Is it possible to play thief well in PvP/WvW with high ping? (250+ ping)

Joshewwah.2956

@Joshewwah.2956 said:

@Cynz.9437 said:

@Justine.6351 said:You cant really play anything well with that kind of ping.

Nyes. With such ping i would play something more bulkier and relying more on passives. Thief is none of that so no to answer OP's question.

Curious as to what you consider bulkier and reliant of passives?

Depends on playstyle. Warrior was always a safe pick. Guardian can work as well, question is whether you want to play support. Druid can be also an option since part of mechanics is initiated by the server.Now obviously, don't understand me wrong, no class allows you just to log in in match and afk on point but i think thief alone with rev and some mes builds probably get punished more by hitting mid of dodge than other classes. In short, i would stay away from glass canon/roamer builds.

Some of our skills have a janky response as they get queued up and you might find yourself double dipping into initiative when you were certain you only activated the skill once.

Most WvW players can feel a zerg fight and can almost tell you in what direction and how far away it is even if they can't see it. I don't know what it would feel like without experiencing high ping all the time but you might be playing a slideshow at times. It's probably doable though, just get used to what it feels like when the zerg stampede is nearby.

@kash.9213 said:Some of our skills have a janky response as they get queued up and you might find yourself double dipping into initiative when you were certain you only activated the skill once.

Most WvW players can feel a zerg fight and can almost tell you in what direction and how far away it is even if they can't see it. I don't know what it would feel like without experiencing high ping all the time but you might be playing a slideshow at times. It's probably doable though, just get used to what it feels like when the zerg stampede is nearby.

Ping and fps are two different things.

Is it possible, yes. Should you? Depends.

Just as a bit of background, I'm an Australian with an average ping of 270ish. I've played around 800 matches on thief and around 3500 matches overall. Would I consider myself a capable player? yeah I would. But the statistics say something different, my win rate on thief is around 48%, my win rate on ranger is around 60% and my win rate on engi is around 72%, and I freaking suck on engi. The results might be biased though because I played a lot of thief when I first started playing gw2 about 1.5 years ago, but if you asked me for my opinion I would definitely say it is not a good idea to play thief if you want to be successful.Being an aussie you don't notice the lag usually, but trust me there is nothing more painful after you've been watching sind for like 1hr and you go into pvp on thief yourself. You don't know how many times I've cried in discord "omg how did that not get interrupted! Crap now I lost this, fml."

@Zlater.6789 said:Being an aussie you don't notice the lag usually, but trust me there is nothing more painful after you've been watching sind for like 1hr and you go into pvp on thief yourself. You don't know how many times I've cried in discord "omg how did that not get interrupted! Crap now I lost this, fml."

Omg, truer words could not ever be said.

The problem is not that you miss skills. The problem is that few years ago they changed how teleport spells interact with high latency. I used to play on NA with 170ms on avg, i finally had to move to EU (where i have 20-40 ms) because of the change(i took this video before i moved to EU, just to give an idea what it looks like with high ping

).What happens a lot is that you use steal or shs, it goes on CD but doesn't teleport you. Getting hit mid of dodge is other a thing as well.

@Cynz.9437 said:The problem is not that you miss skills. The problem is that few years ago they changed how teleport spells interact with high latency. I used to play on NA with 170ms on avg, i finally had to move to EU (where i have 20-40 ms) because of the change(i took this video before i moved to EU, just to give an idea what it looks like with high ping

).What happens a lot is that you use steal or shs, it goes on CD but doesn't teleport you. Getting hit mid of dodge is other a thing as well.

Alright that's a bug, I have personally never seen that happen myself, but I'm not an old time gw2 player.

What I'm talking about is not skills being cancelled or missing, just overall late to the party. Have you ever tried using head shot on a skill with a 1/4s cast with 251ms ping? It's actually impossible to hit reactively because the server cannot even register that you have used headshot until after the skill has been completed. Then when you include human reaction time you have a whole new level of masochism.

There are times you can do things proactively though, and this is the saving grace. When you are used to fighting against certain builds you can very quickly identify trends and typical rotations and you learn how to bait properly. Unfortunately, not every match is smooth for me and there are always lots of times I am stuck in unfavourable situations where I do need to be reactive.

@Asur.9178 said:

@kash.9213 said:Some of our skills have a janky response as they get queued up and you might find yourself double dipping into initiative when you were certain you only activated the skill once.

Ping and fps are two different things.

Ya I know the difference from usual fps slideshow. Comcast decided we needed to be a third world not too long ago, it was less of a choppy fps slideshow and more of a twilight zone until you catch up slideshow but with disconnects sprinkled in. It was playable with high ping but lose spot in queue a couple of times and might as well quit.

I play on a Mac, and have been through some of the worst lag. I’m a thief and love to play the class, when HoT came out I couldn’t pvp anymore because of the lag, so I came up with a build that can survive in a laggy game.https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fgw2skills.net%2Feditor%2F%3FvZAQNAoYVn8lCFOh9OBWOBkmiFqiy7CShtrLCCgGYO77%2BwH-jpRAQBh8QAAgHAgHPBAe4IA0j9HmYZAA

Works like a charm just spam dodge

@Joshewwah.2956 said:Title

over 250 ping thief player over here and yea you are able to do well with your thief and probably many game as well (been there, done that). In gw2, 250-400 ping won't cause that much of a problem since your input delay will get delayed only by a milisecond. However, around 500+ ping you will experience quite significant disadvantage such as higher delay time and also enemy start teleportation around you.

In order to overcome this issues is to know how much input delay you currently have and which skill that got heavily affected by that. Once you got your best setup, the fight shouldn't be that tedious.

Archived