Treasure Hunting Kits -- Are they worth the time?

These have been building up in my bank/inventory for awhile now -- it takes so long to track down the buried treasures with them that I rarely find myself actually doing this. What do people do with these things? Is there an actual good use for them, or should I just start burning them?

I tried one during the first PoF beta (showing off the Raptor and a bit of territory around Amnoon), and it did seem to be a lot of work. I have piles of them that just arrive in my inventory from ... somewhere ... as I do stuff in PoF zones.

I keep meaning to do something with them, but somehow there's always something else I want to do:

• chasing mastery points
  • HP communes
  • pushing another character through the original PS (I finally have a non-human - Sylvari - doing the beginnings of the level 80 part of Orr)
  • crafting Deldrimor ingots and Spiritwood planks
  • hunting things for legendary collections
  • map completion in HoT for the remaining HoT elite collections (still need Mesmer, Ele, and Ranger)
  • farming VM without doing the Istan meta stuff. (The things that happened in Kamadan and the Great Hall make me kinda sad.)
  • Chipping away at my second GoB.
  • And so on.

Somehow I never get around to using the kits.

During the superior buried treasure event in Desert Highlands - yes, they can be reasonably valuable. They give you a mix of different stuff, but have the chance to drop ascended recipes, freshwater pearls or black diamonds, elegy mosaics, a few rares, some unid gear. I usually end up grabbing a few other chests/caches on the way to each location, but end up with about 15 chests per 20 minute period.

Gather together a group of at least 4, preferably 10 people, preferably on voice. Basic technique:

• Everyone in the group 'pings' a location
  • The one closest to treasure becomes (temporary) group leader.
  • Find chest, open, repeat.

Other tips:

• Stay together
  • Travel by Griffon whenever possible (using Springer to quickly gain height as needed). The pings are much easier to see & follow from the air.

@"thehipone.6812" said:During the superior buried treasure event in Desert Highlands - yes, they can be reasonably valuable. They give you a mix of different stuff, but have the chance to drop ascended recipes, freshwater pearls or black diamonds, elegy mosaics, a few rares, some unid gear. I usually end up grabbing a few other chests/caches on the way to each location, but end up with about 15 chests per 20 minute period.

Yeah, this. Unfortunately, while they are passably valuable, they are also far less drops than doing, eg, a BitterFrost chest run in about the same time, but hitting closer to 50 chests. I'm probably going to occasionally do this, because it is fun, but I doubt it will ever be the "highest profit" way to spend that time.

Archived