So, your EU servers aren't actually located in the EU?

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/938738-guild-wars-2/64074316

And there I was, wondering why I am having such horrendous loading times (connecting to maps, time for textures to load and mounts to be displayed and moving correctly etc.) and often bad lag during large events.

I have a decent gaming PC and a good internet connection, and no issue with any other online game, be it a MMO or a FPS (no, it is not a hardware issue with my CPU or GPU, or my RAM, network adapter, HDD, or anything else; I did extensive checks to verify that). I even bothered my provider to triple-check everything on their end (modem connectivity, routing and what not), until we did a tracert and ping to the GW2 server to which I am being connected, and discovered heavy packet losses and not even being routed to the actual game server within 30 hops (God knows how many hops it would take to finally get there).

That explains the bad loading times and lags.

This is the server I have been connected to, it is located in Seattle and hosted by (gasp!) Amazon:https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=arin%3a52.59.173.151&run=toolpage

How can this be?

The Devs have explicitly told us where the servers are located. Why would they say that if it were not true? Many complain about the NA server being on the East Coast. If the Devs were going to fabricate locations, they would not put it on the East Coast.The EU server is in Frankfort, just a few blocks from the old EU server. Whereas, the NA server moved from Texas to the mid East Coast.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Sure. If Germany was part of the US.

Did you even bother to check my links? There are no GW2 gaming servers in Germany - don't confuse login servers with actual gaming servers. Type /ip in map chat, then check where that IP is located. You will see it is not in Germany.

OrgName: A100 ROW GmbHOrgId: RG-123Address: Marcel-Breuer-Strasse 10City: Munchen

That's from your 2nd link. Pretty sure Munchen is in Germany.

So, the 2nd link you posted. the part where it says that it's in the US, that is saying who owns the IPs. The 2nd area:

start

NetRange: 52.58.0.0 - 52.59.255.255CIDR: 52.58.0.0/15NetName: AMAZO-ZFRANetHandle: NET-52-58-0-0-1

Etc

Is showing where the IPs are located, which is Munchen.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Sure. If Germany was part of the US.

Did you even bother to check my links? There are no GW2 gaming servers in Germany - don't confuse login servers with actual gaming servers. Type /ip in map chat, then check where that IP is located. You will see it is not in Germany.

I had looked at your links. Look at everyone else’s posts to see why I had said what I said.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:The Devs have explicitly told us where the servers are located. Why would they say that if it were not true?

Okay, I did not have that information, so I assumed the five year old status quo hasn't changed (and that the German address given in said link was related to some legal stuff). Then I suppose it's an issue with how my connection is being routed by the GW2 servers (apparently improperly). I opened a support ticket on that behalf.

Thank you, guys.

-- Thread closed --

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:I'd start, myself, by doing some network testing [...]

I can assure you that it is no issue with my local network, nor with my ISP. That has been thoroughly investigated.

P.S. Your PingPlotter does exactly what I did with Windows' Command Prompt before I sent those results along with my ticket. ;) Like I stated in my initial post, I have a 100% packet loss at several routing points (hops) and when I ping the IP of the server to which GW2 connects me. Those packet losses are outside of my or my provider's network, so it must be a routing issue.

Pings aren't guaranteed to be responded to. When a hop is ignoring pings, it'll appear as a 100% loss, but that doesn't mean it's actually dropping packets, only those directed to itself. Most of Amazon's network does this, which is also why you couldn't trace it within 30 hops, because it'll never find that lost hop since it won't respond (try: tracert 54.239.55.102). The equivalent command to PingPlotter is pathping, but it'll stop at the first hop that doesn't respond, so you'll need to use PingPlotter if you actually want to know.

Archived