Renegade Build

Loboling.5293

Hey everyone,

Since the meta hasn't changed at all, I decided to share my renegade build from last season that had some success. You can swap kalla for shiro for some matchups.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQNAscmnXNWMTqJvmR/kZzsgytZ4QZ3MYr8bmFZliNGuhf4PCvwOUNAOgHA-jZhRABjeGAWuMAA7P09DA46DBAA

I found the build worked well up to platinum, and has a lot of decent matchups. It's a flexible build that can support (condi protection 50% x2 one per legend) the damage can be quite high, and once you get used to the playstyle it's good in pretty much all 1v1 matchups.

I still think it's lacking in plat+, but if someone in lower league wants to fight a sourge on point for a bit or take down a condi mirage 1v1, this build is solid. It's just not amazing, but it's a lot of fun to go toe to toe with most builds.

Edit: Shiro variant. (although invocation works too; but its greatest use in the other build mentioned is allowing both jalis and kalla to use lots of abilities on swap..)http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQNAscmnXNuNSqJ7JR/kVlsgyrS4QZWJYrcskFNlqdACgI4PIHymUNGuhfA-jZhRABjeGAAY/hlLDc9hAo7HAAA

@"Jack Skywalker.5674" said:How was Kala good for you in pvp - why did you use it?Also why not Kala/Shiro?Did you keep dwarf just for spining hammers and elite?

Dwarf is pretty strong on it's own. The hammers allow for much more dps during moves like unrelenting assault, and lot's of healing too. The elite is clearly the best part of the build, but I do use all the skills. When you start with 80 energy, you have room to use your taunt, and group stability. It can help with stomps, and the pull/taunt helps secure kills in teamfights.

Kalla is pretty decent at 1v1s. With it, I've managed to beat scourges on point. That's pretty difficult with any other rev build I've tried. They can still do some damage, but with 33% passive damage reduction from condies, along with 25% reduced duration from runes, tied with hammers for another 20% reduction and also the dwarf elite, or kalla heal (this can be feared, so wait till after the first fear to cast). You can be quite immune to conditions. And with menders healing and some decent damage, you can take on scourges and mirage 1v1 without leaving the point. It's a strange build, since it lacks mobility (which is where you can swap in shiro).

But while I'm not arguing that kalla is amazing, for 1v1 she's pretty solid and aoe interupts, lifesteal and 66% reduction to conditions for allies, she can support mid quite well too, while being resistant enough to conditions that you can participate more directly. (instead of circling the mid fight like most rev builds nowadays)

I don't consider jalis as optional. He's core to the build, but kalla can be traded for some more mobility, and less "pressence" on point.

I honestly don't know how you think you survive a fight with scourge or even a 1v1 with mirage, which will literally eat you alive. Also this build makes you susceptible to any power ranged builds. Even with Dome on heal it won't save you. Also you're sacrificing the only thing revenant has, which is dps, in favour of faux survivability.

I wish I could right now. My main computer is down right now, but maybe in a week I can have something posted.

Try the build before you smash it, it's not a simple build, but when it comes to conditions, you have some serious mitigation. Again, I don't claim this to be a top end build. Just that I had no trouble moving from silver to gold 3 with this build. (with some other builds sprinkled in, like staff zerker ele, soulbeast and scrapper; I like to make off the cuff builds)

Funny enough, the build that smashes this build the most is a good herald... Otherwise, I didn't find anyone could kill me in 1v1. And I could slowly turn the tides. Don't focus on damage, focus on your sustain and defense. Eventually the enemy scourge/mirage gets through their burst, and you've survived, and then you start to deliver some surprising damage. Both scourge and mirage can kill you with this build, but only if you mess up. Worst way to lose to scourge, get condi bombed, and pop kalla heal, then get feared along with spirit in different directions... You melt pretty fast. Mirage has a pretty hard time, but I was spiked down a few times when I wasn't paying enough attention by some really good ones.

But the only build to simply wreck me over and over on this build came from a herald funny enough. They can out-sustain our dps, and our focus on condi defense tilts the scales further in their court. Still smashed a lot of heralds with this build, but I met a few that could pick me apart over and over. I had to avoid them... haha I wasn't sure if I should be upset or happy that herald can be so dominant in a 1v1. ;P

I've been doing something similar for fun, and yes it can get into lower plat if you are good. Just know that it's not the best build out there.

One thing though is you really should never drop devestation. Build would actually be better off running dev/inv/ren.

The reason for this is Dev is just too good to the point where it's really the only good thing rev has. Losing dev is a 18-30% damage loss depending on the matchup. With it you can solo FBs. In fact FB deletion is pretty much the only thing Rev has going for it in the current meta tbh. Take that away and you can't even kill bunker weaver, might as well just be playing Warrior at that point.

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:I've been doing something similar for fun, and yes it can get into lower plat if you are good. Just know that it's not the best build out there.

One thing though is you really should never drop devestation. Build would actually be better off running dev/inv/ren.

The reason for this is Dev is just too good to the point where it's really the only good thing rev has. Losing dev is a 18-30% damage loss depending on the matchup. With it you can solo FBs. In fact FB deletion is pretty much the only thing Rev has going for it in the current meta tbh. Take that away and you can't even kill bunker weaver, might as well just be playing Warrior at that point.

I agree devastation is a powerful traitline, but if you play around with Charged Mists you can pull out some sick combos, and the additional stunbreak is very useful when running Jalis/Kalla.

Either way, I play two builds with it, one with shiro and devastation and one with kalla and charged mists. Also losing Retribution takes away your ability to defend teamates from condi bombs in both legends. With jalis active and retribution traits, you can stack 10 seconds of 50% reduction to conditions for your whole team, and then swap and stack it with your kalla heal, and then no condi bomb can get through your aoe lifesteal (elite).

You know what's even better than using charged mists combos without devastation?Using them with devastation.Always take devastation if you are running sword.

I've tested some sword builds and found that you are actually better off totally dropping renegade and running inv/ret/dev as a straight "core" rev than dropping devastation from your build. The damage output and sustain from it is worth more of an elite slot than Renegade is.

Or just play Herald. Herald is better these builds are only for fun.

• 1 month later...

@"Loboling.5293" said:Hey everyone,

Since the meta hasn't changed at all, I decided to share my renegade build from last season that had some success. You can swap kalla for shiro for some matchups.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQNAscmnXNWMTqJvmR/kZzsgytZ4QZ3MYr8bmFZliNGuhf4PCvwOUNAOgHA-jZhRABjeGAWuMAA7P09DA46DBAA

I found the build worked well up to platinum, and has a lot of decent matchups. It's a flexible build that can support (condi protection 50% x2 one per legend) the damage can be quite high, and once you get used to the playstyle it's good in pretty much all 1v1 matchups.

I still think it's lacking in plat+, but if someone in lower league wants to fight a sourge on point for a bit or take down a condi mirage 1v1, this build is solid. It's just not amazing, but it's a lot of fun to go toe to toe with most builds.

Edit: Shiro variant. (although invocation works too; but its greatest use in the other build mentioned is allowing both jalis and kalla to use lots of abilities on swap..)http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQNAscmnXNuNSqJ7JR/kVlsgyrS4QZWJYrcskFNlqdACgI4PIHymUNGuhfA-jZhRABjeGAAY/hlLDc9hAo7HAAA

why "all for one" if you dont have kalla ..... and s/s vs necro ... glchoose s/a its much better and devastation

@Arkantos.7460 said:

@"Loboling.5293" said:Hey everyone,

Edit: Shiro variant. (although invocation works too; but its greatest use in the other build mentioned is allowing both jalis and kalla to use lots of abilities on swap..)

why "all for one" if you dont have kalla ..... and s/s vs necro ... glchoose s/a its much better and devastation

Swap to Sudden Reversal if you switch to shiro.

this is the best variant to use after testing several variationshttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQNAscmnXMXNSumrJRZz/kst5gSY38QJ4berkFNl6PIPymsdACgIgdMWj3A-jpgSABHXGAg9HAAthe design is fight around points and not roamingfast might stacks up to 25steal life enable you to sustain on pointgreat dmg modifier (use sigil 5% also)for heavy condi burst use breakrazor, rotgd and VH to recude dmg by 86% for 5 sec (be sure to be below 10% nrg when switching) (take retribution line instead devastation)

main weakness are thief, herald and mesmer who roam and dont fight on points (consider SB for range pressure . the AA and #2 combine with soulcleave can pressure them a bit)but you should move with a group mainly support them and give them fight and dmg reduction and stability and control (cc)

Archived