Couple (duo) looking for help on getting started again

Hi All,

This could be a post that has been said a 1000 times, but let me just ask and see what people think.

With a certain MMORPGs expansion being a few months away, my wife and I have decided that we will give GW2 another shot, we both played on release and another stint a little while ago. The main reason we stopped was instanced PVE was missing and gear progression. We both discussed how we enjoyed doing zone clears and just general exploring.

So here is my question or two:Is there an instanced based progression now? like the normal tier loot experience or something similar?Will the story be easy to pick up and play through after so many living world changes?Finally, as we are Primarily PVE players, what classes/advanced classed do people suggest to world PvE as duo's moving into instanced based raids? (she likes ranged classes, sometimes heals, but an easier rDPS would be good. I primarily play support as in debuffer/buffer or tank)

**Side note, we are on EU and open to joining social guilds and haven't set a homeworld yet

Raids and fractals are a thing, but gear progression is not.

There is plenty of story content, but you'll have to purchase the episodes with gems/cash if you didn't log in while they were live to download them for free.

Class choice is a tough call for open world because anything can work. But guardian would be a good choice for support. Maybe ranger for ranged dps?

Is there an instanced based progression now? like the normal tier loot experience or something similar?

There is still no gear progression and probably never will be. GW2 is just not a good choice if that is what you want.

Will the story be easy to pick up and play through after so many living world changes?

Since you probably haven't been logging in for the unlocks the bigger issue might be having to pay for the unlocks(could be done with gold).

Finally, as we are Primarily PVE players, what classes/advanced classed do people suggest to world PvE as duo's moving into instanced based raids? (she likes ranged classes, sometimes heals, but an easier rDPS would be good. I primarily play support as in debuffer/buffer or tank)

That is always subject to change with balance changes but right now you could go for some combination of firebrand(guardian), renegade(revenant) and druid(ranger).

@AliamRationem.5172 said:Class choice is a tough call for open world because anything can work. But guardian would be a good choice for support. Maybe ranger for ranged dps?

Wife is looking at ranger, myself was debating revenant or guardian

@Khisanth.2948 said:There is still no gear progression and probably never will be. GW2 is just not a good choice if that is what you want.

Thanks, as we are looking for couple time playing, i think gear progression wont be something we will worry about on reflection

Since you probably haven't been logging in for the unlocks the bigger issue might be having to pay for the unlocks(could be done with gold).Think we logged in for 3 of the living events, but dont mind putting some coin in if it is fun

That is always subject to change with balance changes but right now you could go for some combination of firebrand(guardian), renegade(revenant) and druid(ranger).As above thank you, the wife is set on ranger, I may try guardian to save putting £25 in the game right away until we played a bit.

@vaidd.7902 said:

@AliamRationem.5172 said:Class choice is a tough call for open world because anything can work. But guardian would be a good choice for support. Maybe ranger for ranged dps?

Wife is looking at ranger, myself was debating revenant or guardian

@Khisanth.2948 said:There is still no gear progression and probably never will be. GW2 is just not a good choice if that is what you want.

Thanks, as we are looking for couple time playing, i think gear progression wont be something we will worry about on reflection

Since you probably haven't been logging in for the unlocks the bigger issue might be having to pay for the unlocks(could be done with gold).Think we logged in for 3 of the living events, but dont mind putting some coin in if it is fun

That is always subject to change with balance changes but right now you could go for some combination of firebrand(guardian), renegade(revenant) and druid(ranger).As above thank you, the wife is set on ranger, I may try guardian to save putting £25 in the game right away until we played a bit.

As others have stated, there's no gear progression which is one of the best things about GW2. To expand there's gear variety - allowing you to build differently and have different playstyles for the same class (i.e. condi, power, support, hybrid).

Secondly, and one of my mistakes when I first started playing at launch was choosing a character based on the archetype I typically go with in MMO's, the paladin/knight/templar. So naturally I chose guardian. I'm not saying you won't enjoy it, but before settling on a main I highly recommend trying out different classes and elite specs. I was shocked at how much fun I had on the old version of chronomancer (Mesmer), weaver (elementalist - the archetype I hate most in MMO's), and Holosmith.. among others. The reason I suggest this is to prevent burning out and ultimately quitting again because of choosing based on an idea of what you feel the class to be. Reality is in this game all professions can do all types of play (with the exception of thief not having a support build), they just do it all differently.

@Strider.7849 said:Secondly, and one of my mistakes when I first started playing at launch was choosing a character based on the archetype I typically go with in MMO's, the paladin/knight/templar. So naturally I chose guardian. I'm not saying you won't enjoy it, but before settling on a main I highly recommend trying out different classes and elite specs. I was shocked at how much fun I had on the old version of chronomancer (Mesmer), weaver (elementalist - the archetype I hate most in MMO's), and Holosmith.. among others. The reason I suggest this is to prevent burning out and ultimately quitting again because of choosing based on an idea of what you feel the class to be. Reality is in this game all professions can do all types of play (with the exception of thief not having a support build), they just do it all differently.

Thanks I've tried a few classes now till 15, though not really making an end choice. I have decided a few that arent me, currently thinking necro maybe a good stable choice

@vaidd.7902 said:

@"Strider.7849" said:Secondly, and one of my mistakes when I first started playing at launch was choosing a character based on the archetype I typically go with in MMO's, the paladin/knight/templar. So naturally I chose guardian. I'm not saying you won't enjoy it, but before settling on a main I highly recommend trying out different classes and elite specs. I was shocked at how much fun I had on the old version of chronomancer (Mesmer), weaver (elementalist - the archetype I hate most in MMO's), and Holosmith.. among others. The reason I suggest this is to prevent burning out and ultimately quitting again because of choosing based on an idea of what you feel the class to be. Reality is in this game all professions can do all types of play (with the exception of thief not having a support build), they just do it all differently.

Thanks I've tried a few classes now till 15, though not really making an end choice. I have decided a few that arent me, currently thinking necro maybe a good stable choice

It is too early to judge any class or profession at level 15. You just get access to your second weapon bar at level 15. You will need to equip a second weapon to get access to new skills or you will still use the same skills as your first weapon have. If you use Bow it is a 2 hand weapon (short: 2H) so it will fill all 5 weapon skills, but with axe (main hand or MH) and torch (offhand or OH) you will fill the second weapon bar that you can swap to. (Check that you have set up key bind in Option>Controls to weapon swap). First time you equip weapon you will "learn" new skills, so you will need to equip weapon to activate those new skills and unlock skills from Hero Challenges (in your Hero Panel>Training).

Wait until level 80 and after that you have Mastery which is next phase of progression in this game. It will add new skills, abilities and how a character is played. Mastery is shared on an account vs level progression that is character based. Mastery can change character if something isn't working as well on one profession. Later you can use Books of Knowledge to level up another character to level 80 (as long you use those to get Spirit Shards).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hero_challengeIn core maps you only earn 1 HP or Hero Challenge, in all other maps you earn 10 Hero points. For fast level it is best to go to those maps that rewards 10 HP and back to map completion on core maps to get rewards from completing those. It depend on what fast you and your partner want to level up, but the rewards on core is less useful when you are higher then the original map where designed (before Maguuma and PoF maps). You will get Black Lion keys so it is not a waste of time doing core.

I would recommend to also invest in crafting at early stage to avoid getting access to ascended armour later on (or legendary armour). You will also save space as you can turn Ore into Ingot as an example. You start with only 250 stack (can be increased with purchase from Gem Store). Here is a list of conversion between different types of Ores. 3 Iron Ores will give you 1 Ingot. Same for wood and textile mats.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Refinement#Ingots

PS Homeworld is only important if you and your partner are going to play WvW as it is based on server (which define which group of people you and your partner will join and fight with; blue, green or red team - those colour is on rotation and which is server that is linked with each other and fight other servers are also changing from time to time). There is more precise info on GW2 wiki. Don't set WvW server it until you have decided if you want to join a WvW guild (and if there is a open space for both of you as some servers are full). All other PvE or sPvP is possible play independent of WvW servers (except for EU vs NA restrictions).

Play Guardian.you have a staple class there and ranger is very good too. Basically all classes are. One trick is to go to PvP with your toon and try it there to see the skills and how it feels.

Gw2 is about enjoying the gameplay, not about gear grind but you First ascended sets will take a while.

From there just do it try around, obviously doing things like the current festival is nice fun and profitable and daily completions are a nice task to complete too.