So this is baffling. (Permanent contracts & Black Lion Chest drops)

I went to unlock my current Black Lion Chest. Now, several chests ago I had gotten a voucher for the permanent hair stylist, which I used, and now have the Permanent Self-Style Hair Kit. Several chests later, and by that I mean now the recent one I have opened, the chest dropped me a one-use Self-Style Hair Kit.

I'm confused.

Why do I need a single-use Self-Style Hair Kit when I have a permanent one in my bank? It effectively turned my chest unlock into a bunk chest (non-useful chest). Now, normally, when I get a bunk chest I just shrug and move on. But a single-use item when you have a permanent version in your account storage, unlocked AND bound to you?

It just baffles me. Help a skritt out?

EDIT: Picture for clarity.Xc5Phpe.jpg

It isn't unlocked on your account like armor or weapon skins. I don't think they have a way to check to even see if it unlocked on your account when it comes to the chests. And considering that the odds of even acquiring a permanent contact is just so abysmally low, they probably don't even see it as a priority. Congrats on winning the BL lottery though.

It's not baffling. BL chests are designed so that literally 90% of the contents is fluff, some of which is occasionally useful to some people. And there will always be some who find some of the drops to be entirely without value.

In the OP's case, it just happens that one of the single-use items belongs to the latter. But for some people, the hair kits are useless with or without the permanent stylist.

@altermaven.7385 It also doesn't matter whether the permanent kit is in your bank or a shared inventory slot or even the specific character's personal inventory. You still get a chance to have the single-use kits. The same applies to all the other permanent kits (bank access, vendor, TP pickup access, upgrade extractor, repair kit) - their corresponding single-use kits can drop from BLCs. (Well, strictly speaking I don't know if that's true for bank access and the upgrade extractor, because I don't have those on permanent, but it is true for the others.)

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:@altermaven.7385 It also doesn't matter whether the permanent kit is in your bank or a shared inventory slot or even the specific character's personal inventory. You still get a chance to have the single-use kits. The same applies to all the other permanent kits (bank access, vendor, TP pickup access, upgrade extractor, repair kit) - their corresponding single-use kits can drop from BLCs. (Well, strictly speaking I don't know if that's true for bank access and the upgrade extractor, because I don't have those on permanent, but it is true for the others.)

Well, thanks for letting me know about those as a whole. As I stated, I'll have to resolve to just using up the single-use ones that are account-bound and have the permanent ones as a last resort.

Archived