Living World Questions

Myco.1824

As far as I understand it to fully experience the story you have to own (or played them at release) the Living world parts?Since they are not dirt cheap (but also not very expensive) are they worth the gems? Either because of the story (only played the first part of the personal story and then with some friends a part of Path of Fire and there I notized that I should know a lot more than I did...) or because of the Items or other stuff you get during the Living world questlines?

sincerelyMyco

I think they are worth it. Apart from the extra story you get to play, and more background information, it unlocks a lot of achievements and ways to get more mastery points.

If you are going to choose only one between Season 2 and 3, Living World 3 unlocks 6 new maps, at least 3 of which are very unique environments.

But I will warn you, this game always makes you feel you should know more than you do, unless you played Guild Wars 1.

I would value them somewhere between not dirt cheap and not very expensive. They're worth playing and the story is a lot of fun; it's kind of up to you if you want to spend money. I'd probably make it a hard goal to buy them with gold and not spend gold on a single thing until I'd accomplished that.

They also unlock a lot of ways to easily get ascended jewelry, if that's important to you.

LS3 is worth it, absolutely, for the maps, the easy ascended trinkets, and the story.

LS2 is less clear-cut. If you don't care about story achievements and no pressing need for Core Mastery Points, you could still experience the story by joining someone who has it unlocked. This will lose a few non-instanced steps and you'll not get any rewards, but if the gist of the story is all you want, it works.

Also, remember that the start of LS2 will still be disjointed from end of Personal Story, due to the missing LS1.

Short story: if you are interested in lore, collections|achievements, or just getting a chance to see a bit of everything, I recommend buying them in bundles, as you can afford that. Based on the way you phrased your question, I think you'll be happy with your purchase and, perhaps more importantly, happier than if you try to save some gold by not purchasing. The total cost is around 625 gold, if you converted right now — I can't think of any in-game purchase at that cost that would provide you with as many hours of fun, things to do, or unlocks.

Longer answers.

@"Myco.1824" said:As far as I understand it to fully experience the story you have to own (or played them at release) the Living world parts?Like any content, it's a different playing experience when it first launches, since everyone is figuring stuff out at the same time and there's a distinct vibe to the game. But that's more of a social/psychological difference than something specific to the content.

Since they are not dirt cheap (but also not very expensive)

• 1280 gems for LS2, buying all the episodes together
  • 960 gems for LS3 as a package

are they worth the gems?There are at least three ways to look at "worth": practical (which can be divided into achievements and collections) versus 'fun' versus 'interesting', all of which are subjective.

PracticalLS3 grants access to the LS3 maps, which offer some significantly easier ways to obtain Core/HoT-stat trinkets and I'd say that alone might be worth the cost, since there are other fringe benefits. There are also a number of achievements and collections only available with LS3, so if those things are important to you, it's also worth the cost.

LS2 also includes a number of achievements and importantly, access to Mawdrey and the associated Bloodstone eater, which many find useful

Interesting

• LS2 includes some Sylvari origin lore which (if it hasn't been spoiled for you yet) includes one of the most amazing reveals I've seen in any entertainment franchise. I feel differently about a number of the NPCs as a result of LS2, something I don't necessarily feel from PoF, HoT, or LS3.
  • LS3 ties up some lore-related loose ends, but I confess I only vaguely remember being shocked or amazed. I feel that the writing was less consistent, so it had a bunch of "say what?!?" moments rather than "oh, wow"

FunThe most subjective of the criteria. I had fun in both. The pacing in LS3 is, for the most part (except LS3.4) much, much better. ANet was still trying to figure out how to manage Living World as repeatable content when they put together LS2 and it shows. The stories were also released irregularly and that shows, too.

To steal a phrase that was never said by Mark Twain (and speaking for myself):

• LS2 is filled with great moments, but lousy half hours.
  • LS3 has pretty good half hours, but not as many great moments (except in a comic relief sense).

Again, to be clear: I liked both at the time of release. I had fun with both.

If you want to do fractals, and will need agony resistance, Living World Season 3 is insanely valuable in helping to get ascended trinkets. I also really enjoyed the story. The achievements are okay, but not as great.

For season 2, I really enjoyed the achievements I’ve done so far. It is also really handy if you are trying to finish core masteries. Like really, really handy. I liked the story, and that it made HoT make at least a little sense. But the story wasn’t as great as Season 3, and a huge part of that is Season 1 not existing any more, but providing the setup for the story.

If you can afford a $25 gem card (sometimes slightly cheaper on eBay), I’d grab both. If I had to pick only one, I’d pick Season 3. If you can’t afford either, it’s fine to wait. Plenty of things to keep you busy until you can afford it.

Interesting

• LS2 includes some Sylvari origin lore which (if it hasn't been spoiled for you yet) includes one of the most amazing reveals I've seen in any entertainment franchise. I feel differently about a number of the NPCs as a result of LS2, something I don't necessarily feel from PoF, HoT, or LS3.

Ummm, it's beed a while since LS2... Which reveals do you mean?

(Maybe hide your answer behind a spoiler tag...)

@Kay Hude.2910 said:

Interesting

Ummm, it's beed a while since LS2... Which reveals do you mean?

(Maybe hide your answer behind a spoiler tag...)

From what I recalll:

! You learn that the Sylvari were created as Dragon minions. You also learn some more about Caithe's back story.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

@"Kay Hude.2910" said:

Interesting
  • LS2 includes some Sylvari origin lore which (if it hasn't been spoiled for you yet) includes one of the most amazing reveals I've seen in any entertainment franchise.Ummm, it's beed a while since LS2... Which reveals do you mean?

(Maybe hide your answer behind a spoiler tag...)From what I recalll:! You learn that the Sylvari were created as Dragon minions. You also learn some more about Caithe's back story.

Precisely.I chose not to hide the answer behind a spoiler tag because, if the OP didn't know about it yet, I didn't want to tempt them with a button that almost screams "press here, press here! press now!?

Thanks for all the great input! I decided to buy the Living world packages!Are there lore videos/text/Podcast not necessarily official ones? because I played GuildWars 1 but that was ages ago and I can't remember much?

And I didn't Press the button!

Archived