The real size of the locations in the game.

FizKult.1927

Hello friends! Please write if someone knows the resource or perhaps once the developers themselves said, what is the size of locations in the game? For example, the queensdale?*often you can find people compare the scale of locations in different games and calculate in kilometers. I was wondering if someone might have met such information about GW2.Queensdale_map.jpg

People calculated that the ingame measure "range" equals about 1 inch. So if a longbow has a range of 1200, the arrow shoots 1200 inches. I'm not sure if anyone used this to measure the size of the maps, but it should be easy enough to do so.Another helpfull thing would be to mention that a raptor jump on flat terrain with canyon jumping active is about 1730 units (inches) or 4.4 meters.

@"mercury ranique.2170" said:People calculated that the ingame measure "range" equals about 1 inch. So if a longbow has a range of 1200, the arrow shoots 1200 inches. I'm not sure if anyone used this to measure the size of the maps, but it should be easy enough to do so.Another helpfull thing would be to mention that a raptor jump on flat terrain with canyon jumping active is about 1730 units (inches) or 4.4 meters.

Okay, thank you very much.

@Randulf.7614 said:I don't believe any such scale exists. The closest we have had is in Ghosts of Ascalon where a trip from Ebonhawke - Ascalon City on foot took several days.

I've seen calculations that work the entire (core) map to be just over 12 miles wide which seems utterly ludicrous to me

In lore the world would be much bigger than it actually is in the game, otherwise there is a severe shortage of things like farmland - the few farms we see couldn't feed everyone in the area, let alone nearby cities. So it depends on whether someone is trying to estimate the real size of the map in the game or what it would be if it was real, based on the lore. The second is also a lot more subjective.

One method I've seen to calculate actual distances in games (not the lore size, the actual map size) is to make a medium height human, set them to walk and count paces to estimate distance. There's calculations available to convert 'average' paces to standard measures of distance, it's not completely accurate of course because pace sizes are different between people, but that's why you use a medium height human - to get as near to average as possible. Ideally you don't need to walk across the whole map in a straight line, you use that to find the size of areas in the game and then use them to measure. (For example measure the distance between two points, take a screenshot of the map showing both points and overlay that section onto screenshots of the rest of the map at the same resolution.) It's easier in games where the map is divided into squares, because then you just need to measure 1 square and multiply it.

I don't know if anyone has done that (or an equivalent method) in GW2 but it wouldn't surprise me if it came out as something like 12 miles. In-game it's possible to walk from Ebonhawke to Rata Sum in less than 12 real-world hours, and that's not going in a straight line. (Someone might know exactly how long it takes, I think the Pride parade does it annually.)

@"mercury ranique.2170" said:People calculated that the ingame measure "range" equals about 1 inch. So if a longbow has a range of 1200, the arrow shoots 1200 inches. I'm not sure if anyone used this to measure the size of the maps, but it should be easy enough to do so.Another helpfull thing would be to mention that a raptor jump on flat terrain with canyon jumping active is about 1730 units (inches) or 4.4 meters.

Um. No. 1730 inches is 144 feet, which is more like 44 metres. (Your decimal place is incorrect.)

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

Um. No. 1730 inches is 144 feet, which is more like 44 metres. (Your decimal place is incorrect.)

Sorry, I'm metric. I only entered it in Google, but apparantly got it wrong. 44 meters makes more sense