Feedback on the binding shot deadeye change in May 11th balance patch

flyingplanet.6912

I honestly think players will probably still complain on deadeye's binding shot after may 11th balance patch. 

The main issue with this skill is not with 3 sec knockdown in stealth because it has 3 sec delay (and  ~3 sec of stealth if players want to use it in stealth). If the deadeye is in stealth for more than 3 seconds and you are just standing there doing nothing then you deserve to lose that match. 

The problem lies with the additional effects that comes with the knockdown: (2 sec immob, 2 position, 15 vul, 2 boon removal).  As long as it is hit it gives the opponent in significant disadvantage whether the deadeye is in stealth or not. 

With this change, the deadeye will be even stronger when combined with "be quick or be killed" trait. (for example: cast binding shot --> steal --> then death's judgement).

So maybe it would be a nice idea to reduce the additional effects, maybe remove some, while increasing the skill's cooldown instead of making the deadeye revealed when used in stealth.

EDIT: minor spelling error

Edited by flyingplanet.6912
  • Confused 1

It's a telegraphed cooldown that you either have to evade or burn cooldowns to get out of. It's a strong combo CC effect but it's comparable to what other builds achieve with Ancient Seeds or Deadly Arts + Basi Venom.

4 hours ago, ASP.8093 said:

It's a strong combo CC effect but it's comparable to what other builds achieve with Ancient Seeds or Deadly Arts + Basi Venom.

I don't think some people are thinking the way you wrote. Teapot even said he wants the skill to be deleted because the skill is overpowered and deletes players.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, flyingplanet.6912 said:

I don't think some people are thinking the way you wrote. Teapot even said he wants the skill to be deleted because the skill is overpowered and deletes players.

The skill can potentially be overpowered if it's you and your Marked target. The Knockdown might be an Interrupt which can take Health but they might have slotted signets or whatever to boost stats for a duration and that can really compound an already strong Vulnerability stack and if you've just collected all of your Steal and other modifiers. Outside of that perfect storm though I don't think it's as near as strong as those people claim. It's unfortunate that it can be such a lopsided performance. 

Edited by kash.9213

The main issue with the skill is that you could hide the cast animation & tell with stealth, you shouldn't really be able to do that with any skill (looking at you magnet pull). I was doing that with a power P/D build, 10-12k sneak attack into a 7-9k shadow strike with quickness deleted a lot of people with slower reaction tines, and I'm not annoyed about having to reroll that build honestly. The skill remains strong enough to justify using, it's just harder to use as an opener now do you just have to bait stunbreaks and dodges first if you plan on using it to get the kill. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

I was doing that with a power P/D build, 10-12k sneak attack into a 7-9k shadow strike with quickness deleted a lot of people with slower reaction tines

You are right. Also power d/p backstab(or malicious backstab) combined with heartseeker does tons of damage in less than 1 sec, which I thought would be anet's focus for may 11th balance patch.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, flyingplanet.6912 said:

You are right. Also power d/p backstab(or malicious backstab) combined with heartseeker does tons of damage in less than 1 sec, which I thought would be anet's focus for may 11th balance patch.

It's less about the damage dealt and more about the chance to react to it IMO. Thief needs comparatively high damage to do what it does because it's a hit and run class, if you don't fear the spike there's basically as much threat from a thief as there would be from a daddy longlegs goobering around your living room. 

So while I'm not opposed to thief having high damage, what ought not happen is for a class to have enough damage to one shot from an engage with basically no tell. My build actually did give you warning, as the rotation was mark>binding shadow>pistol sneak attack>shadow strike>repeater spam. This meant that there was very little time between the knockdown and the kill, but there was about 1-1.5s between the mark and the knockdown, so aware players would counter the spike, unaware players would take a lot of damage. Being revealed by binding shadows leaves the damage potential intact while giving such a large tell to the enemy you'd have to be AFK to miss it, so you'd now have to work that combo around the opponent's dodges and stunbreaks instead of using it as an engage. That's a fair change IMO.

EDIT: For comparison, bear in mind that a DH can hit 12k with true shot vs a thief with no setup, and I've been hit for 18k by true shot when they had group support. It's not like thief is the only class that can hit these kinds of numbers. 

Edited by Jugglemonkey.8741
  • Like 2