Worry about type of gear etc while leveling?

Newly returned player after an 8yr hiatus. Purchased the expansion bundle but decided against using the max level boost - atleast until I'm "very" familiar with whichever profession I want to boost.

I left my necro at level 41 due to life commitments...getting back into it, should I bother caring about my gear (aside from level) before hitting 80? From what I read here, hitting 80 is quick no matter what so ideally I'll focus on learning to play my profession properly/comfortably.

Thanks in advance for weighing in.

Edit: I probably should have posted this in Players helping Players. Sorry

No, you don't have to worry about it. Just chose an aggressive" variant, when you can pick one up (= preferer power, precision, condi damage or at least try to get a piece of equipment that has 2 out of the three in the basic game). It will be more important, that you don't lag too much behind in level of equipment, than by trying to have "perfect stats".

@"Gorani.7205" said:No, you don't have to worry about it. Just chose an aggressive" variant, when you can pick one up (= preferer power, precision, condi damage or at least try to get a piece of equipment that has 2 out of the three in the basic game). It will be more important, that you don't lag too much behind in level of equipment, than by trying to have "perfect stats".

Thanks a lot

No you don't need to worry about what you're using.

It's a good idea to check your inventory periodically for pieces which are stronger than what you're currently using, and if you're given a choice between pieces it's a good idea to choose one with at least one stat which is useful for you, but that's all. There's no need to go out of your way to get better equipment, drops and story/level rewards are good enough.