Right way to do Rev

Einlanzer.1627

Something about the Revenant has always not quite felt right. What would you do to change it?

I think I would remove weapon swap, since it was the original intention for it to be more like Ele and Engineer. Then, I would give them a 5th pseudo-legend tied to the Invocation line - probably comprised of generic mist-themed skills that are designed to hybridize and synergize with other legends. I would then let them swap between 3 out of 5 legends instead of the current 2 out of 4.

@Justine.6351 said:Idk, sounds like boring play but that just me.

I think it would be ideal if their chosen legend impacted their weapon skills in some way. I'm not sure how that would work though. I just know that the existing design for revenant feels severely lacking in polish, which I can't really say about any other profession (and, yes, I've extensively played most of them).

@Einlanzer.1627 said:Something about the Revenant has always not quite felt right. What would you do to change it?

I think I would remove weapon swap, since it was the original intention for it to be more like Ele and Engineer.

If you remove weapon swap then probably the cooldowns of weapon skills should be halved. A sword + sword Revenant with halved cooldowns would destroy any class in the game, they will be facing a Precission Strike, Unrelenting Assault or Grasping Shadow every 3 seconds and a 2 second block every 6.

I don't think such a massive change as removing weapon swap will ever happen now; it would be too large of a change to the class. They'd have to redo every weapon and every legend and there is no guarantee that what we'd end up with would be better than what we have now. The original rev without weapon swap was beyond bad, it was horrific.

I personally think that traits shouldn't be as constricted since our legend skills are so restricted. Plus many of the ones we have are very lackluster and uninspired.

Heck, just let us start at 100% energy and move to 100% energy on swap.

Not having weapon swap sucks. It just does. A great example is the new POF encounters where the mobs 100% evade all melee attacks for a good chunk of time. Not having weapon swap works on Elementalist/Engineer because they can swap their weapons around either via Attunements or Utilities. Even then wholly melee only options can suck for them as Sword shows for Ele not having any ranged options outside of conjures (most of their abilities take you back into melee...lol).

The biggest issues with the Revenant is simply energy. Everything we do is limited by energy so long as they keep the restoration of energy on swapping it's always going to be the game play to channel our energy to zero then swap for +Energy. Whether they increase it to 100 on swap or we start at 100 out of combat or we get traits that increase energy restoration or decrease energy costs none of that is going to change the base mechanic of using all our energy till zero then swap for +Energy. So all the countless threads and posts on removing energy costs, adjusting energy costs, adjusting energy values and everything regarding energy is really just adjusting the numbers but not really addressing the issue.

High (35+) energy costs were meant to offset lower cool downs since energy's static 5/sec regen (without channels) means something like Jade Winds has a 50 energy cost, or 10s "cool down", but that's essentially a global cool down on all skills that take energy (since you need to wait for more energy) which is why it's so low comparatively to other classes. However this becomes problematic in light of the way the Revenant ends up getting played. If we calculate we can do Embrace the Darkness, Searing Fissure 3 times, and Echoing Erruption before a swap that leaves us no real room for dynamic play. That high (35) cost Pain Absorption stunbreak suddenly becomes too expensive when we need access to it. That means we either have to save energy "just in case" and then ultimately end up wasting it (losing damage) or we can spend it all and get caught in a scenario where we can't access the utilities that we need to.

I don't think there's really any good solutions to this unfortunately. It's an inherently flawed game play mechanic that's straight up inferior to the one they moved to. What made the energy system work in GW1 was you had unlimited choices in those slots. I could slot all support. I could slot all damage. I could take one upkeep skill. We just don't get that choice with Legends or Weapon sets to pull off such a resource system that is very limiting to what we're capable of doing.

@Einlanzer.1627 said:Something about the Revenant has always not quite felt right. What would you do to change it?

I think I would remove weapon swap, since it was the original intention for it to be more like Ele and Engineer. Then, I would give them a 5th pseudo-legend tied to the Invocation line - probably comprised of generic mist-themed skills that are designed to hybridize and synergize with other legends. I would then let them swap between 3 out of 5 legends instead of the current 2 out of 4.

Also throw in some utilities to be changed out with the current ones we have for build diversity, and make them all mesh together and i could get behind this.

Personally I'd remove the energy costs on weapon skills and the energy reset on legend swap then re-balance the numbers. I really don't like weapon skills and utility skills competing for energy. It generally results in not being able to use weapon skills because I need the energy for utility skills. Impossible Odds -> AA until out of energy is just terrible. I also dislike the energy reset as I'm forced into swapping legends on CD just to have enough energy to be competitive. I think the point of legend swapping should be to get access to new utility spells not to be used on CD for energy return. Removing the energy reset would also allow you to pool energy before swapping for a combo or to catch someone off guard.

Archived