skill fact damage affected by armor, is weird for using 2597 as base armor value

I find it weird that skills that deal damage and are affected by armor, are based on the armor value of 2597.In my opinion it gives a deceptive view of the skill's damage, I see the skill is supposed to doExample: Eviscerate lvl3 deals 2519 on tool tip, only to see the skill do 7000ish damage and so on.

Only the hard research through the GW2 wiki made me understand that Eviscerate lvl3 has damage potential far higher, basing on my exotic berserker gear, capable of dealing 6541 damage on non-critical hit, without any modifiers that the skill fact cannot display.

Since then, I always wondered why ANet didn't just use 1000 as base armor value for tooltips, since in my opinion, its better to know how much damage you can potentially inflict on target before armor reduction, this way its easier to gauge and learn how tough the target is.

So far I've learned through the Wiki, not ingame, that 1000 armor is "unarmored" 100% damage, 2000 is 50% damage, 3000 is 33% damage and so on.

I see nothing that links to 2597, its not average of each armor class put together, just weird in my opinion, and rather deceptive if looking at the state of Core GW2 PvE, which really isn't made to give a little bit of challenge to player (along some broken mobs and objects that ignore crits and/or conditions, or just die too fast without doing anything, funny how that makes botting so easy at lvl 80 PvE).

It's actually not a weird number to use. Defense values don't give a % reduction like other games. It acts as a denominator. 2597 is just representative of a heavy armour target at level 80 who has a little more than base toughness.If the tooltip used 1000 instead, it'd be just as arbitrary.

See direct damage here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Damage#:~:text=Damage%20doneEdit,strength%20of%20the%20equipped%20weapon.

@"Tulki.1458" said:It's actually not a weird number to use. Defense values don't give a % reduction like other games. It acts as a denominator. 2597 is just representative of a heavy armour target at level 80 who has a little more than base toughness.If the tooltip used 1000 instead, it'd be just as arbitrary.

See direct damage here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Damage#:~:text=Damage%20doneEdit,strength%20of%20the%20equipped%20weapon.

Pretty much wrote the topic because of that wiki page.1000 armor = 100% damage, no reductions.2000 armor = 50% damage reduction3000 armor = 77% damage reduction

2597 armor is about 61.5% damage reduction.

I had to read the damage, power, armor and toughness wiki pages, then the attack skill's pages to know how much damage my character's skills do.

It’s probably something like the armour of the mob with the highest armour in pre-expac core PvE, so then you never did less dmg than your tooltip (in PvE ofc) barring protection.

Edit: most mobs have average armor in the 2000-2500 range, setting it to 1000 would make little sense cuz if you took no dmg% mods and not crit you’d end up doing less than half the dmg shown. Wouldn’t that be more confusing?

Edit2: most dmg% mods (plus crit dmg) don’t even appear on your tooltip anyway, you wouldn’t be able gauge max dmg from them in the first place.