Why does sword 4 second cast have an energy cost

Flauvious.6195

I've been trying to make a sw/sw power rev build work for a bit now, and it's been a struggle. Sword 4 cost 20 energy, 10 for initial and 10 for the following strike, second cast should be free to fall in line with energy costs of other stronger weapons. With mace/axe condi build, mace 2 and 3 are 5 energy, axe 4 and 5 are both 10. Sword 2 and 3 are 5 and a whopping 15, and sword 4 and 5 are 20 and 15. This is crazy considering all the mace axe skills are ranged and easier to land. Hammer 2 and 3 are also 5, with 4 and 5 being 10 and 15. Coupled with the fact that assassin skills are the most costly, and you have no resistance, condi cleanse, or meaningful healing, I don't understand why sword skills have to be so expensive. Offhand sword is basically a pvp only weapon and it even sucks at that.

I feel like a good place to start would be removing the cost of the second cast on sword 4. It feels so clunky when you press it for an emergency block, and then you sit their blocking like a chump spamming your 4 key while nothing happens because you dont have 10 energy.

Also increasing the speed of the inital little hop on sword 3. You go from this fast moving whirl of blades to a slow motion little jump and spin in the air before initiating sword 3. So many times have I died mid hop. All you have are your evades and block to survive, which is fine, it makes for an exciting high risk reward gameplay, but the reward just doesn't seem to match the risk. I run a hammer as my second weapon, intended just to be there to deal with necros sitting on points and to still deal damage while my health is to low to go in melee. My success in games seems to be directly correlated to how much time I spend sitting back throwing hammers vs trying to put fools to the sword. Why would I burn a 35 energy engage, another 15 energy sword skill and a few autos before dying when I can just switch to glint, turn on furry, and hurl hammers from the saftey of 1200 range? Hell, If someone comes near me I can switch to assassin and actually use the 30 energy disengage because hammer skills costs nothing. By the time each skill ends you've already regened the energy spent on it lol.

They probably should have reduced UA's energy cost when they nerfed it's damage to keep it in line... I guess maybe they're balancing it around it's combined damage and i-frames or something. Same with Surge... When they nerfed it's damage by FIFTY PERCENT, they should have, I dunno, reduced it's energy cost by 50%, but that'd of made sense... :bleep_bloop:

I would have to disagree that the mace skills are easier to land than auto targeted sword skills tho... All you have to do is momentarily dip inside their hitbox and PS double hits 100% of the time, every time. Compare that to trying to hit somebody with mace 2 or 3 in a 1 on 1 fight on point, it's not even close.

@narcx.3570 said:They probably should have reduced UA's energy cost when they nerfed it's damage to keep it in line... I guess maybe they're balancing it around it's combined damage and i-frames or something. Same with Surge... When they nerfed it's damage by FIFTY PERCENT, they should have, I dunno, reduced it's energy cost by 50%, but that'd of made sense... :bleep_bloop:

I would have to disagree that the mace skills are easier to land than auto targeted sword skills tho... All you have to do is momentarily dip inside their hitbox and PS double hits 100% of the time, every time. Compare that to trying to hit somebody with mace 2 or 3 in a 1 on 1 fight on point, it's not even close.

On the topic of UA i find it kinda funny that they gave a class a direct upgrade to UA That is Instant Cast vs 3/4 sec cast(UA), drops Target(UA doesn’t), has a longer range 750 vs UA 450, and it’s CD is not that much higher (20 sec vs UA 12 Sec) while also not having an energy cost. It’s always fun to see Anet give another class a skill that already existed but have it be better in almost every way especially with it playing out more smoothly, I think UA could get some love and be updated to match and be smoothed out by either removing or reducing the cast time.

On topic of Sword 4 double cost, it makes no sense but this has never stopped them before, and it probably won’t be changed.

Archived