Any way to get Black Lion Keys/Statues? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Players Helping Players

Any way to get Black Lion Keys/Statues?

I've been just doing the story of this game so I haven't really expanded much upon everything. I found out that you can apparently get a Mini Snow Owl pet with 2 Miniature claim tickets which you can buy for 10 statues.
I currently have 4 statues, but like 15 chests. So I'm just wondering if there is any way to get keys, preferably without spending much irl money...

Thank you for the help.

Comments

  • Seera.5916Seera.5916 Member ✭✭✭✭

    You could convert gold to gems to by keys.

    You can do map completion outside of cities as there is a chance you'll get a key instead of a transmutation charge (transmutation charge is the more likely of the two)

    Once per week you can do the level 10 personal story quests and get a key from it.

    Level 60 personal story also has a key from it, it's not gated weekly since it takes a decent amount of time to actually get there from creating your character.

    Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

  • Map completion is likely the fastest way in game only, as BLC Keys have about a 25% chance to drop on Zone clearance (75% its Transmute Charges). HoT maps are pretty fast for this in my experience and I have run multiple characters there in part to farm the keys.

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Seera.5916 said:
    You could convert gold to gems to by keys.

    You can do map completion outside of cities as there is a chance you'll get a key instead of a transmutation charge (transmutation charge is the more likely of the two)

    Once per week you can do the level 10 personal story quests and get a key from it.

    Level 60 personal story also has a key from it, it's not gated weekly since it takes a decent amount of time to actually get there from creating your character.

    Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

    You also get a key from the first step of the level 40 personal story.

    (You can also get them from the Heart of Thorns Act III story and the Tangled Paths episode of Season 2, but since those both require you to be level 80 and they're not quick to get to, especially the HoT one, they're not very practical to repeat as a source of free keys.)

    I think running the level 10 story once a week and doing map completion are the best ways to get free keys. But I'm not sure how that compares in terms of the time required per key vs. farming gold and buying them.

    Incidentally you can get miniature claim tickets directly from black lion chests, so you might not need 20 statuettes.

    Danielle Aurorel, Desolation EU. Mini Collector

    "Life's a journey, not a destination."

  • Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Danikat.8537 said:
    I think running the level 10 story once a week and doing map completion are the best ways to get free keys. But I'm not sure how that compares in terms of the time required per key vs. farming gold and buying them.

    For JUST the lv10 key it would be hard to beat with gold farming. A key cost between 31g-46g depending on how many you are buying at a time. The run takes around 30m so the gold farming g/h would have to be 62g/h-92g/h. I don't think you can get that anywhere right now.

    For going all the way to lv60 that is 15g/h-23g/h if you have level your character to 60(as opposed to using ToKs) since for me it is around 6h(most of the time is taken up by leveling at around 10 level per hour). It will also include a karma booster and item booster so that could increase the potential value depending on how much you care about those.

  • Hesione.9412Hesione.9412 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Khisanth.2948 said:

    @Danikat.8537 said:
    I think running the level 10 story once a week and doing map completion are the best ways to get free keys. But I'm not sure how that compares in terms of the time required per key vs. farming gold and buying them.

    For JUST the lv10 key it would be hard to beat with gold farming. A key cost between 31g-46g depending on how many you are buying at a time. The run takes around 30m so the gold farming g/h would have to be 62g/h-92g/h. I don't think you can get that anywhere right now.

    Yeah, I did back of the envelope maths. While I didn't come up with exact costs, I came up with a quick figure of how much gold-per-hour I would need to farm instead. And came to the same conclusion - time taken to key farm is much more efficient than time taken to get in-game gold.

  • thank you all for the comments, I was just wondering however, since you can get only 1 key from level 10 story per week, does the timer reset 7 days from receiving the key or on a monday or something.

  • Mungo Zen.9364Mungo Zen.9364 Member ✭✭✭

    @Andrej.4293 said:
    thank you all for the comments, I was just wondering however, since you can get only 1 key from level 10 story per week, does the timer reset 7 days from receiving the key or on a monday or something.

    It resets about 12:30 AM PST Monday’s

  • @Mungo Zen.9364 said:

    @Andrej.4293 said:
    thank you all for the comments, I was just wondering however, since you can get only 1 key from level 10 story per week, does the timer reset 7 days from receiving the key or on a monday or something.

    It resets about 12:30 AM PST Monday’s

    Thank you so much for the information.

  • m k m.2014m k m.2014 Member ✭✭

    @Andrej.4293 said:
    I've been just doing the story of this game so I haven't really expanded much upon everything. I found out that you can apparently get a Mini Snow Owl pet with 2 Miniature claim tickets which you can buy for 10 statues.
    I currently have 4 statues, but like 15 chests. So I'm just wondering if there is any way to get keys, preferably without spending much irl money...

    Thank you for the help.

    And never buy keys, it's a scam, spend $100 and only got t6 bags, unistall for the moment

  • Seera.5916Seera.5916 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @m k m.2014 said:

    @Andrej.4293 said:
    I've been just doing the story of this game so I haven't really expanded much upon everything. I found out that you can apparently get a Mini Snow Owl pet with 2 Miniature claim tickets which you can buy for 10 statues.
    I currently have 4 statues, but like 15 chests. So I'm just wondering if there is any way to get keys, preferably without spending much irl money...

    Thank you for the help.

    And never buy keys, it's a scam, spend $100 and only got t6 bags, unistall for the moment

    It's not a scam.

    Only buy keys for the feeling of surprise you get when you're opening the chests. Don't buy keys with the hopes of getting some rare or super rare drop. You're just asking to be disappointed because it will take more keys on average than you're likely wanting to spend to get it unless you get lucky.