Chilling Darkness ICD

Jakkun.4561

Nope. The ICD is such that it apply on successful instance of blind. If your first instance of blind is an aoe, the trait effect will be applied to all target blinded by this aoe effect and then enter ICD. If it's a single target, the trait effect will enter it's ICD after you've blinded this target.

It is ridiculous that chilling darkness even has an ICD at this point. The effect is NOT that strong with the abundance of (in many cases automatic) condi clears and movement abilities (leaps, teleports, etc.). On Well of Darkness/Chilling Darkness with no ICD, 5 targets would get at most 5 applications of chill each (12.5 seconds total), IF THEY STAND IN THE WELL THE ENTIRE TIME, which NOBODY WILL DO unless they are AFK.

Given that the average condi clear now clears out at least 3 condis, and resistance is a thing, I just don't see a problem.

@Nerah.8235 said:It is ridiculous that chilling darkness even has an ICD at this point. The effect is NOT that strong with the abundance of (in many cases automatic) condi clears and movement abilities (leaps, teleports, etc.). On Well of Darkness/Chilling Darkness with no ICD, 5 targets would get at most 5 applications of chill each (12.5 seconds total), IF THEY STAND IN THE WELL THE ENTIRE TIME, which NOBODY WILL DO unless they are AFK.

Given that the average condi clear now clears out at least 3 condis, and resistance is a thing, I just don't see a problem.

Well of Darkness: 5 blinds + 5 chills + 15 vulnerability + 5/10 bleeds @ 5 targets (all unblockable!)Nightfall: 4 blinds + 4 chills + 12 vulnerability + 4/8 bleeds @ 5 targets (the skill does also corrupt 1 to 4 boons on top of the inflicted conditions)

That's some nasty debuff and damage potential. The trait would be too strong for a minor trait without the ICD because there are big synergies with other traits.

Add more of the above due to fury to blind corruptions in the competitive modes.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@Nerah.8235 said:It is ridiculous that chilling darkness even has an ICD at this point. The effect is NOT that strong with the abundance of (in many cases automatic) condi clears and movement abilities (leaps, teleports, etc.). On Well of Darkness/Chilling Darkness with no ICD, 5 targets would get at most 5 applications of chill each (12.5 seconds total), IF THEY STAND IN THE WELL THE ENTIRE TIME, which NOBODY WILL DO unless they are AFK.

Given that the average condi clear now clears out at least 3 condis, and
resistance
is a thing, I just don't see a problem.

Well of Darkness: 5 blinds + 5 chills + 15 vulnerability + 5/10 bleeds @ 5 targets (all unblockable!)Nightfall: 4 blinds + 4 chills + 12 vulnerability + 4/8 bleeds @ 5 targets (the skill does also corrupt 1 to 4 boons on top of the inflicted conditions)

That's some nasty debuff and damage potential. The trait would be too strong for a minor trait without the ICD because there are big synergies with other traits.

Add more of the above due to fury to blind corruptions in the competitive modes.

Although the ICD is understandable in PvP modes, I don't think it's needed in PvE.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

Given that the average condi clear now clears out at least 3 condis, and
resistance
is a thing, I just don't see a problem.

Although the ICD is understandable in PvP modes, I don't think it's needed in PvE.It is if you think condi scourge or condi reaper need a dps buff, which anet seems to try to avoid at any cost.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@"Dadnir.5038" said:Although the ICD is understandable in PvP modes, I don't think it's needed in PvE.It is if you think condi scourge or condi reaper need a dps buff, which anet seems to try to avoid at any cost.

Only condi reaper gain some damage out of that though and condi reaper isn't really competitive in PvE since the "power reaper" shift. Like I said, the ICD is understandable in PvP/WvW but it isn't really needed in PvE where vuln is cheap as..., while chill and blind are almost irrelevant. In fact it could even somehow benefit "power reaper" instead by giving it a bit more build variety.

There are big synergies only if you take all of: bitter chill, chilling darkness, and deathly chill AND WoD or Greatsword (for GS 4). That is fixing all of your traitlines, using one utility, and mandating greatsword. All for some chill and 5 bleeds on 5 targets. The problem is that players will only get one pulse (maybe), and then leap/teleport/shadowstep/dodge. Monsters and anything with a break bar will ignore it and just move out of the area.

If I remember right, that ICD was put in place when the first "Deathly chill" reaper trait was put into the game ; back then, chill would IMMEDIATLY start dealing in the upwards of 700 damage without any condition damage investement. So their solution was to reduce the output of Chill…But now that Deathly Chill has been nerfed a lot, I think that this ICD could be removed...

@"killfil.3472" said:If I remember right, that ICD was put in place when the first "Deathly chill" reaper trait was put into the game ; back then, chill would IMMEDIATLY start dealing in the upwards of 700 damage without any condition damage investement. So their solution was to reduce the output of Chill…But now that Deathly Chill has been nerfed a lot, I think that this ICD could be removed...

I'm sure it was put in before that because of the interaction between it and bitter chill after the trait rework.