Thank You for Gen 3 Legendaries

28 minutes ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

Yeah actually, I have been, since the beginning of the thread.  And a bunch of people agreed with me, either via comments or reactions.  Where do you think FRPG games get their concept of legendary weapons?  FROM LEGENDS WITH LEGENDARY WEAPONS.  I gave 3 examples in this thread.  It's precisely that lack of "legendary-ness" (conformity to the concept of legendary) that I've been talking about since the first post.

It doesn't matter what you think "legendary" means wherever else, it matters what "legendary gear" is in this game, what do you fail to understand about that?

What exactly is "exotic" about your average exotic gear in gw2? What's "rare" about all the """rare""" items you throw out or destroy? Nothing. It's because it's an item category in the game and that's how it's supposed to be taken and understood.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

It doesn't matter what you think "legendary" means wherever else, it matters what "legendary gear" is in this game, what do you fail to understand about that?

Right, and up until now, *in this game* it always included exactly those ideas I described.  And with gen 3 it doesn't anymore.  What do you fail to understand about that?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

Right, and up until now, *in this game* it always included exactly those ideas I described.  And with gen 3 it doesn't anymore.  What do you fail to understand about that?

No, it was always what I said on the previous page, but then it didn't fit your concept so you pretended that's not the way to understand it, because it can mean something else somewhere else 🙃  

Bottom line remains exactly the same like in that post:

If you don't like it, get over yourself and make another one. Easy.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

No, it was always what I said on the previous page and then you pretended that's not the way to understand it, because it can mean something else somewhere else 🙃 

Wait, you're saying that gen 1 & 2 weapons don't all have unique designs, animations, and lore?  Cuz... yes they do.  That was an integral part of legendary weapons in this game, until now.  It's simply fact.  I didn't "pretend" anything, because it's also a fact that all of these games get the concept of "legendary" from the meaning of the word "legendary" and the common use in actual legends of weapons that were in those legends, like Excalibur, Mjiolnir, Aegis, The Sword of Damacles, etc.  Oh, and... Caladbolg.  Yeah... that's not just a GW2 weapon, it's from Irish mythology.  So, you really don't think that GW2's legendary weapons come from that concept?  Then I suppose you also think the world is flat, and we can not continue to have this conversation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Bottom line remains exactly the same like in that post:

If you don't like it, get over yourself and make another one. Easy.

The forums are where we get to tell Anet what we like and don't like about what they've done.  There's not really any other way to do that, and that is my goal here.  If you don't like it, get over yourself, and go read some other thread.

Edited by Bladezephyr.5714
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

Wait, you're saying that gen 1 & 2 weapons don't all have unique designs, animations, and lore?  Cuz... yes they do.  That was an integral part of legendary weapons in this game, until now.  It's simply fact.  I didn't "pretend" anything, because it's also a fact that all of these games get the concept of "legendary" from the meaning of the word "legendary" and the common use in actual legends of weapons that were in those legends, like Excalibur, Mjiolnir, Aegis, The Sword of Damacles, etc.  Oh, and... Caladbolg.  Yeah... that's not just a GW2 weapon, it's from Irish mythology.  So, you really don't think that GW2's legendary weapons come from that concept?

They aren't. They are merely inspired by them, they didn't outright take those things and made an in-game equivalent. 

That's the thing about weapon design and general world building, you don't have to follow the basics, you can make it what you will. Whether others like it or not, that's the opinion of others, but if someone who's making the game says something is of "Legendary" status, no matter how much certain people deny it, it's factual that those items are, and will always be, Legendary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

Wait, you're saying that gen 1 & 2 weapons don't all have unique designs, animations, and lore?  Cuz... yes they do.

Hey , you seem to be confused about what you're reading. Re-read my posts and stop pretending I said something I didn't, thanks.

7 minutes ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

The forums are where we get to tell Anet what we like and don't like about what they've done.  There's not really any other way to do that, and that is my goal here.  If you don't like it, get over yourself, and go read some other thread.

Nothing you say or do will change anything about the existance of this set of legendary weapons. And they'll still be as legendary as any other, even if you don't like how they look or w/e. No worries, I did get over myself, just corrected that nonsense you wrote on the previous page, where gen 3 somehow isn't legendary because you don't like it. 🙃 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

So, you really don't think that GW2's legendary weapons come from that concept?

They aren't. They are merely inspired by them, they didn't outright take those things and made an in-game equivalent. 

That is literally exactly equivalent to what I said.  "came from that concept..." "derived from.." "inspired by..."  All mean exactly the same thing.  The point is, for a significant portion of the player base, if your concept of legendary doesn't include all that, then it isn't legendary, and that will leave those players (i.e. customers) unhappy.  You are not required to agree.  But you don't get to dismiss the opinion of everyone else who does.  And there have been a bunch of posts about this on the forums, and a lot of the GW2 streamers have brought it up, and their posts have had a barrage of similar comments.  So it's clearly not just one or two people.  Don't want to hear about it?  Feel free to tune out this thread.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This POV is just wrong ... Anet defines what a legendary weapon are, not players. I have no doubt all the Aurene-themed legendaries have the parameters that define what Anet intends legendary weapons to have. Clearly, Anet has (and it's their prerogative to do so), removed the 'unique skin per weapon' parameter. If your hangup is the word 'legendary' ... well, time to get over your peculiarities because we have 9 years of game history that says that hangup is irrelevant. 

Now, there is ONE parameter that Anet can't guarantee will be consistent over all leg. weapons ... that every player likes the theme. That's not a problem. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

That is literally exactly equivalent to what I said.  "came from that concept..." "derived from.." "inspired by..."  All mean exactly the same thing.  The point is, for a significant portion of the player base, if your concept of legendary doesn't include all that, then it isn't legendary, and that will leave those players (i.e. customers) unhappy.  You are not required to agree.  But you don't get to dismiss the opinion of everyone else who does.  And there have been a bunch of posts about this on the forums, and a lot of the GW2 streamers have brought it up, and their posts have had a barrage of similar comments.  So it's clearly not just one or two people.  Don't want to hear about it?  Feel free to tune out this thread.

I've yet to see any genuine Guild Wars 2 content creators that are going full throttle over how these Legendary weapons "Aren't legendary at all because it's doesn't follow a specific trope". At most, that significant portion of player's you're on about are the loud minority on this forum and probably reddit. Unless you can provide me with good amount of streamers/content creators who are literally complaining that Aurene's weapons can't be Legendary because of what you said, then you're just spewing absolute bs at this point. 

As I said on my previous post plenty of times, I can respect people not liking designs, but throwing in opinions as if they were facts is just absolutely stupid at this point. All you've done now is just demolish what respect I had for your view because it's plain and obvious: You just hate these designs and will do anything you can to shove your opinion that these aren't Legendary... Despite the fact that they are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Obtena.7952 said:

This POV is just wrong ... Anet defines what a legendary weapon are, not players. There are parameters players expect Legendary weapons to have ... because they all have them. I have no doubt all the Aurene themed legendaries have those parameters. 

No, actually, words have meanings, and if Anet is using that word in a way that's not consistent with that meaning, then they're using that word wrong. 😉

But you guys are missing the point:  It's not really about semantics at all.  It's about the fact that gen3 weapons essentially redefined what Anet's own concept of legendary weapons is.  Before, their legendary weapons all had unique designs, animations, and lore.  In gen 3, they don't.  I don't care what you call them.  They redefined that class of weapons in a way that is clearly different, and in my opinion (and plenty of others) inferior to the old one.  It's really that simple.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

No, actually, words have meanings, and if Anet is using that word in a way that's not consistent with that meaning, then they're using that word wrong. 😉

That's not a problem ... Anet can label whatever they want however they want in their game. Sure, Anet removed 'unique skin' from their legendary weapon development guidelines ... also not a problem. Maybe a problem for you ... well, the game doesn't cater to individual players. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

That's not a problem ... Anet can label whatever they want however they want in their game. 

Yeah that was a joke (though, completely true).  It's the other part that actually matters, and has always been the point of this thread.  All of the rest of what I've posted here was just a misguided attempt at explaining where players' expectations about that idea comes from, to the uncomprehending.

Edited by Bladezephyr.5714
  • Confused 1

Yeah that was a joke (though, completely true).  It's the other part that actually matters, and has always been the point of this thread.

Right ... the opinion that you dislike the redefinition of Leg. Weapons. Yeah, we got that. That's not a problem that some people dislike something in the game. There are LOTS of things I don't like in the game and the same is true for likely most players. That's not a compelling reason for Anet to do anything about it ... the game doesn't cater to individual players.

If anything the discussion here should pivot around how this change benefits the game and it's players, not anyone's opinion if they like it or not. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

But you guys are missing the point:  It's not really about semantics at all.  It's about the fact that gen3 weapons essentially redefined what Anet's own concept of legendary weapons is.  Before, their legendary weapons all had unique designs, animations, and lore.  In gen 3, they don't.  I don't care what you call them.  They redefined that class of weapons in a way that is clearly different, and in my opinion (and plenty of others) inferior to the old one.  It's really that simple.

It's almost as if I literally mentioned something about not always following the basics...

34 minutes ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

That's the thing about weapon design and general world building, you don't have to follow the basics, you can make it what you will. Whether others like it or not, that's the opinion of others, but if someone who's making the game says something is of "Legendary" status, no matter how much certain people deny it, it's factual that those items are, and will always be, Legendary.

And again, if you think it's inferior, that is not a fact, that's an opinion.

• Haha 1

Right ... the opinion that you dislike the redefinition of Leg. Weapons. Yeah, we got that. That's not a problem that some people dislike something in the game. There are LOTS of things I don't like in the game and the same is true for likely most players.

And you should post on the forums about those.  You're right that Anet doesn't cater to one player.  But they do care what a lot of players think, and a lot of players don't like this.  The only way Anet is going to hear about it is if people post about it, and that is exactly what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.  This thread is not for you.  Feel free to stop reading it at any time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

And you should post on the forums about those.  You're right that Anet doesn't cater to one player.  But they do care what a lot of players think, and a lot of players don't like this.  The only way Anet is going to hear about it is if people post about it, and that is exactly what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.

You don't know how many players don't like this or do like this; some do some don't. That's not a reason for Anet to change it; there are lots of things ingame that LOTS of people don't like. I mean, look at builds and how that's implemented. People HATE it ... but alas, there it is ... so think about the value of 'opinions' when it comes to Anet's development of the game. 

Sure have an opinion, but don't think that opinion has much value given the potential benefits this change has to players and Anet. If you actually want your opinion to matter, better start thinking about how the change is bad for the game and make a case doing that. That's going to be a pretty hard thing to do, considering that obviously Anet has reasons to make this change (plus that players can see these potential benefits as well.)

I can already think of two benefits ... better access to legendary weapon designs players might like on classes they want to play. The knockon effect ... people have more long term goals for crafting said leg. weapons. That's good for Anet. Also, if Anet is getting better use of the assets they create to engage players in the game. We didn't these two things with gen 1 and 2. 

So yeah, you don't like it ... some other people don't either. That doesn't matter because from an objective POV, this is a good change for the game and its players. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Haha 1

Just now, Obtena.7952 said:

Sure have an opinion, but don't think that opinion has much value given the potential benefits this change has to players and Anet. 

I can say exactly the same thing to you about your opinion and it's just as true.  They both have as much value as any other customers' opinions.  It's up to Anet--not you--to decide what that is, and I will continue to voice my opinion in the forums so that Anet can be aware of it, and do as they please, with the understanding that if their decisions displease me enough, I will eventually decide to take my dollars and game play hours elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

Yes, it is!  It's my opinion, which is what I'm sharing here.  As I've said repeatedly.  Since literally the first post.

Yes, and people respected that, but then to state that these weapons are factually not Legendary because ANet broke their own trope by trying something different is what made this thread go like this. And saying that a significant number of people agree with said statement without actually backing it up wasn't a better move to support it. 

As I said before, it is a fact: Aurene Generation 3 Weapons are Legendary Weapons, no amount of opinion is going to change that.

It's fine to dislike it, it's fine to think for yourself that they aren't really worthy of the title Legendary, but end of the day, who defines a Legendary weapon isn't going to be the playerbase, it's the developers of the game.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I can say exactly the same thing to you about your opinion and it's just as true. 

OK ... that's true except I'm not arguing this is a good change 'because I like it'. I'm saying there are significant benefits to the game and its players because of increased engagement with leg weapons and development cycles with this re-definition. That's NOT an opinion. It's fact. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

OK ... that's true. But I'm not arguing this is a good change 'because I like it'. I'm saying there are significant benefits to the game and its players because of potential crafting opportunities and development cycles with this redefinition. That's NOT an opinion. It's fact. 

There definitely are benefits to Anet; it's clearly cheaper and easier for them to do this.  And that's the criticism that a lot of people are leveling at them--it's a cop-out.  As for the players, I already argued against that point in my very first post, so yes actually it does come down to opinion.

There definitely are benefits to Anet; it's clearly cheaper and easier for them to do this.  And that's the criticism that a lot of people are leveling at them--it's a cop-out.  As for the players, I already argued against that point in my very first post, so yes actually it does come down to opinion.

It's not opinion that statistically, more people will be attracted to getting legendary weapons with this change due to the total weapon coverage of the themes and likely release of more themes. That's not debatable. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Haha 1

Just now, Obtena.7952 said:

It's not opinion that statistically, more people will be attracted to getting legendary weapons with this change due to the total weapon coverage and likely release of more themes. That's not debatable. It's not an opinion. 

No it totally is debatable, because it comes down to whether or not they like the ONE aesthetic that this set provides.  Anet has not confirmed there ever will be additional legendary weapons, and the notion that they will comes entirely from an ambiguous blurb in a marketing post.

• Like 1