New Player Gem Store Access

I just purchased a second account. I used my boost and bought gems to purchase new equipment. I was allowed to purchase the gems but when I tried to convert them to gold, I got a 'network error'. I submitted a ticket and was told, due to security reasons, new accounts can't trade gems for gold.   OK.  I get that. BUT, wouldn't it be better to post a message to new players saying you can't purchase gems for 4 days BEFORE they spend real money for in-game currency they can't use yet?  And, rather than a 'network error' message, wouldn't a 'you can exchange gems for gold in <x> days' message be more appropriate? If this was my first account, I would be very frustrated by the 'network error' message. I'd be asking myself 'what the heck did I buy here?'

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

It is actually in the info.

That's completely besides the point though. The post is about new players NOT being informed about restrictions before they have spent their money. No new player will have read the complete wiki before playing in order to know every solution to every possible issue he MIGHT run into when starting to play, so that info being in the wiki does not help.

Also, people may check the wiki when they are looking for info, but not when they are not even aware of needing info. The game did not say "Oh, something went wrong but we have no idea what. Please look for any info on this on your own". It said "NETWORK ERROR", making the player believe that there is a problem that is not on his end (as his internet connection is fine for everything else) and not that this is something normal that you would find info about in an external documentation. A function in the game temporarily not working is not usually something that will be told to you in a wiki.

If anywhere, such kind of info would rather be put into the forum "News and announcements" to inform players about it while they work on fixing it (like they do when they disable some feature because of a bug).

• Like 3

It's been a while since I converted my free account to a paid one but I'm pretty sure when I did the message did correctly say that you cannot convert gems to gold right away and showed how long was left to wait rather than just a generic error message, so that sounds like a problem with the user interface.

Hopefully Anet can fix it so it will go back to explaining what's wrong without players having to contact support.

(Incidentally the delay is to make sure the payment for your copy of the game goes through fully and they don't get a charge back or a report from the bank that it was paid with a stolen or fraudulent card. Apparently gold sellers would buy accounts with stolen cards, buy gems with the same card, convert them into gold and then pass it to other accounts to sell so by the time they were found out and the accounts banned it was virtually impossible for Anet to trace the gold and stop it being sold. This way you can't transfer anything off your account until it's been verified, which is unlikely to be a problem for legitimate players as it's just a few days but effectively stops gold sellers using them.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

It's been a while since I converted my free account to a paid one but I'm pretty sure when I did the message did correctly say that you cannot convert gems to gold right away and showed how long was left to wait rather than just a generic error message, so that sounds like a problem with the user interface.

Hopefully Anet can fix it so it will go back to explaining what's wrong without players having to contact support.

(Incidentally the delay is to make sure the payment for your copy of the game goes through fully and they don't get a charge back or a report from the bank that it was paid with a stolen or fraudulent card. Apparently gold sellers would buy accounts with stolen cards, buy gems with the same card, convert them into gold and then pass it to other accounts to sell so by the time they were found out and the accounts banned it was virtually impossible for Anet to trace the gold and stop it being sold. This way you can't transfer anything off your account until it's been verified, which is unlikely to be a problem for legitimate players as it's just a few days but effectively stops gold sellers using them.)

I recall it did state how long until you had access when I bought the game as well.  Contact customer support. 

7 hours ago, Shikigami.4013 said:

That's completely besides the point though. The post is about new players NOT being informed about restrictions before they have spent their money. No new player will have read the complete wiki before playing in order to know every solution to every possible issue he MIGHT run into when starting to play, so that info being in the wiki does not help.

Also, people may check the wiki when they are looking for info, but not when they are not even aware of needing info. The game did not say "Oh, something went wrong but we have no idea what. Please look for any info on this on your own". It said "NETWORK ERROR", making the player believe that there is a problem that is not on his end (as his internet connection is fine for everything else) and not that this is something normal that you would find info about in an external documentation. A function in the game temporarily not working is not usually something that will be told to you in a wiki.

If anywhere, such kind of info would rather be put into the forum "News and announcements" to inform players about it while they work on fixing it (like they do when they disable some feature because of a bug).

A new player doesn't, but I found that clear when I purchased the game that I would not have instant access to all the features, so it is stated if one chooses to read what they are agreeing to upon purchase.  Also if this is a second account, surely you knew?  It sounds more like a technical problem.

On 6/2/2021 at 3:34 PM, Farohna.6247 said:

A new player doesn't, but I found that clear when I purchased the game that I would not have instant access to all the features, so it is stated if one chooses to read what they are agreeing to upon purchase.  Also if this is a second account, surely you knew?  It sounds more like a technical problem.

What are you talking about? The post IS about new players, not about you. I don't see your point. Also why do you say "surely you knew?" For once, I am not the original poster. And also, why would having bought an account previously mean that you have to know about this, not everyone buying an account goes and buys gems and tries to convert them to gold right away, so that statement doesn't make much sense.

2 hours ago, Shikigami.4013 said:

What are you talking about? The post IS about new players, not about you. I don't see your point. Also why do you say "surely you knew?" For once, I am not the original poster. And also, why would having bought an account previously mean that you have to know about this, not everyone buying an account goes and buys gems and tries to convert them to gold right away, so that statement doesn't make much sense.

The first sentence of OP's post....they bought a second account?  So it's about new players, buuuttttt it's not

• Like 1