Why don't Gyros scale with player stats?

Kain Francois.4328

@Kain Francois.4328 said:Was this a conscious decision because they would be too OP if Gyros scaled with player stats? Or was this just a huge oversight?

Dat Shredder Gyro with its ability to be CCed and pitiful radius sounds pretty scary...

Probably for the same reason that necro minions don't scale with stats: because that is how they are balanced.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"Kain Francois.4328" said:Was this a conscious decision because they would be too OP if Gyros scaled with player stats? Or was this just a huge oversight?

Dat Shredder Gyro with its ability to be CCed and pitiful radius sounds pretty scary...

Probably for the same reason that necro minions don't scale with stats: because that is how they are balanced.

Minions are a mobile zoo.

The only offensive Gyros are:

1. Pulsing aoe that goes away after a foe seconds
  2. A slow moving, single projectile which can be dodged and knocked back.

Behold, our powerful "minions" that don't scale with stats.

I think they should, there are such severe inherent limitations and weaknesses to turret/gyro builds it would still not be meta for anything if they scaled based on your stats. I suspect PvP has a lot to do with it, beefed up turrets would cause so many complaints.

This is why I want to punch a baby Quaggan every time one of those "next elite spec" threads pop up and a bunch of people answer with some sort of AI.

Two useless skill types is enough, thanks!

@Vagrant.7206 said:This has long been a problem afflicting most classes with AI -- Mesmers, Rangers, Engineers, Necros. I suspect there's something in the game code where a summoned creature cannot have its stats scale to the summoner.

Thing is, offensive Gyros barely even count as AI. Blaster Gyro is a projectile, Shredder Gyro is an aoe. Except inferior, because they can be CCed and do not stack with stats.

No one is asking to make Scrapper a high DPS benchmark. But the offensive Gyros should not feel so outclassed.

@Kain Francois.4328 said:

@Vagrant.7206 said:This has long been a problem afflicting most classes with AI -- Mesmers, Rangers, Engineers, Necros. I suspect there's something in the game code where a summoned creature cannot have its stats scale to the summoner.

Thing is, offensive Gyros barely even count as AI. Blaster Gyro is a projectile, Shredder Gyro is an aoe. Except inferior, because they can be CCed and do not stack with stats.

No one is asking to make Scrapper a high DPS benchmark. But the offensive Gyros should not feel so outclassed.

What are your take on the support gyros?

to be fair it seems blast gyro always crits, and whirl gyro either always crits or has 50% , the problem is blast and whirl gyro are useless because of the errectic pathfinding, slow movement and because gyros can be killed,i'd rather have support gyros simply pop up when active above the scrapper like function one and instead pulse their effects for a period of time, right now they are glorified turrets summon them for their immediate effect then destroy them for some damage or heal if you got the traits

Mesmer phantasms do, so thats not the problem. I think the limitation is its difficult to have minions clone gear from the player (which is why they are all assigned exotic level weapon strength).

Part of the original reasoning behind all of this is Minions were meant to offset gear choices of the player.... thus Necro minions would always deal consistent damage, even if the necro was full healing spec. This was good in theory during beta, when compounding power wasn't mandatory for builds to function, and more things were weighted on mechanical features of traits. Years down the line, its becoming more apparent that gear stats are one of the biggest problems because of the wide range of performance gaps it creates between otherwise similar builds. The highs are too high, and the lows are too low.... and anything middling is either ineffective, or a less efficient use of our limited stat budgets.

Going back to minions- their fixed performance is a significant problem in all game modes, because the enemies aren't limited to fixed defenses. Boon on players in PvP and WvW mitigates their practically non-threatening damage, unless you can somehow overscale by population (which isn't possible given the very strict caps on how skills can spawn minions). For PvE, its a matter of simple DPS calculations..... where minions simply don't offer enough for the value of the slot in many cases. Even in Minion master builds, they're only done this way to try and stack trait effects, or to capitalize on the secondary effects a skill offers, rather then the minion itself. In theory this would had been ok- except the effects offered my most of these skills are just as underwhelming, or doesn't synergize with either traits or their parent skill, and thus lack the kind of decisive impact need to be taken serious in buildcraft.

Rangers also struggle with this to no end, because their Pet is 25% of their power budget, their weapon and trait coefficients are scale with that in mind, but the pet itself doesn't scale with the Ranger, and of the traits that cause them to scale, the pet receives a fraction of what would be considered normal for a class trait. And since many builds focus a ton of traits to get compounded power, Rangers have to deal with lower base, lower multipliers, and universally lower output per filter as a result. If Ranger traits were inherently designed to shift power between the Ranger and Pet this would be far less of a problem; allowing the ranger to offload in one direction or the other, giving it a unique ability to multitask via split roles at reasonable performance in each. But thats a whole other discussion that will never pan out...... and I can only imply as to why.....

Bottom line is this.ArenaNet is unable to balance out AI controlled support for specific professions.A the start Turrets scaled with condition damage or power, i dont remember which one was it, but it made turrets good with specific builds. To a degree they were good if you menaged to keep them alive, which was rather hard.If turrets can scale with stats, gyros can too, its just that ArenaNet doesn't want it, again cause they cannot create a proper balance for them.Just you wait, gyros will end up like turrets, they will be guted, such is the fate of any AI that follow Engineers around.

Archived