Any plans for native Controller Support?

My brother's been wanting to try out Guild Wars 2 for a while. However, as he's suffering from Carpal Tunnel, it can be painful for him to play a game like this that relies on repetitive inputs on Keyboard/Mouse. He's been able to enjoy playing FFXIV for extended sessions thanks to its controller support, but can't last more than half an hour playing GW2 before his pain flares up.

I know there are some community-made solutions to playing GW2 with a controller that work fairly well, but the issue with those is that dialogue and menu selection is impossible without a mouse (or virtual mouse). You'd need to put down the controller and use the keyboard and mouse any time you'd want to interact with something, or otherwise use a virtual mouse binding on the controller, which is honestly a pain. It's honestly the main reason he hasn't given the game an honest shot yet, when he can get a better experience with a game he already plays.

So I wanted to ask: Are there any plans for implementing native Controller Support in the future? (Or at the very least, a way to bind menu and dialogue options to controller inputs?)

I have been toying around with xpadder and tried to setup something I've liked, but takena break from the game so never really finished something. It's possible, definitively, though it likely will never get quite as good as the speed of the mouse.

There are probably others that can suggest good xpadder setups.

Native support is unlikely. Guild Wars 2 is a complex game, and using a gamepad is not ideal for it, not to mention it would require redesigning the UI for compatibility. Additionally, controller key-button mapping already exists in a stable, non-intrusive state. ANet Going out of their way to create it now would be redundant.

That's not to say it'll never happen, they very well could be working on controller support right now, but it's almost certainly a lower priority compared to, say, game balance, or new maps and events.

I play with an xbox elite controller and rewasd. For the same reason,, too much pain using keyboard.I play raids, fractals, pvp, jp's etc with it.

It works quite well. I used to use xbox 360 and xpadder, but I like the paddles on the elite, they're quite useful.

The only down side is button targetting is not as fast as mouse and joysticks do not yet emulate mouse speed.

I actually use the joy stick for navigating the menu quite often, tho its a lil slow.and if he has windows 10, he can use the xbox chatpad as well.

I could give my set up, but I strongly advise sitting with the programs and coming up with his own set up that feels best to him.

It took me a couple of hours to come up with a good set up for me(a bit of trial and error), and I've changed it slightly a couple times since...but this is best way to do it.

Its not too problem to keep a keyboard near and use it when needed.

@"Inferia.4261" said:Did anyone manage to get an Xpadder Configuration which is close to FFXIVs Controls?I tried several "Hold" Configurations but it seems like they switch randomly when you release the wrong trigger first.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

I personally never use "hold" im the configuration. I don't find that works well. I prefer setting buttoms to shift, ctrl, alt, and doing ctrl+button etc.I also use double or tripple tapping.

I can't help with amd F14 set up tho as I have never played the game.

@"Inferia.4261" said:well as i'm really new to xpadder, i would gladly take a template as "starting point".I guess everyone has own prefs on where an action should be.But to see "what is possible" it would really help.

This might help you.https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/zlk6s/xbox360_controller_mapping_for_guild_wars_2_enjoy/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

I've uninstalled xpadder so I can't give that.

I can tomorrow show the setup I use on Rewasd.

The controller you're using matters tho, as you may want to place skills in different place.

As a quick, I use left shoulder button as ctrl and right soulder button as shift.Then place your 5 weapon skills in easy to use buttons.You can then make ctrl+buttins, hold left shoulder button + your 5 skills for F1 skills.right shoulder + buttons for utilities.

This isn't what most people do however, but I find it works best for me.

left joy stick for movement, Forward, Back, strafe left and right.Right stick for mouse control

Absolute must that those two are on the joysticks, tho you can swap them.

Key things to map.dodge(pick the easiest button imo)jumpspecial action keyescaction cam toggle.targetting( paticularly toggle ground targetting and next target, if possible, previous target and call target)Interact key

Its late, not sure if I'm missing something.Depending on your setup and controller, you may also be able to map mounts.

I highly recommend a steam controller or an xbox one elite controller for more/easier configurations.

@Taygus.4571, I passed your messages along to my brother for him to look over. Thanks for the suggestions!

@"Trise.2865" said:Native support is unlikely. Guild Wars 2 is a complex game, and using a gamepad is not ideal for it, not to mention it would require redesigning the UI for compatibility. Additionally, controller key-button mapping already exists in a stable, non-intrusive state. ANet Going out of their way to create it now would be redundant.

That's not to say it'll never happen, they very well could be working on controller support right now, but it's almost certainly a lower priority compared to, say, game balance, or new maps and events.

I understand the UI bit, but I disagree with it being any more complex than many other games already on consoles. Even strictly just speaking about MMOs, FFXIV functions perfectly on controller with many, many more required inputs than GW2. I could easily see this game adapted to a controller layout, and many have done it successfully already (as far as the game allows, anyways). As for key-button mapping, the main issue we're concerned about is that key mapping for UI navigation (inventory, dialogue, etc) simply does not exist. A mouse (or virtual mouse) is absolutely required to navigate menus, which is annoying for someone using those "stable, non-intrusive" mapping options.

@Shadowstar.4306 said:@Taygus.4571, I passed your messages along to my brother for him to look over. Thanks for the suggestions!

@"Trise.2865" said:Native support is unlikely. Guild Wars 2 is a complex game, and using a gamepad is not ideal for it, not to mention it would require redesigning the UI for compatibility. Additionally, controller key-button mapping already exists in a stable, non-intrusive state. ANet Going out of their way to create it now would be redundant.

I understand the UI bit, but I disagree with it being any more complex than many other games already on consoles. Even strictly just speaking about MMOs, FFXIV functions perfectly on controller with many, many more required inputs than GW2. I could easily see this game adapted to a controller layout, and many have done it successfully already (as far as the game allows, anyways). As for key-button mapping, the main issue we're concerned about is that key mapping for UI navigation (inventory, dialogue, etc) simply does not exist. A mouse (or virtual mouse) is absolutely required to navigate menus, which is annoying for someone using those "stable, non-intrusive" mapping options.

(looks at video of modern FF14 combat)

I'm noticing the combat mostly revolves around spank and tank, which I'm guessing is how they got away that much animation flourish. Which is really bugging me, because the game looks like it should operate like a fighting game.

But to the point.... number of buttons usually isn't the problem (this game uses a very small amount overall), but more to do with how the game handles context and precision. Controllers absolutely suck for games which need to specific targets out of a group... and most console games have to get around this via auto targeting and having mobs spaced out or enforcing collision rules. Just adding support, but not putting in effort for proper QoL, makes the gesture detrimental just on the assumption that if its official, its supposed to work in some capacity. Kind of like how Action Cam happened, but is barely usable in its ideal fringe case.

The thing is that the game is conductive to controllers in some respects, but not in others. And this completely ignoring the menu problem, which isn't that hard to remedy since its already grid based to begin with. My main concern is the significance of dodge in faster combat (which controller would be good for) and how that effects target engagement, disengaging, constant movement, and the need for target switching; the game's asymmetric movement rates (which is going to be a problem with controller turn speed), and the sheer number of AOEs that lead to a lot of high speed repositioning and face rotation thats proven over the years to suck hard without a robust target lock or auto targeting system. FF14 looks like an action game, but doesn't play like one. GW2 is a high stakes, high speed hack and slash, but is actually kind of broken because the Mobs you fight operate on a substantially different design premise.

As much as I like the combat in GW2 for being more 3PV action Hack and Slash, I'm also keenly aware of how much the KBM control system is picking up the slack for the poor implementation of combat the Mob side of the equation. I've tried using a controller set up before (for research purposes to help a friend), and its really awkward and inefficient for the kind of speed and playstyle I operate in. Ground targeting, and the inherent limitations of trying to use snap-targeting, makes it difficult to use even when you pick targets correctly.... now try think about that using only tab for target selection. About Face is also weird to use, just because of the mental calibration for orientation, and subsequent delay in getting into the correct position you want to face. Free casting also gets weird, and thats something I use a lot with different movement skills (since a lot of boss fights aren't actually well tuned). The whole game sits in this weird space between Hack/ game design, fighting game ideas, and handles (inconsistently I might add) certain game concepts as if this were an FPS shooter. And its mostly in those latter points that the Controller's issues stand out to the point of disruption.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@Shadowstar.4306 said:@Taygus.4571, I passed your messages along to my brother for him to look over. Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm noticing the combat mostly revolves around spank and tank, which I'm guessing is how they got away that much animation flourish. Which is really bugging me, because the game looks like it should operate like a fighting game.

But to the point.... number of buttons usually isn't the problem (this game uses a very small amount overall), but more to do with how the game handles context and precision. Controllers absolutely suck for games which need to specific targets out of a group... and most console games have to get around this via auto targeting and having mobs spaced out or enforcing collision rules. Just adding support, but not putting in effort for proper QoL, makes the gesture detrimental just on the assumption that if its official, its supposed to work in some capacity. Kind of like how Action Cam happened, but is barely usable in its ideal fringe case.

The thing is that the game is conductive to controllers in some respects, but not in others. And this completely ignoring the menu problem, which isn't that hard to remedy since its already grid based to begin with. My main concern is the significance of dodge in faster combat (which controller would be good for) and how that effects target engagement, disengaging, constant movement, and the need for target switching; the game's asymmetric movement rates (which is going to be a problem with controller turn speed), and the sheer number of AOEs that lead to a lot of high speed repositioning and face rotation thats proven over the years to suck hard without a robust target lock or auto targeting system. FF14 looks like an action game, but doesn't play like one. GW2 is a high stakes, high speed hack and slash, but is actually kind of broken because the Mobs you fight operate on a substantially different design premise.

As much as I like the combat in GW2 for being more 3PV action Hack and Slash, I'm also keenly aware of how much the KBM control system is picking up the slack for the poor implementation of combat the Mob side of the equation. I've tried using a controller set up before (for research purposes to help a friend), and its really awkward and inefficient for the kind of speed and playstyle I operate in. Ground targeting, and the inherent limitations of trying to use snap-targeting, makes it difficult to use even when you pick targets correctly.... now try think about that using only tab for target selection. About Face is also weird to use, just because of the mental calibration for orientation, and subsequent delay in getting into the correct position you want to face. Free casting also gets weird, and thats something I use a lot with different movement skills (since a lot of boss fights aren't actually well tuned). The whole game sits in this weird space between Hack/ game design, fighting game ideas, and handles (inconsistently I might add) certain game concepts as if this were an FPS shooter. And its mostly in those latter points that the Controller's issues stand out to the point of disruption.

yeah..its not ideal, But its defintely playable and quite comfortable to use.

Especially when the alternative is "can't play because it hurts too damn bad".

i had to leave the game for almost 2 years because I could no longer use a keyboard. I returned when i heard about action cam.

Controller players mainly play in action cam mode...and I've never used about face, I can turn the camera more than fast enough(You have to really mess with emulated mouse speed).

I only have difficulty targetting mesmers and thiefs..mainly because they bounce around like crazy.

But then there's plenty of people who struggle with that using kb+m.

Telling them how bad the controller was for you, isn't helpful when a player has no alternative and wants to try the game.

@Taygus.4571 said:

yeah..its not ideal, But its defintely playable and quite comfortable to use.

Especially when the alternative is "can't play because it hurts too kitten bad".

i had to leave the game for almost 2 years because I could no longer use a keyboard. I returned when i heard about action cam.

Controller players mainly play in action cam mode...and I've never used about face, I can turn the camera more than fast enough(You have to really mess with emulated mouse speed).

I only have difficulty targetting mesmers and thiefs..mainly because they bounce around like crazy.

But then there's plenty of people who struggle with that using kb+m.

Telling them how bad the controller was for you, isn't helpful when a player has no alternative and wants to try the game.

The reason I point it out is because this isn't something that can afford being half-assed just to have. Given their track record with half-way implementations, and slow response to issues, it requires Anet's "full ass" to get anywhere worthwhile; since their UI team has among the lowest production bandwidth, and ties in extremely heavily with what/how the engine team can make forward facing for them.

UI and UX systems are incredibly touchy as is, and tiny shortfalls or design mistakes snowball rapidly in action oriented games. The implementation should be conductive to an overall improvement to the game; NOT a kluge or trade off.