Is there any viable Power Reaper Build for PVP?

WilnerGW.3275

So after the changes to Reaper on 7th Balance Path, is it viable to play a Power Reaper buil in PvP?

Or am i hurting myself and my team so much doing it?

I am looking at MetaBattle, there are 3 Reapers Build there:

So, were those changes any good?Does any1 here play a power reaper build that would like to share with me?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quaggan believes Reaper isn't a thing as long as Scrooge McDuck remains supreme. Also, Quaggan has feeling that last balance changes were more nerf than buff, since removing ability to soak damage as trade for some more damage in Shroud doesn't help much when you're the least mobile person in match.

I use the Vampiric Greatsword build when I use Reaper in PvP. With a few changes.

-Take Awaken the Pain instead of Chill of Death-Well of Darkness instead of Well of Suffering, the double blind fields are extremely useful

-Generally save your wells for melee, drop them at your feet, they are wasted on far away targets-Focus on teamfighting-You may want to duo with a holosmith or a druid, they should deal with targets that don't engage melee

All this with a grain of salt, I haven't done any ranked with Reaper so don't know if it's in any way competitive. In unranked it mostly destroys anyone that gets too close, even scourges. 2v1'd a scourge and a daredevil the other day for a bit, 20 secs later our holo comes by and smashes the scourge while I already downed the DD.

@Yannir.4132 said:I use the Vampiric Greatsword build when I use Reaper in PvP. With a few changes.

-Take Awaken the Pain instead of Chill of Death-Well of Darkness instead of Well of Suffering, the double blind fields are extremely useful

-Generally save your wells for melee, drop them at your feet, they are wasted on far away targets-Focus on teamfighting-You may want to duo with a holosmith or a druid, they should deal with targets that don't engage melee

All this with a grain of salt, I haven't done any ranked with Reaper so don't know if it's in any way competitive. In unranked it mostly destroys anyone that gets too close, even scourges. 2v1'd a scourge and a daredevil the other day for a bit, 20 secs later our holo comes by and smashes the scourge while I already downed the DD.

this is pretty much on point besides duoing with holo or druid. I'll say a good firebrand with a Good Reaper would out sustain a majority of the player during a battle at mid capture point. However i don't rune Great sword i use a life sephion sustain power build.

@zoopop.5630 said:

this is pretty much on point besides duoing with holo or druid. I'll say a good firebrand with a Good Reaper would out sustain a majority of the player during a battle at mid capture point. However i don't rune Great sword i use a life sephion sustain power build.

Could you link it here?

^ thats not a bad build at all.I've been giving it a solid go of it or trying to. Unranked as i'd rather not enter into ranked on a reaper though it may be a better option possibly. I've had some success with a healing ammy (the new one) well, shout build. I'm not too good with GS so i tend to run staff, though i can see how GS may prove a better option. I've tried variants of different more common reaper builds as well. If you, your team, can avoid getting melted by condi, you can pull off some good things. I've certainly gotten stomped out there but i've also had some not blowout matches where i've pushed pretty high into double digits without getting caught up an killed.

I've been goofing around with a similar build to the one above.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBHhZ6kjGocTsdTw2GgeTs8LYUbhvQwKOJ+EniQfpAwHA-jZRHQBcY/hBeCAAwhAoAPBgsVGAA

Staff might seem odd but it's good for gaining LF and more might before actually getting in close and going for the big hits. I've had Shroud 5 hit for more than 20k before. You're super glass however so it's better to jump in, use all your heavy hitters, then get out as fast as you can.

More of a gimmick than anything, but it is cool.

Figured I would post my variation on here as well.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBHhF6kjGocTszGw8GgeTsgLYxVxuYZEqNFAOAUdh2wzC-jpBHQBB8EAAgDBg4OCAE8BAotyAdY/BA

Pretty similar to Crinn's and Burr's builds above with some of my own personal preference. Probably the biggest differences is in spite I'm running chill of death for extra boon hate and some flat damage and on greatsword I run agility+intelligence. I like to combo grasping darkness into gravedigger which is pretty slow normally, but with the quickness it catches most people off guard and you can land the gravedigger fairly consistently (makes for a very satisfying way to finish off fleeing foes).

@Crinn.7864 said:I run thishttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBHhF6kjGocTs2Gw8GgeTssLYxTxq4Wk6KcGSWQnpEQAA-jJhIABA8EA8/UA8x+DUXGAAI don't get the Relentless Pursuit over Augury of Death. It's like a very weak version of Speed of Shadows to me, and I played with both as well in the past.

I had a lot of fun with a supportish/bunkerish reaper. Out sustaining most condi bombing, given I don't move when tormented, and don't do anything when confused, waiting for these to fade while my wells/shroud protect/heal me like a lazy peon. Was staying at plat 2-3 last garbage season with a good portion of this build. Only played in unranked this season though. Received a lot of insults when I told my teams about my role.

I was queuing as a thief though, to fuck matchmaker, providing great support to Scourges, and laughing at anyone trying to take me down when alone on point (besides some really good spellbreakers, but it was taking them a pretty long time still).

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBhQD7kkGo2GsmGwnGgeTsIOYxBwDYDcqAExCAUJgOweC-jpxHQBK7IAMwDCAAeAAf7CAci9HkXZAANote that sometimes you pray for a teammate to go down before you so you get a free (huge) heal/protec. :)

@Ara.4569 said:

@Crinn.7864 said:I run this
I don't get the Relentless Pursuit over Augury of Death. It's like a very weak version of Speed of Shadows to me, and I played with both as well in the past.

I had a lot of fun with a supportish/bunkerish reaper. Out sustaining most condi bombing, given I don't move when tormented, and don't do anything when confused, waiting for these to fade while my wells/shroud protect/heal me like a lazy peon. Was staying at plat 2-3 last garbage season with a good portion of this build. Only played in unranked this season though. Received a lot of insults when I told my teams about my role.

I was queuing as a thief though, to kitten matchmaker, providing great support to Scourges, and laughing at anyone trying to take me down when alone on point (besides some really good spellbreakers, but it was taking them a pretty long time still).

Note that sometimes you pray for a teammate to go down before you so you get a free (huge) heal/protec. :)

You run Relentless pursuit because:1) There are a lot of scourges, and scourges puke out cripple 24/7.2) Because there are a lot of scourges, there are a lot of people running LB rangers with that infernal pulsing root trait.

@Ara.4569 said:

@Crinn.7864 said:I run this
I don't get the Relentless Pursuit over Augury of Death. It's like a very weak version of Speed of Shadows to me, and I played with both as well in the past.Its for prevent kiting (Relentless pursuit + Hoelbrak)

Here mineNCSY! helps vs Firebrands, cleanse for the party with shouts, corrupt burst with Axe3, swap to GS, GS5, enter Shroud. Unblockable after NCSY!

I swap Spectral Armor for Plague Signet vs Scourgy teams and YSIM! for Consume Condition when vs heavy condi teams.

Whats your definition of viable? Trying to get top 10?

There is a reason why ppl think power reaper isnt good atm. Just look all this links posted in this thread and you would realize not single one is good build. Also ProcMancer is considered more condi or hybrid than power option and the other 2 power build on metabattle are very bad. Ofc if ppl have fun with them and dont aim for top or play on NA, they are good, but if you aim at top, dont run single build that is linked in this thread. If you get good build (+skill) power reaper can be completely competitive in ranked games.Also the changes that were on 7th were changes reaper needed, good changes.

I have several hundred games on a power reaper. I very stubbornly insist on staying power and using the greatsword. Here's kind of my take:

Almost everything else that you will face is inherently stronger. 1v1 most well-played classes can kite you and out-sustain you. That being said, most people don't play their class anywhere near optimally, so if you get comfortable with power reaper, you will enjoy winning a lot of your fights. Also, it does excel at dealing damage when it's not being focused down. If the enemy makes the mistake of letting you freely DPS, they will definitely feel it.

However, the bad news is this: Scourges. Scourges are currently far more useful to their team than Reapers and so strong that there are a lot of them. They also absolutely counter Reaper 1v1, don't let someone tell you otherwise. Basically you will never have enough condi cleanse, and most power reaper builds rely on boons (Consider the all-important boon gain to life force trait - you need boons) and they will have a field day corrupting those into 50 stacks of torment.

@Emapudapus.1307 said:Whats your definition of viable? Trying to get top 10?

There is a reason why ppl think power reaper isnt good atm. Just look all this links posted in this thread and you would realize not single one is good build. Also ProcMancer is considered more condi or hybrid than power option and the other 2 power build on metabattle are very bad. Ofc if ppl have fun with them and dont aim for top or play on NA, they are good, but if you aim at top, dont run single build that is linked in this thread. If you get good build (+skill) power reaper can be completely competitive in ranked games.Also the changes that were on 7th were changes reaper needed, good changes.

Procmancer died with the removal of hydromancy and geomancy sigils. The fact that it's still listed shows how pathetic metabattle has become. As for power reaper, I've been playing at top 250 rating with a power reaper this season.

But please keep throwing your ego around, it's amusing.

@Crinn.7864 said:

Procmancer died with the removal of hydromancy and geomancy sigils. The fact that it's still listed shows how pathetic metabattle has become. As for power reaper, I've been playing at top 250 rating with a power reaper this season.

Lol, if someone thinks differently then you , you must start with personal accusations? Whats this pointless reply?

Also if you want to make these builds instantly 50%+ better, swap gs with staff.

@Emapudapus.1307 said:

@Crinn.7864 said:

Lol, if someone thinks differently then you , you must start with personal accusations? Whats this pointless reply?

Also if you want to make these builds instantly 50%+ better, swap gs with staff.

If I was to play staff I'd just go condi scourge. There is no point to running staff/axe power builds because you just end up with a underpowered version of scepter/staff condi. Greatsword brings unique capabilities that no condi build can do.

Since staff has no damage on a power build the argument for using it was for it's utility, specifically the Fear, along with the chill from chilblains. But that's mediocre compared to GS's toolkit. I can make just as many clutch plays with Nightfall and Grasping Darkness as Staff Fear ever could, and unlike staff, you can actually hurt people with a GS. Lets not forget that GS has much superior LF generation, and it's bursty LF generation as well. Oh and lets not forget Soul Eater's 200 hps passive healing while in GS on top of 0.5% LF per second generation.

The only time I would consider staff on a power reaper is if I'm against a Scourge stack.

Crinn, first of all: Staff > greatsword, regardless of build, no discussion. - staffmasterrace

@Crinn.7864 said:Lets not forget that GS has much superior LF generation, and it's bursty LF generation as well.

Wrong.Necrotic Grasp can generate up to 20% lf per cast. 22% with Soul Reaping and an additional 4% per mark.

Oh and lets not forget Soul Eater's 200 hps passive healing while in GS on top of 0.5% LF per second generation.

But you're also missing out on Chilling Victory which is 1% life force and a Blighter's Boon proc on a 1 sec cooldown. Granted, less reliable than a steady tick/sec, but you don't have to be on greatsword for it and it gives you a decent amount of might.

@Crinn.7864 said:As for power reaper, I've been playing at top 250 rating with a power reaper this season.

Just fyi, Ema is playing power reaper as well and he currently sits at 1838 mmr. He doesn't have this week's min matches yet but that would place him at rank 5 EU.

@flow.6043 said:Crinn, first of all: Staff > greatsword, regardless of build, no discussion. - staffmasterrace

@Crinn.7864 said:Lets not forget that GS has much superior LF generation, and it's bursty LF generation as well.

Wrong.Necrotic Grasp can generate up to 20% lf per cast. 22% with Soul Reaping and an additional 4% per mark.

Oh and lets not forget Soul Eater's 200 hps passive healing while in GS on top of 0.5% LF per second generation.

But you're also missing out on Chilling Victory which is 1% life force and a Blighter's Boon proc on a 1 sec cooldown. Granted, less reliable than a steady tick/sec, but you don't have to be on greatsword for it and it gives you a decent amount of might.

@Crinn.7864 said:As for power reaper, I've been playing at top 250 rating with a power reaper this season.

Just fyi, Ema is playing power reaper as well and he currently sits at 1838 mmr. He doesn't have this week's min matches yet but that would place him at rank 5 EU.

Necrotic Grasp generates 20% LF only under perfect circumstances. I don't think I should have to lecture on how unlikely piercing 5 targets is with that skill. Death Spiral generates 12% just for hitting a single target, with a maximum of 32% if hitting 3 targets. Lets not forget the LF that GS generates from Grasping Darkness, Soul Eater, and Autos.

As for Chilling Victory. Chilling Victory generates 2% LF with Blighters on a 2second CD but only against chilled targets. Now lets look at chill sources available to axe/staff outside of shroud, those sources are: Chillblains, CTTB, and Reaper's Mark. None of those skills offer long chill durations, and those skill's cooldowns are significant. And of course we are in a meta where, thanks to scourge, a lot of people are stacking cleansing, so your chills ain't going to be around long.

My estimates put that chill uptime on target is somewhere around 10%, with my estimates being based on reviewing of recording footage. (I record and review all of my matches.) Granted that's for my own build which runs far more chill access than your typical axe/staff build does.

Just fyi, Ema is playing power reaper as well and he currently sits at 1838 mmr. He doesn't have this week's min matches yet but that would place him at rank 5 EU.And if he is like every other 1800+ player, he got to that rating by simply going far and overskilling anyone that tries to contest him. Which is a very effective strat for those with that amount of skill, but is basically meaningless when discussing build crafting.

Now I will not deny that Staff is a excellent weapon for dueling and fighting outnumbered on far. But as far as teamfighting goes, GS is a significantly superior weapon.

You can play power reaper and win games while also having fun, stick with it because 90% of forum users will tell you scourge is the only viable build to play when it comes to Necro.

A lot of peoples idea of "viable" is - "are you are a top 10 player".... Best to ignore this elitism and continue to climb/have fun on your own Reaper. Reaper has a lot of ways to counter most classes, including scourge. (reflection of my self there with a power build, I can't beat scourge on condi reaper but I won't say it can't be done or isn't viable because chances are, there is someone being extremely successful with it on thier own build/play styles)

@Crinn.7864 said:

As for power reaper, I've been playing at top 250 rating with a power reaper this season.

@Crinn.7864 said:Reaper does not win against scourge.

How did you get to top 250 on power reaper if you don't beat scourges as a reaper? Did you adapt your build and play-style since our last encounter on this topic when I posted ....

@sephiroth.4217 said:Scourge isn't broken, it's quite balanced.....

If you're unwilling to adapt builds then by all means, keep dying and crying. Even a power Reaper will beat Scourge

I can see your build has an Axe, you definitely adapted :blush: by taking some range.

Archived