Game freezes every few minutes

hi can you help me figure out how to fix this problem? i didnt have this problem yesterday. my pc specs is the bare minimum required for gw2 to run. and mind you it runs smoothly except the usual 20 fps when in a zerg.

so the problem is that my game freezes every few minutes whenever i play gw2. only gw2 has this problem. other programs it can run just fine. some of the problems i have include
- the map going black, i can see the WPs, POIs, hearts, everything except the entire map is black
- the tooltips of some buffs are missing. it just shows duration
- the items i gather/loot when they 1st appear at the right side of the screen have missing text and icon
- when i press esc the texts are missing when the menu comes up.

it freezes for like a minute and it gets triggered but not always by large mobs, weapon swapping, accessing the trading post. there are more random things that trigger but these are the ones i can remember to be consistently causing it. also whats funny is that when the freezing episode is over i see my toon running at x100 speed as if the game is showing me what happened while it froze except when riding a griffon. i freeze midair and when game unfreezes im right where the griffon was midair like nothing happened.

solutions ive tried but failed include repairing client, uninstalling and redownloading the game, and an exorcism. nothing worked. halp.

all those things point to insufficient RAM

the freeze is not really a freeze but simply the game slowing to a halt because it has to access data from hard drive(due to swap/pagefile) instead of accessing from RAM

I can(and have) created a very similar experience if I have some other app gobbling up memory on my system. Usually that will start at around 80%-90% for me with 16GB. If you are at the bare minimum of 4GB then this is going to be an expected experience especially since the memory usage seems to have increased since several patches ago. 4GB might be okay if you have absolutely nothing else running besides GW2.

• Like 1

If your resources run low, you can try a game-booster. Those programs work best for systems which run around the minimum requirements or engines not designed for gaming at all. While the booster is active, it removes every unnecessary resource from your operating system and background-programs, so they can be used for gaming. The game-booster causes no harm to your hardware and the changes are quickly reversible.

Freeware:

Razer Cortex

Wise Game Booster

There is no 100 % guarantee it will work for you. Every computer is different. But so far, I had no complaints. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Many thanks @HnRkLnXqZ.1870.  I had a similar problem to the OP and I thought I had tried everything I could - not yet an exorcism but heading that way.   Thankfully I stumbled upon this thread so I downloaded Razor Cortex and, Hallelujah, I think it worked.  No freezes in my last playing session.  My laptop has 16 gb of RAM and as far as I know there is nothing running in the background but it is old.  I think I bought it in 2014 so it is probably running out of puff. 

Anyway, thanks so much.  That was really helpful advice and I can finally stop stressing over trying to fix the problem.

Edit:  And I just noticed this thread is a year old.  Duh.  I didn't notice that.  Still, the problem was the same and the solution was useful so thanks should be given.

Edited by Figlilly.3907
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Figlilly.3907 said:

Many thanks @HnRkLnXqZ.1870.  I had a similar problem to the OP and I thought I had tried everything I could - not yet an exorcism but heading that way.   Thankfully I stumbled upon this thread so I downloaded Razor Cortex and, Hallelujah, I think it worked.  No freezes in my last playing session.  My laptop has 16 gb of RAM and as far as I know there is nothing running in the background but it is old.  I think I bought it in 2014 so it is probably running out of puff. 

Anyway, thanks so much.  That was really helpful advice and I can finally stop stressing over trying to fix the problem.

Edit:  And I just noticed this thread is a year old.  Duh.  I didn't notice that.  Still, the problem was the same and the solution was useful so thanks should be given.

And this is why all the people editing their opening post with fixed please remove should be disallowed in my oppinion.

Glad this old thread helped you mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1