sPvP Thread: Core Condi Engi

Huskyboy.1053

This is a sPvP-only thread, please refrain from comparing, analyzing, or generally derailing the thread by commenting about WvW or PvE.

I have a secret to tell: Core condi engi is very viable in high-level ranked queues. I have been playing it in NA in Plat 2 games and have been quite successful. I know that diehard engi players have been struggling to find a strong core engi build, and the core power build that @"Chaith.8256" made served me well for a while. That being said, after the most recent buffs to pistol condi durations, I'm finding my build works better overall. Here's the link, please try it out and let me know what you think.

Also I can record and post some videos of gameplay footage if anyone wants.

@"Huskyboy.1053" said:This is a sPvP-only thread, please refrain from comparing, analyzing, or generally derailing the thread by commenting about WvW or PvE.

I have a secret to tell: Core condi engi is very viable in high-level ranked queues. I have been playing it in NA in Plat 2 games and have been quite successful. I know that diehard engi players have been struggling to find a strong core engi build, and the core power build that @"Chaith.8256" made served me well for a while. That being said, after the most recent buffs to pistol condi durations, I'm finding my build works better overall. Here's the link, please try it out and let me know what you think.

why not eg instead of ram ? If you record please post the link .

A very niche build, if I'm being honest. Personal Battering Ram isn't worth it for the single target CC and the only gadget that is even worth using in PvP is Rocket Boots. Swap PBR with Elixir U at least seeing that this build is for those who don't like using kits. Also, it has no condition cleanse so the only option you have is Elixir C, again because it's a non kit build.

If you're not going to take Explosives for the bleed procs, you might as well use Scrapper instead for stealth/survivability. It'll do more for you than Alchemy with that build.

If you're taking Tools but not Inventions, you might as well equip a kit and get perma-swiftness with Streamlined Kits. Elixir Gun, Tool Kit, Grenades, or even (ugh) Flamethrower are all good options with condi.

As with all condi builds, you have to work WAY harder than a power holo of equal skill. It takes longer to kill people. They have more chances to cleanse / heal. Support classes ruin your day. Etc. I prefer condi, but you have to admit you're putting yourself at a HUGE disadvantage by choosing it over meta holo.

@coro.3176 said:

• If you're not going to take Explosives for the bleed procs, you might as well use Scrapper instead for stealth/survivability. It'll do more for you than Alchemy with that build.
  • If you're taking Tools but not Inventions, you might as well equip a kit and get perma-swiftness with Streamlined Kits. Elixir Gun, Tool Kit, Grenades, or even (ugh) Flamethrower are all good options with condi.
  • As with all condi builds, you have to work WAY harder than a power holo of equal skill. It takes longer to kill people. They have more chances to cleanse / heal. Support classes ruin your day. Etc. I prefer condi, but you have to admit you're putting yourself at a HUGE disadvantage by choosing it over meta holo.

Yeah the only true advantage I'd say we have here is Moa, which is a huge advantage when used properly. Tempest and Scrapper do ruin this build generally speaking, but you can create openings against a Firebrand by focusing him and loading up condis with Moa, then using PBR and LPBR to keep him from using Tome of Resolve to cleanse. It's definitely possible so long as you understand his rotation.

@Hoodie.1045 said:A very niche build, if I'm being honest. Personal Battering Ram isn't worth it for the single target CC and the only gadget that is even worth using in PvP is Rocket Boots. Swap PBR with Elixir U at least seeing that this build is for those who don't like using kits. Also, it has no condition cleanse so the only option you have is Elixir C, again because it's a non kit build.

No need for a large condi clear. You have active Elixir S and passive Elixir S which prevents condis from doing damage, Healing Turret (clears 2 condis) and Rocket Boots for extra healing and disengage. Add in Sigil of Purging and Toss Elixir S and you'll be able to survive any condi burst and reset, or rotate away if you so choose.

@"coro.3176" said:

• If you're not going to take Explosives for the bleed procs, you might as well use Scrapper instead for stealth/survivability. It'll do more for you than Alchemy with that build.
  • If you're taking Tools but not Inventions, you might as well equip a kit and get perma-swiftness with Streamlined Kits. Elixir Gun, Tool Kit, Grenades, or even (ugh) Flamethrower are all good options with condi.
  • As with all condi builds, you have to work WAY harder than a power holo of equal skill. It takes longer to kill people. They have more chances to cleanse / heal. Support classes ruin your day. Etc. I prefer condi, but you have to admit you're putting yourself at a HUGE disadvantage by choosing it over meta holo.

Like this? I have videos if anyone is interested. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAqanUUBdehlcB+dBEqiF2iC8D3gAgO4H+kfsNGjaD-jJxXABKeCAAY/ByLDk8DAAA

@Peutrifectus.4830 said:

@"coro.3176" said:

Like this? I have videos if anyone is interested.

Scrapper is superior as a condi duelist but inferior for Conquest. You can survive longer via Stealth Gyro but you get kills more slowly by fighting that way, which is a problem. It's preferable to simply have more condi clear or Protection so that you can keep pressuring under fire. Stealth Gyro is useful for Scrapper support builds but not so much damage builds.

@Huskyboy.1053 said:

@"coro.3176" said:

Scrapper is superior as a condi duelist but inferior for Conquest. You can survive longer via Stealth Gyro but you get kills more slowly by fighting that way, which is a problem. It's preferable to simply have more condi clear or Protection so that you can keep pressuring under fire. Stealth Gyro is useful for Scrapper support builds but not so much damage builds.

Agreed. I always play this build as a super mobile +1er. Holding down a point vs2 just doesn't happen but 1v1 or 2v2 it shines.

I'm terms of a core Condi, I've been playing around with this in WvW as a dire/rabid build to practice and I'm going to use it in PvP today.

It ticks most boxes. Safe stomp is best left to others unless SRD is off CD, condi clear is not perfect but there. Condi clear on f5 for bombs, some passive clears, hturret and egun5 with blasts from egun.... and shield 4 if you take it instead of offhand pistol...

Rabid/Undead Pistol/Pistol Purity/Cleansing

Hturret/RocketBoots/ToolKit/Egun/SupplyCrate

Alchemy 1/2/1Tools 3/1/2Firearms 1/2/3

Core Condi is in a meh place atm but its fun and satisfying to play.

Only problem with hybrid amulets is you end up being a bit glassy....

For my condi scrapper, I tend to use Wizards/Scavenging most often.

@EUmad.7645 said:

@"Huskyboy.1053" said:
This is a sPvP-only thread, please refrain from comparing, analyzing, or generally derailing the thread by commenting about WvW or PvE.

I have a secret to tell: Core condi engi is very viable in high-level ranked queues. I have been playing it in NA in Plat 2 games and have been quite successful. I know that diehard engi players have been struggling to find a strong core engi build, and the
that @"Chaith.8256" made served me well for a while. That being said, after the most recent buffs to pistol condi durations, I'm finding my build works better overall.
, please try it out and let me know what you think.

Sorry about the wait, finally got around to posting this. The first match is Plat 2-level ranked, the remaining 2 matches are unranked. I edited out the commercials (sorry I don't pay for Spotify premium) and some R-rated language, so that's why the audio cuts out sometimes.

@Peutrifectus.4830 said:

@"coro.3176" said:

I'm interested in the videos, but I'm curious, what is the purpose of the power in your build, there doesn't seem to be much that uses it. Which is generally something I find to be an issue with any pistol related build, OP's has PBR and Take-down Round which will add up for power based damage I'm sure.

At the time it was prybar, throw wrench and blowtorch. I have to admit that since the last patch, I've been using rabid ammy with undead rune...

Here's one from a month or so ago...

I guess the principles could convert over to core, using alchemy over scrapper and elixir s over slick shoes for the stealth and supply crate to the panic button, hard cc, smoke field and med pack drop... :?

@CallousEye.5018 said:

@"coro.3176" said:

I'm interested in the videos, but I'm curious, what is the purpose of the power in your build, there doesn't seem to be much that uses it. Which is generally something I find to be an issue with any pistol related build, OP's has PBR and Take-down Round which will add up for power based damage I'm sure.

The main reason in my build for Grieving and the trait No Scope is for Elixir X. You'll still get unlucky sometimes and deal flat damage, but when you get crits (especially with Rampage) it can turn a fight or result in a quick kill. Like I said in the video, Tornado is actually preferable because you can just rip through a teamfight and poop on everyone in it.

• 3 weeks later...

@Huskyboy.1053 said:

I have a secret to tell: Core condi engi is very viable in high-level ranked queues. I have been playing it in NA in Plat 2 games and have been quite successful. I know that diehard engi players have been struggling to find a strong core engi build, and the
that @"Chaith.8256" made served me well for a while. That being said, after the most recent buffs to pistol condi durations, I'm finding my build works better overall.

Sorry about the wait, finally got around to posting this. The first match is Plat 2-level ranked, the remaining 2 matches are unranked. I edited out the commercials (sorry I don't pay for Spotify premium) and some R-rated language, so that's why the audio cuts out sometimes.

I dont play engi, and I talk a lot of shi about holo.

But, watching your video, man you are soft aye eff.As soon as someone looks at you, you have to run away.Its cool watching you with all those leaps, you can really move around the map. Looks fun.

But in the beginning of that match you did nothing to help mid.You went far, you couldn't finish the Soulbeast--you didn't decap farand if you thought you were buying time because a revenant messed with you also, I think you are mistaken.They had far when you came, they kept far until your team showed up.And at this point of the video, your team is winning and other than taking a brief 7 seconds of the Revs time, you didn'tcontribute to that.

Your damage seems a little bursty, but not enough to finish anyone.its like you burst, they are at 50-65 percent health, then they get their feet under them, burst youyou and you drop to 20percent hp and run away.The only time I saw you actually kill, was when you had other team mates doing the heavy lifting.

You're good, no doubt about that, I just don't see how you contribute to winning games.Maybe those small team fights, like you talked about, the 2v2's are what you're talking about. /shrugJust my 2 cends for whatever it's worth.

@coro.3176 said:

Hey now!!!! Flamethrower is great (fun)!!!!! I've been toying around with a Scrapper condi build myself. I like Grenades and Elixir Gun, in addition to Flamethrower. I like it out of Scrapper for the hands-free stomp, the barrier and health buffs, but mostly the anti-stealth delivered by the Stealth Gyro that helps to deal with Deadeyes and other thieves that want to walk around under perm-stealth. I just wish Engineer condi builds were stronger, overall.

I've been using a similar setup but with Scrapper instead of Alchemy. Like > @"Peutrifectus.4830" said:

I have to admit that since the last patch, I've been using rabid ammy with undead rune...The raw stats and added toughness I feel is necessary to survive and burst harder for a condi engi. Undead runes with Wanderer amulet also works well.The main problem with the build in sPvP is a lack of sigils for cover conditions.I've resorted to using Sigils of Doom with Energy or Exposure for that purpose, along with the new Toolkit trait with the Toolkit itself for personal defense.My biggest problem though: "Shake It Off" on warriors. They're the only things that render my condi engineer moot.

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

But, watching your video, man you are soft aye eff.As soon as someone looks at you, you have to run away.Its cool watching you with all those leaps, you can really move around the map. Looks fun.

But in the beginning of that match you did nothing to help mid.You went far, you couldn't finish the Soulbeast--you didn't decap farand if you thought you were buying time because a revenant messed with you also, I think you are mistaken.They had far when you came, they kept far until your team showed up.And at this point of the video, your team is winning and other than taking a brief 7 seconds of the Revs time, you didn'tcontribute to that.

Your damage seems a little bursty, but not enough to finish anyone.its like you burst, they are at 50-65 percent health, then they get their feet under them, burst youyou and you drop to 20percent hp and run away.The only time I saw you actually kill, was when you had other team mates doing the heavy lifting.

You're good, no doubt about that, I just don't see how you contribute to winning games.Maybe those small team fights, like you talked about, the 2v2's are what you're talking about. /shrugJust my 2 cends for whatever it's worth.

That's pretty helpful stuff, thanks for the comment. I agree that the "burst" isn't much of a burst per se, though that's true of basically all condi builds, they don't kill people in 5 seconds like one-shot zerk builds do. I will say that any class in the lowest health pool (guard, ele, thief) can be killed solely with Pistol 2 and 4, assuming no condi clears. Of course that's unrealistic, but that should give you some understanding of how much damage there is just from condis.

If you really want to kill someone without them being able to respond, you have to use the combos listed on the Metabattle page. Landing Launch Personal Battering Ram when they try to use a condi clear with a casting time (such as Consume Conditions) is what allows quick kills. Otherwise yes this build does require more poking than "bursts" in teamfights. I might upload more vids if I have time.

@Huskyboy.1053 said:

That's pretty helpful stuff, thanks for the comment. I agree that the "burst" isn't much of a burst per se, though that's true of basically all condi builds, they don't kill people in 5 seconds like one-shot zerk builds do. I will say that any class in the lowest health pool (guard, ele, thief) can be killed solely with Pistol 2 and 4, assuming no condi clears. Of course that's unrealistic, but that should give you some understanding of how much damage there is just from condis.

If you really want to kill someone without them being able to respond, you have to use the combos listed on the Metabattle page. Landing Launch Personal Battering Ram when they try to use a condi clear with a casting time (such as Consume Conditions) is what allows quick kills. Otherwise yes this build does require more poking than "bursts" in teamfights. I might upload more vids if I have time.

Just so you know, I wasn't trying to criticize you.I reread my comments, and it seemed pretty mean.I don't have criticism for you, but I do for the build you are running.

If you care to, watch the other Engies vid on this page. He does much of what you do, but has more sustain, is able to effect fights moreand take a hit without getting rekt. He also moves through fights, around the map but he's not as pressured as you are, because of the way he set up his buildand well, Im sure it takes time to play it like he does, but it seems tankier and more survivable while still doing really good dmg.

Archived