Can Somebody Explain What Living World Is?

Just finished the personal storyline which I understood. Then I went to Lion's Arch because I needed a "recap" of what happened in living world season 1 which led up to Heart Of Thorns I guess? What do I need to know to go into HoT story with knowledge and also what is living world basically?

It's free* updates that continue the storyline of the game and add new maps/items/stuff. Once they happen and pass you can't access them without buying them. The first season can't be accessed at all, thus the recap. If you want details of all the story, just check the wiki. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Story_summary

*As long as you own the relevant expac.

@"XPorkyX.2691" said:Just finished the personal storyline which I understood. Then I went to Lion's Arch because I needed a "recap" of what happened in living world season 1 which led up to Heart Of Thorns I guess? What do I need to know to go into HoT story with knowledge and also what is living world basically?Living World is the content that is being released for free in between campaigns. The content is for free if you log in on time during its release.

Unlike Living World Season 2 and any follow-up season, LWS1 has not been made available for replay. It was a one-time open-world event chain, and ANet has no plans to ever turn it into purchasable, replayable content - which stinks, but that's what the devs have said.

However, there is a full recap on YouTube that I recommend you watch to know what you missed out on:

The summary is pretty long as well, actually. The video might be long, but it sums up what the wiki says better, because it's a series of videos from other players who had recorded themselves doing it. I read the wiki AND watched the video, and the video really is better than just reading. It's more immersive.

Adding to the rest:The GW2-Storyline goes like that: Personal Story-LS1-LS2-HoT-LS3-PoF-LS4As people said, LS1 is not available anymore. You can buy LS2 and LS3 and parts you missed of LS4 from GemShop (worth it IMO, specially LS3+LS4).So, if you want to understand as much as possible: Watch the video/read wiki regarding LS1, buy and play LS2, play HoT expansion, buy and play LS3, play PoF expansion, (buy and) play parts of LS4 so far (new one coming pretty soon). Also you might want to take two weeks off for that. >.>

I didn't see it stated clearly -and hopefully I am not mistaken - LS do not have to be purchased with gems if you log into the game during anytime while they released.

Unlocked episodes can be accessed by any level 80 character on your account. There are two methods for unlocking episodes. Episodes can be unlocked for free simply by logging in to any character during the episode's original release window. This lasts until the next episode is released

@Elva.6372 said:I didn't see it stated clearly -and hopefully I am not mistaken - LS do not have to be purchased with gems if you log into the game during anytime while they released.

Unlocked episodes can be accessed by any level 80 character on your account. There are two methods for unlocking episodes. Episodes can be unlocked for free simply by logging in to any character during the episode's original release window. This lasts until the next episode is released

You are absolutely correct: anyone who logs in today, even Free-To-Play, will get LS4 E2 credited to their account. Then when it ticks over to E3, they have the three months or so to log in to access it. Then, when you own the appropriate bits to access them, you can play those episodes. (I don't recall, but I think you have to own the related expansion? I already do, so I just get them without any delay.)

Agreed, regardless of your account type, if you log in during the episode's release window, you will get the episode unlocked in your account. However, you will need to have unlocked the Path of Fire expansion (by purchase) to actually play it. Past episodes usually become available for gems.

Also, LW S1 used a different schematic that is not compatible with the current story journal system. As it was live-in-Tyria series of events, it is not possible to recreate at this moment. From S2 onward, it uses instanced events, with the "live-in-Tyria" segments being part of "Current Events" in the achievements tab. Such of these are the Shining Blade orders, the dispersal of wild ley energy, and the Awakened incursions. These usually tie-in with certain episodes.

As for accessing LW Seasons:

• Season 2 requires Core or either expansion.
  • Season 3 requires Heart of Thorns.
  • Season 4 (current) requires Path of Fire.

It makes me really happy to see people still recommending my Season 1 movie on the forums here. ?Think of Season Stories as DLC content that continue the story after the main expansion packs.

As others have said, the story timeline in game is: Personal Story -> Season 1 -> Season 2 -> Heart of Thorns -> Season 3 -> Path of Fire -> Season 4I do recommend playing the story in chronological order for best experience!

Enjoy!

Archived