Suggestion: scaling FC damage

Torq.4926

Although its damage is now quite anemic after the recent patch, full counter originally encouraged an odd behavior where you would want to deliberately walk into pulsing aoes and other weak attacks just to proc it for damage, which ran contrary to the skill's defensive nature. This always seemed somewhat counterintuitive so I can kind of see why it got nerfed.

Not sure if it's technically possible, but I think it would be cool if the damage instead scaled off the power coefficient of the incoming skill that triggered it, meaning that you would want to use it strategically to block major attacks like eviscerate or arcing slice for maximum effect. This would preserve the potential of the skill to punish attackers for bursting into it while making it less rewarding to trigger it off random aoes or mesmer clone autos.

This would have been a much better idea than what they did, but in certain circumstances could be a little too OP. There are a few PvE foes that do a percentage of your health as damage instead of having damage multipliers and whatnot. If I remember the forged bastion's charge up laser beam skill does a percentage of your health.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Forged_Bastion

@"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:This would have been a much better idea than what they did, but in certain circumstances could be a little too OP. There are a few PvE foes that do a percentage of your health as damage instead of having damage multipliers and whatnot. If I remember the forged bastion's charge up laser beam skill does a percentage of your health.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Forged_Bastion

I mean rather than nerfing competitive FC they could have applied OP's suggestion and leave pve alone.

@TheBravery.9615 said:

@"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:This would have been a much better idea than what they did, but in certain circumstances could be a little too OP. There are a few PvE foes that do a percentage of your health as damage instead of having damage multipliers and whatnot. If I remember the forged bastion's charge up laser beam skill does a percentage of your health.

I mean rather than nerfing competitive FC they could have applied OP's suggestion and leave pve alone.Yes, it would almost certainly need to be split from pve@Strages.2950 said:I could live with this. But how would it work against condi builds? Scaling it off the power coefficient seems a little too simple.It's hard to come up with a perfect solution for this, but one idea I had was to remove the flat +20% damage on revenge counter and instead make the conditions copied by that trait scale off the stats of the player that originally applied them. For example, if you copied a scourge's burning back onto him with revenge counter he'd take burn ticks based on his own condition damage. However, in this case they'd probably need to make the skill single target, as otherwise a spellbreaker could just run into a teamfight and repeatedly spread an enemy scourge's condis to his own team

@Torqiseknite.1380 said:

@"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:This would have been a much better idea than what they did, but in certain circumstances could be a little too OP. There are a few PvE foes that do a percentage of your health as damage instead of having damage multipliers and whatnot. If I remember the forged bastion's charge up laser beam skill does a percentage of your health.

I mean rather than nerfing competitive FC they could have applied OP's suggestion and leave pve alone.Yes, it would almost certainly need to be split from pve

This split would be a different mechanism between gamemode since there would be a mechanism looking for the the coefficient of the incoming attack to apply it and ANet don't split mechanisms, just numbers.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

I mean rather than nerfing competitive FC they could have applied OP's suggestion and leave pve alone.Yes, it would almost certainly need to be split from pve

This split would be a different mechanism between gamemode since there would be a mechanism looking for the the coefficient of the incoming attack to apply it and ANet don't split mechanisms, just numbers.A split doesn't necessarily have to change the damage calculation, they could just put a cap on how much damage the skill can do against nonplayer opponents, similar to when they had a npc only icd on meteor shower

@Torqiseknite.1380 said:

This split would be a different mechanism between gamemode since there would be a mechanism looking for the the coefficient of the incoming attack to apply it and ANet don't split mechanisms, just numbers.A split doesn't necessarily have to change the damage calculation, they could just put a cap on how much damage the skill can do against nonplayer opponents, similar to when they had a npc only icd on meteor shower

Except that in case of damage done in %age of health you do not have damage coefficient and this would make the skill broken for this peculiar situation. It's just plain simple for ANet to keep things as they set them up.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

Except that in case of damage done in %age of health you do not have damage coefficient and this would make the skill broken for this peculiar situation. It's just plain simple for ANet to keep things as they set them up.

As Dadnir said they won't change anything other than damage numbers, critical multipliers, condition/boon duration/stacks, recharge , not what the damage is based on. That would functionally make the skill 2 different skills.

@darthchuks.7349 said:How about scaling FC damage to the warrior's health? As in the less health the warrior has, the more damage FC deals, similar to a thief's Heartseeker skill, but in reverse.

This wouldnt change how you actually want to procc fc yourself. Now they just run into weak guard symbols and it proccs, this is why so many ppl flamed and begged for a nerf in the first place, your suggestion wouldnt change that. OPs suggestion would, and it would seperate good from bad players. Those that time it to block a vital skill and also those that stop said attack when they see fc coming up. (those are the good players)

I actually had the same idea, its simple for all ppl that ever watched meliodas from the seven deadly sins use his full counter. But since arenanet will never make such changes i didnt even bother bringing it up

I think this is a good idea in general, but IMO it should be tied to the Revenge Counter trait. The "revenge" aspect accounts for copying condi's onto the target hit by FC, but it doesn't do anything for power damage (other than just 20% increase on already low damage skill)

I think something like "Revenge counter now causes FC to scale based on the gradient between the 0 damage taken during FC and the damage that would have been received had FC not been cast".

Archived