Which profession should I settle on...?

Drson.4730

Hi guys, is anyone else a victim of ALToholism in GW2 as me? .... I have all the classes, and I cant decide on main class... :/ Currently Im deciding between Warrior, Elementalist, Mesmer, Necro... The highest endgame activity for me ar Fractals.. I dont care about Raids... So I want to be usefull in group situations... but also I want to be viable soloing... I play mostly solo... PVE only... I dont like PVP... Which class do you think I shoudl focus on.... Im desperate :smile: I play each class every day.. and just want to settle...

I would like to settle on Necro ... but the constant hate against them puts me off :(Makes me feel unwanted playing Necro... But I like new Scourge :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I main Revenant and Thief, none of the classes you like, but here is my opinion anyway: Warrior (and Necro is in 2nd place)

+Warrior have both condi and power build that are good, and you together with chrono and druid you are hot stuff in fractal.

-Elementalist is squishy and have only 1 weapon set, and somehow i feel the gameplay is ... restrict, like you must focus too much to the rotation to have good damage or something like that, feel tiresome.

-Mesmer is not really good for solo openworld/mission PvE when you need to deal with trash mobs isn't it?

+Necro is good for me: Reaper is very good in open world, and is good enough in t4 fractal as long as you don't join the elitist group; and Scourge is also good to carry it own weight in fractal

I really liked Elementalist... but the new Weaver is just too complicated for me I guess... as you, Atamazon, say I feel like if I dont pull the perfect spell combo I dont do much dmg ... and the unforgiving mobs just cluster around me ... especially the new ones :D Hearth of thorns has the toughest open world mobs I think :D

But when I play Scourge I can solo Hero Points Champions, for which I always had to call for group in the /map chat ... and that feels awesome :D So I think I will focus on my Necro :) WIth others on the side ...

And btw Atamazon I feel that Mesmer is good for open world soloing also with S/S + GS Power Build... the problem is I cant really relate to the fantasy and concept of mesmer that much as lets say elementalist ... :D (I know many people probably dont care about this, but sadly I do) it just doesnt feel very satisfying after a while shooting pink lasers all the time :D and also I dont like the fact that if I want to be competitive in terms of DPS I have to go full mellee... I like to have an option to go ranged during the fight...

Which is the same problem with Warrior... I love warrior... Warrior is the only character I have 100% world clear... which bugs me... because I would like to progress further on that one :D I just like to be ranged though :D since I die much more ofthen beign mellee... although the new Spellbreaker has an OP counterattack ability :D

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Drson.4730 said:Im not progressing ... I dont have that much time ... and I want to progress...Most progression is account based so not sure what you arent progressing with...

Getting better gear ... increasing AR... getting the class specific skins... getting world completion... getting better at playing a specific class and its role... finishing personal story...

... you know... stuff that isnt account based...

Same problem here. I’m levelling up my 5th character now - engineer.

I have a thief, Mesmer, necro, ranger and now engineer.

I love the gameplay of the ranger with a greatsword, or thief with daredevil staff, but they just don’t seem flashy enough to me. We are in a world full of magic! Let’s see sparks or flames or purple beams or whatever

@MrMojoRisin.7364 said:Same problem here. I’m levelling up my 5th character now - engineer.

I have a thief, Mesmer, necro, ranger and now engineer.

I love the gameplay of the ranger with a greatsword, or thief with daredevil staff, but they just don’t seem flashy enough to me. We are in a world full of magic! Let’s see sparks or flames or purple beams or whatever

I feel you... I need to be flashy ... I need to feel like my skills (spells) are seen ... :D I need to feel impactfull

Same problem here, but I reached this point after playing a warrior for 4 years. I want a new profession too, one that will allow me to use my legendaries, has utilities that feel solid to use, fits my playstyle, and has some flash and appeal. Like you, I mostly play solo because of the crazy work and sleep schedule I have now. I too have level 80s in every profession. My first choice for a new main was actually Ele; however, again like you, the function of Weaver just melts my brain and I find myself randomly pressing buttons which ends up in my death more often than not. Anyway, for me I think it will be Guardian as a main. I can bring over most of my weapons, they are functional to use, I like the Dragonhunter's traps and longbow, and I enjoy the Mantras (I play a lot of Mesmer). Finally, I played Guardian back when the tomes were Elite skills so seeing them return on the Firebrand is a pretty nice nod/throwback to the early days of the game.

By the way, Drson, the endgame armor and weapons is account bound so you can swap them around at will. Since that kind of gear (ascended) is what you need for the high-level fractals, it has the AR slots in them, that also means that the AR moves around between toons. The only restriction to keep in mind is that the armor weights. Soldiers can't wear Adventurer or Scholar armor, and so on.

Currently Im actually trying to lvl up my Mesmer Mirage elite spec... Mirage looks cool ... also as I said I really like mesmer ... je is actually very good for solo content ... can tank with illusions and dissorient mobs ... Mesmer is very vesitile, has a lot of different utilities .. and Im curious about the Mirage ...

Ive seen on Metabattle the Mirage condi spec for Raids... do you guys think it can be used for fractals?

Mesmer was fun until I started doing open world pve with it in the HoT and PoF maps and just.. ugh. It's not fun for me in the open world at all unless I'm taking on one enemy at a time. Then I tried guardian, and it's fun but I didn't really like how everything was restricted to being in melee outside of the lame sceptor, and I'm just not a fan of the longbow for DH. Next I tried ranger, but both elite specs just aren't exciting for me, I either have to give up my pet or play a weak healing spec. I finally settled on necro, which at first I thought was boring, then I stopped using all minions and instead started running with just the flesh golem and the healing minion, plus the damage and blinding wells and the immovable worm minion for when I need it, plus shroud just feels so fun to use. Made leveling fun as heck. Then I tried reaper and was truly in love. The animations are so beautiful and it feels really powerful.

Rev is my next favorite class because the weapon skills feel really fun, but the energy system felt really restrictive, and the skills just felt awkward to use. I'll probably try it out again because I really do like the animations and stuff.

Either way, this is all from a strictly casual PVE perspective, I don't do much dungeons or fractals..

With Mirage I find it quite simple to deal with groups of mobs in open world. Both staff and axe have decent aoe ambushes, and what those don't utterly destroy (with like 4 seconds delay for condis to tick in) a well placed shatter would usually finish.

Power specs will work a bit different, but can also dispatch mobs effectively.I really like how the clones divert agro, but are quite squishy (or you shatter them) so you have to be always more or less in control of the situation and your positioning.

First class I ever tried in the game was Necro, it looked cool and edgy with it's Reaper form(still the coolest feature of the class imo), it's access to gs which is my favorite weapon and the staff that turns into a scythe in combat what else could I ask for?Played on it for quite some time even reaching lvl cap and then started map completion, while at it I also tested every other class in the game except ofc Mesmer 'cause it looked too girly, until one day that I was a bit burned out by map completion I decided to make an Asura (my first race other than Human) Mesmer with the idea of giving it the most redicoulous armor skins I could get my hands on for the lols - that was it, the moment I started playing it I couldn't believe how appealing it was to me, how much it fit my playstyle, always liked high mobility mage assassins (which Mirage elevated on a different level). Been a Mesmer main ever since and never managed to pick another class up other than it.

@DKShang.8792 said:Same problem here, but I reached this point after playing a warrior for 4 years. I want a new profession too, one that will allow me to use my legendaries, has utilities that feel solid to use, fits my playstyle, and has some flash and appeal. Like you, I mostly play solo because of the crazy work and sleep schedule I have now. I too have level 80s in every profession. My first choice for a new main was actually Ele; however, again like you, the function of Weaver just melts my brain and I find myself randomly pressing buttons which ends up in my death more often than not. Anyway, for me I think it will be Guardian as a main. I can bring over most of my weapons, they are functional to use, I like the Dragonhunter's traps and longbow, and I enjoy the Mantras (I play a lot of Mesmer). Finally, I played Guardian back when the tomes were Elite skills so seeing them return on the Firebrand is a pretty nice nod/throwback to the early days of the game.

By the way, Drson, the endgame armor and weapons is account bound so you can swap them around at will. Since that kind of gear (ascended) is what you need for the high-level fractals, it has the AR slots in them, that also means that the AR moves around between toons. The only restriction to keep in mind is that the armor weights. Soldiers can't wear Adventurer or Scholar armor, and so on.

Dude, btw did you try Sword/Dagger Weaver for open world? I played it a bit yesterday, and it has quite good soloability with all his CC, and its quite fun .. AND FLASHY :) :) The negative is, that it is mellee... :( I would love if Sword was like 500+ range ... or something like that :) I just cant relate to the concept of mellee mage...

Though it is no Scourge necro or Chrono Mesmer :D :D

Staff Weaver really sucks for open world ... not like previous Staff builds, they were passable ... the sword is quite fun and mobile...

Also guys, Shoridan and Mikel thnx for your feedback, I will also lvl up my Mirage, because I dont have the specialization leveled to max, and I need to have it maxed to fully test it out...

So it seems I went a little back to the concept of leveling a number of classes to get the new specialization... only then I will be able to make an educated decision...

Also guys for Necro, do you like Reaper or Scourge more for PVE? :) :)

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:I chose what i will play based on the enjoyment. And its boring if rotation is simple or not flexible/without tricks. If you decide to main something you should be able to have fun with it for hours

You are actually quite right kind sir! :)

I know Im starting to ramble... but thats the forums are for :) I hope :)

For this reason as I previously mention went back to Ele... I always liked the complexity of Ele... but the Weaver seemed overwhelming with all the element mixing... most of all we lost the Overcharges (or what the name is) which I liked...

but I tried Sword/Dagger and its quite compeling, and I started to figure out the mixing element... Im just grinding to get all the skills and traits because I dont have many yet... so I believe its gonna be even stronger and more fun then :)

@DKShang.8792 said:Same problem here, but I reached this point after playing a warrior for 4 years. I want a new profession too, one that will allow me to use my legendaries, has utilities that feel solid to use, fits my playstyle, and has some flash and appeal. Like you, I mostly play solo because of the crazy work and sleep schedule I have now. I too have level 80s in every profession. My first choice for a new main was actually Ele; however, again like you, the function of Weaver just melts my brain and I find myself randomly pressing buttons which ends up in my death more often than not. Anyway, for me I think it will be Guardian as a main. I can bring over most of my weapons, they are functional to use, I like the Dragonhunter's traps and longbow, and I enjoy the Mantras (I play a lot of Mesmer). Finally, I played Guardian back when the tomes were Elite skills so seeing them return on the Firebrand is a pretty nice nod/throwback to the early days of the game.

Dude, I love the concept of Guardian and the flashy effects of his spells as well :D and I struggled with trying to use Tomes Ulti in Fractals back in the day .. maybe I was even the only one, because it wasnt very good, the cast times were soo long :D the global heal one especially :D ... but I loved the concept ...

So the new specialization draws me back to Guardian as well :D but I think I have too many Classes I want to lvl up and choose a main from... Guardian will remain the ALT for me I think .. but I definitely will lvl him up just to try the tomes out later... :)

@Drson.4730 said:Dude, btw did you try Sword/Dagger Weaver for open world? I played it a bit yesterday, and it has quite good soloability with all his CC, and its quite fun .. AND FLASHY :) :) The negative is, that it is mellee... :( I would love if Sword was like 500+ range ... or something like that :) I just cant relate to the concept of mellee mage...

Sw/d weaver used to be my main, but I switched to mirage because while I find the weaver sword the most fun weapon in the game, there is no weapon switch. You are stuck in pure melee range, which can make your life miserable in some encounters.

Mirage feels more versatile, and while it has no weapon as fun as the weaver sword, it compensates in other areas. It is just as complex to play, but more forgiving and less frustrating to play at times.

@Shoridan.2569 said:

@"Drson.4730" said:Dude, btw did you try Sword/Dagger Weaver for open world? I played it a bit yesterday, and it has quite good soloability with all his CC, and its quite fun .. AND FLASHY :) :) The negative is, that it is mellee... :( I would love if Sword was like 500+ range ... or something like that :) I just cant relate to the concept of mellee mage...

Sw/d weaver used to be my main, but I switched to mirage because while I find the weaver sword the most fun weapon in the game, there is no weapon switch. You are stuck in pure melee range, which can make your life miserable in some encounters.

Mirage feels more versatile, and while it has no weapon as fun as the weaver sword, it compensates in other areas. It is just as complex to play, but more forgiving and less frustrating to play at times.

As a preference for my future build, for open world what build do you use? Or just what build do you use in general?

I was thinking the Raid build from Metabattle called "DPS Clone" ... dont know if I can post links... but I believe you know the build... So I thinking this build but Axe/Torch and 2nd weapon set Greatsword??

Do you use something else? Im not sure about this, because Greatsword isnt Condi ... and it seems Mirage is Condi only....

Also this Raid DPS Clone build... do you think its usable in Fractals? I dont see any reason why not... but there is no recommended Mirage build for Fractals at MetaBattle ... :(

I think most builds on metabattle are not up to date.I run a hybrid dps mirage, GS has no place there IMO. Power mirage exists, but I believe power chronomancer does a better job at it, if you want a power build that is.

The most optimal instanced content builds usually utilize axe/torch axe/pistol, but you are once again locked to melee which I do not like.I used to have a scepter, but since the confusion nerf mesmer scepter is one of the worst weapons in the game. I switched to staff/axe/torch and it is quite ok.I use dueling, chaos and mirage lines, and a mix of carrion/rabid (working on getting viper) armor and viper trinkets.

There are other viable combinations, that one just really works for me.

@Shoridan.2569 said:I think most builds on metabattle are not up to date.I run a hybrid dps mirage, GS has no place there IMO. Power mirage exists, but I believe power chronomancer does a better job at it, if you want a power build that is.

The most optimal instanced content builds usually utilize axe/torch axe/pistol, but you are once again locked to melee which I do not like.I used to have a scepter, but since the confusion nerf mesmer scepter is one of the worst weapons in the game. I switched to staff/axe/torch and it is quite ok.I use dueling, chaos and mirage lines, and a mix of carrion/rabid (working on getting viper) armor and viper trinkets.

There are other viable combinations, that one just really works for me.

Thnx a lot, this is helpful!

If you dont mind me asking, which exact traits do you use?

Dueling (1. Top/Middle/Bottom; 2. Top/Middle/Bottom; 3. Top/Middle/Bottom)

Chaos (1. Top/Middle/Bottom; 2. Top/Middle/Bottom; 3. Top/Middle/Bottom)

Mirage (1. Top/Middle/Bottom; 2. Top/Middle/Bottom; 3. Top/Middle/Bottom)

For your convinience, just copy the text above and delete unfiting options, THANK YOU :)

dont get me wrong. i've been reading a lot, that you dont like different aspects of different professions, but you refer to the latest elite-specs most of the time (always?).

just an example:if you dont like weaver, because its too complicated - stick to tempest. there are a couple of builds that are easy and effective. those builds might not be 100% most effective available but they help you sustain, do dmg and do good in a group (fresh air tempest with aura share, dagger/x. which is basically switching between fire and air and using mostly the same skills while having the option to go into earth/water for more combos - sustain, invulnerabilities, group-buffs). if you cant survive an encounter despite the sustain (because of the low health pool), switch some berserker pieces to marauder.there are many options for t4 fractals, open world (solo hero points), dungeons . less for raids? yes. but that wasnt the intention of your post, was it?

I quickly put the build, here's a link:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAnfWnELDNohVoB2LDMMjlVDrcDUcCAmlglTPxfA2AfgA-jRiHQBVQfAJUroEqqEk9B0oSQntwABV+VrnAAAOFAAA-e

You can change many things according to your taste. I plan on switching the carrion/rabid armor pieces to viper as soon as I can, but they help you get used to the build - you can take a hit if you make mistakes. If you already have viper armor go for it :)

Archived