but remains at the same position at all times?

I guess it is not related to the camera, but to the character movements. I have the same reactions when people are 'zigzagging' on their raptors right in front of my character.

Archived