Game downloading stuck at 93%

This is most commonly caused by the patch server hosting corrupted files, causing GW2 to infinitely download them as it never gets what it expects. To fix this, you have to edit the hosts file to manually select a patch server:

For future readers:

https://imgur.com/a/8HA67lK

Search the start menu for:

cmd

This should find the command prompt. Right click it and select run as administrator. This should open the "administrator" command prompt, as noted in its title.

Copy the following line and right click the command prompt window to paste it, then press enter to run it:

nslookup origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com 8.8.8.8

The command should return an "answer" for origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com, listing one or more IP addresses for it. The IP address should be in a 0.0.0.0 format. You can copy one of these addresses by clicking and dragging to highlight, then right clicking to copy.

Copy the following and right click the command prompt window to paste it, then press enter to run it:

notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

This should open notepad with the hosts file automatically opened. If it fails to open the file and asks to create a new one, cancel and close notepad. Enter the following commands to create the hosts file and open notepad again:

echo.> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

With the file opened in notepad, add an empty line to the bottom of the file and enter the following line, substituting 0.0.0.0 with the IP address obtained previously:

0.0.0.0 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

Save it, but don't close notepad yet. Note the hosts file requires administrator privileges to modify, so if notepad wasn't started through the administrator command prompt, it won't be able to save it.

Launch GW2. If it was already running, it needs to be restarted. With the hosts file successfully modified, GW2 will now be forced to use the primary US patch server, so expect it to be slower depending on where you are.

When you're done, remove the line from the hosts file. Leaving it will eventually cause GW2 to fail to connect at all, since the IP will change.

For almost everyone, this is the only solution needed for this problem, as it's specifically a problem with your default patch server hosting incomplete copies of the files. For the few who still have a problem, it's caused by other software interfering with GW2's traffic, such as blocking specific URLs or injecting ads.

If they every fix the -assetsrv option (was disabled in March 2020), the simple solution is launching GW2 with:

-assetsrv origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com

Original:

Press WindowsKey+R, paste the following, then press CTRL+SHIFT+Enter to run it as an admin:

Add the following line, then save and launch GW2:

3.92.131.16 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

Remove it when you're done. Ideally, you only want to use this while you're stuck, as it will likely be slower depending on your location (this is the primary US patch server).

For future reference, the IP changes roughly every patch; to find the current one, open cmd.exe and enter:

Edited by Healix.5819
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, ruikarikun.9402 said:

Do I need to do this before install game or when it will stuck at 93%? I deleted it again.

When stuck. It doesn't actually matter when you do it, it just forces GW2 to use the primary US patch server, which may be a lot slower depending on how far away you are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ruikarikun.9402 said:

Sorry again. Look it stuck at 93% I do your commands, save file. Then shut down the launcher? But I think then it will start to download from 0%?

The progress displayed is based on files remaining, so it'll always start from 0%. Yes, you have to close GW2 when you change the hosts file.

• Like 1

• ArenaNet Staff

We're looking into what's causing this issue--I'm sorry some of you are still running into this. 

We're gathering data and could use your help. Anyone who can do the following steps, you'd be a big help! 

1. Use the command line argument "-log" to generate a verbose log when the launcher is attempting to download (details here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments )

2. Find the log file on your local system (For Windows, generally the path looks like: C:\Users\<your user name>\Appdata\Roaming\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.log)

3. Submit a support ticket, including the log file.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Rubi Bayer.8493

The problem is the patch servers can host incomplete files. If a specific file is 10 MB for example, the server may only have the first 5 MB of it. When GW2 goes to download this file, its length doesn't match what it expected so it tries again and again (sample from 2020).

Also, the -assetsrv option has been disabled since March 2020, so now people have to edit their hosts file instead.

• Like 1

I have tried several times and failed to resolve. If I try to reinstall in a few days the problem will be solved, right? if this thing i see from google that has always happened, at some point i suppose it will resolve itself. I don't want to waste any more time and I don't think it's right that it should be a problem that players have to find a solution to.

59 minutes ago, Dagaz.5721 said:

If I try to reinstall in a few days the problem will be solved, right?

If your problem is caused by the server, in which case following the above will fix it (if you can access this), yes, it'll eventually fix itself. Worst case, it'll take 30 days for the server's cache to expire.

14 hours ago, Dagaz.5721 said:

I have tried several times and failed to resolve. If I try to reinstall in a few days the problem will be solved, right? if this thing i see from google that has always happened, at some point i suppose it will resolve itself. I don't want to waste any more time and I don't think it's right that it should be a problem that players have to find a solution to.

I do agree that should be fixed by ANET , looking that's an important issue . We have really to thanks players like @Healix.5819 that 's so kind to answer.

On 8/13/2021 at 6:28 PM, Healix.5819 said:

This is most commonly caused by the patch server hosting corrupted files, causing GW2 to infinitely download them as it never gets what it expects. To fix this, you have to edit the hosts file to manually select a patch server:

For future readers:

https://imgur.com/a/8HA67lK

Search the start menu for:

cmd

This should find the command prompt. Right click it and select run as administrator. This should open the "administrator" command prompt, as noted in its title.

Copy the following line and right click the command prompt window to paste it, then press enter to run it:

The command should return an "answer" for origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com, listing one or more IP addresses for it. The IP address should be in a 0.0.0.0 format. You can copy one of these addresses by clicking and dragging to highlight, then right clicking to copy.

Copy the following and right click the command prompt window to paste it, then press enter to run it:

This should open notepad with the hosts file automatically opened. If it fails to open the file and asks to create a new one, cancel and close notepad. Enter the following commands to create the hosts file and open notepad again:

echo.> %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

With the file opened in notepad, add an empty line to the bottom of the file and enter the following line, substituting 0.0.0.0 with the IP address obtained previously:

0.0.0.0 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

Save it, but don't close notepad yet. Note the hosts file requires administrator privileges to modify, so if notepad wasn't started through the administrator command prompt, it won't be able to save it.

Launch GW2. If it was already running, it needs to be restarted. With the hosts file successfully modified, GW2 will now be forced to use the primary US patch server, so expect it to be slower depending on where you are.

When you're done, remove the line from the hosts file. Leaving it will eventually cause GW2 to fail to connect at all, since the IP will change.

For almost everyone, this is the only solution needed for this problem, as it's specifically a problem with your default patch server hosting incomplete copies of the files. For the few who still have a problem, it's caused by other software interfering with GW2's traffic, such as blocking specific URLs or injecting ads.

If they every fix the -assetsrv option (was disabled in March 2020), the simple solution is launching GW2 with:

-assetsrv origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com

Original:

Press WindowsKey+R, paste the following, then press CTRL+SHIFT+Enter to run it as an admin:

Add the following line, then save and launch GW2:

3.92.131.16 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

Remove it when you're done. Ideally, you only want to use this while you're stuck, as it will likely be slower depending on your location (this is the primary US patch server).

For future reference, the IP changes roughly every patch; to find the current one, open cmd.exe and enter:

This was driving me kittening insane!

Firm handshakes and all around applause to you sir, this worked like a charm