What are some traits that need to be: Fixed/Changed/Removed?

Tseison.4659

There are quite a few traits I don't really care about. If I had to pick one - excluding 300s CD traits and stat converting ones - I'd probably go for Protected Phantasms. Sure, it does work. But its use is so limited and in the end just covers up design flaws of pet gameplay. Regarding Escape Artist: It could actually be quite fun if we had Prismatic Understanding on the Illusions GM tier. This way we could build for a sturdier stealther build without having to pick Chaos.

That being said, Mesmer really needs an overall rework/facelift to its traitlines like pre HoT patch. So many traits have been shuffeled around or nerfed/put on hold that many traitline compositions don't make sense anymore or simply underperform. Maybe we'll get one before EoD... I hope so. Otherwise, if I had to pick one single traitline, I'd probably say Inspiration. Solely due to the reason of it being overcrowded with Utility related traits. Partly reworking and moving those to other traitlines could give Inspiration a better purpose for supportive group play and at the same time open up new builds for other set ups.

If I had to pick an overall thing, I'd probably say elite class 'mechanics'. Chronomancer still isn't there but at least somewhat playable after IP got reinstated. However, Mirage is a sad nerfed mess and imho never saw proper gameplay design after leaving the concept board. Shatters have to be incorporated into its mechanic. And Mirage Cloak should never have happened. We already got Distortion. Unique effects make balancing slightly easier but negate any possible synergies with the baseline class. Which makes it just lazy design.

@Tseison.4659 said:

@Kondor.2904 said:Remove distortion part of blurred inscriptions from the game, ty.

Not a good enough reason and I think it's a great trait and used in a lot of Mirage builds to compensate for the loss in dodge bar in pvp/wvw.

It's an extremely passive trait that just allows you to spam invulns (and if traited reflects and ambushes) on top of enhancing every signet. And while mesmer right now might not seem to be that strong, the trait itself is just toxic and promotes very lazy and 0 iq playstyle. I'd rather see it changed so you actually have to apply more than 2 brain cells in order to make use of it. But that's just my opinion, yeah.

@Kondor.2904 said:

@Kondor.2904 said:Remove distortion part of blurred inscriptions from the game, ty.

Not a good enough reason and I think it's a great trait and used in a lot of Mirage builds to compensate for the loss in dodge bar in pvp/wvw.

It's an extremely passive trait that just allows you to spam invulns (and if traited reflects and ambushes) on top of enhancing every signet. And while mesmer right now might not seem to be that strong, the trait itself is just toxic and promotes very lazy and 0 iq playstyle. I'd rather see it changed so you actually have to apply more than 2 brain cells in order to make use of it. But that's just my opinion, yeah.

Mesmers AREN’t strong because of all the whiney players that had us get more nerfs than any other class out there just because “low IQ” players don’t know how to adapt or improve their own skills when encountering a Mesmer.

Additionally, the blurred inscriptions is just another defends mechanism so it’s NOT lazy at all and if it was, how about we take a look at other professions that have overloaded kits with better survivability than us.

And so far, you want the trait changed but not going in depth as to what to change it into to compensate....

Again, if you don’t like fighting against a Mesmer with Blurred Inscriptions then I suggest not entering WvW/PvP and picking a fight with one because we’re at that stage in this game where Mesmers SHOULD not be getting any passive nerfs just because ‘children’ need a handicap when fighting us...periodt

@Tseison.4659 said:

Mesmers AREN’t strong because of all the whiney players that had us get more nerfs than any other class out there just because “low IQ” players don’t know how to adapt or improve their own skills when encountering a Mesmer.

Additionally, the blurred inscriptions is just another defends mechanism so it’s NOT lazy at all and if it was, how about we take a look at other professions that have overloaded kits with better survivability than us.

And so far, you want the trait changed but not going in depth as to what to change it into to compensate....

Again, if you don’t like fighting against a Mesmer with Blurred Inscriptions then I suggest not entering WvW/PvP and picking a fight with one because we’re at that stage in this game where Mesmers SHOULD not be getting any passive nerfs just because ‘children’ need a handicap when fighting us...periodt

I main mesmer myself. The fact that other classes have "low iq" mechanics doesn't serve as a justification of having them in our own kit, in my opinion. I think it's much better to promote high risk - high reward playstyle. And this trait doesn't succeed at that. If you like it, it's all cool, i'm just sharing my point of view.

@Kondor.2904 said:

I main mesmer myself. The fact that other classes have "low iq" mechanics doesn't serve as a justification of having them in our own kit, in my opinion. I think it's much better to promote high risk - high reward playstyle. And this trait doesn't succeed at that. If you like it, it's all cool, i'm just sharing my point of view.

Are there unhealthy Mesmer traits? Yes, but to talk about them as if they exist in a vacuum is not helpful at this point in the game's life. Mesmer is already the weakest class in competitive game modes. To nerf it further now in the name of conceptual purity is silly. The time to nerf Blurred Inscriptions or Continuum Split is after the rest of Mesmer is fixed.

@Yoci.2481 said:

Are there unhealthy Mesmer traits? Yes, but to talk about them as if they exist in a vacuum is not helpful at this point in the game's life. Mesmer is already the weakest class in competitive game modes. To nerf it further now in the name of conceptual purity is silly. The time to nerf Blurred Inscriptions or Continuum Split is after the rest of Mesmer is fixed.

I didn't say I want mesmer nerfed, I said I want to see the trait rework and distortion part removed. If the trait is unhealthy, it should be changed no matter how broken or weak the class is. The same happened to perma reflect trait which was super toxic and avoided nerfs for far too long. I (and apparently devs too) also don't think mesmer is in such a bad spot right now that you will get "fixed", you can at maximum expect some sustain buffs, and that's it.

And what is this reasoning behind "yeah, this should be nerfed but not right now, cuz right now mes is kinda weak". We've seen this happen so many times when they actively ignore something unhealthy, trying to balance it out by nerfing other things, and then when they finally realize it's not working, they remove your dodge bar. It's not like this trait is a cornerstone of every mesmer build either, it's just lazy af.

@Kondor.2904 said:

I didn't say I want mesmer nerfed, I said I want to see the trait rework and distortion part removed. If the trait is unhealthy, it should be changed no matter how broken or weak the class is. The same happened to perma reflect trait which was super toxic and avoided nerfs for far too long. I (and apparently devs too) also don't think mesmer is in such a bad spot right now that you will get "fixed", you can at maximum expect some sustain buffs, and that's it.

And what is this reasoning behind "yeah, this should be nerfed but not right now, cuz right now mes is kinda weak". We've seen this happen so many times when they actively ignore something unhealthy, trying to balance it out by nerfing other things, and then when they finally realize it's not working, they remove your dodge bar. It's not like this trait is a cornerstone of every mesmer build either, it's just lazy af.

Your example strengthens my point. The Evasive Mirror nerf destroyed the trait. Maybe it was too strong, but now it's useless. Even when it was strong it was competing with Blinding Dissipation, and most people chose that instead. So now we have another dead trait. Passive ICDs are bad anyway and should be used as sparsely as possible.

@Yoci.2481 said:

Your example strengthens my point. The Evasive Mirror nerf destroyed the trait. Maybe it was too strong, but now it's useless. Even when it was strong it was competing with Blinding Dissipation, and most people chose that instead. So now we have another dead trait. Passive ICDs are bad anyway and should be used as sparsely as possible.

Evasive mirror was meta pick on condi mirage with IH. It used to be a sleeper trait mostly because people were still transitioning from the condi ineptitude build with EM and similar builds focused on shatter pressure. As soon as IH became meta, the trait got extremely unhealthy passive synergy with ambush spam builds. Almost everyone was playing it, except very few individuals among mostly power mesmers. Any condi mesmer not picking it automatically lost to the mes with it. Don't spread misleading information. Yes, the trait should have been reworked instead of plain nerfing, but it's better than having a trait that makes you auto win vs any ranged build that lacks unblockables.

Dead traits are unavoidable, unfortunately, and I think it's very unwise to keep unhealthy traits while holding idealistic expectations that everything will get fixed and you get perfectly balanced skills, as well as optimal traits in every traitline.