Support Profession Help

MooglesBrew.8273

Hello everyone, I could use some help on deciding a profession to take through end game for the first time. As you can tell (or not), I'm quite new to GW2 and trying to find that one main profession to get good with. Currently, I'm trying to decide between the Elementalist and the Revenant. I am trying to find something that can be a staple in dungeons, open world, and can dabble into PVP and WvW.

For me, I am a support style player when it comes to MMORPGs (healer in FFIV), and seem to be able to play supports pretty well. Also, mostly solo and just group for different dungeons when I absolutely need to. Any insight and explanations would be very helpful. Also, got both expansions so can do either spec.

Druid.

People who tell you to revenant obviously don't PUG because otherwise they'd know that the vast majority of PUGs are sheeple and want a druid's perma prot and traditional druid/chrono comp since firebrands are much rarer to find to complement the renegade.

Take one good look at the distribution of NA Fractal T4 daily groups for both cm and non-CM and you'll see how they specifically look for druids and little else.

@Zenith.7301 said:Druid.

People who tell you to revenant obviously don't PUG because otherwise they'd know that the vast majority of PUGs are sheeple and want a druid's perma prot and traditional druid/chrono comp since firebrands are much rarer to find to complement the renegade.

Take one good look at the distribution of NA Fractal T4 daily groups for both cm and non-CM and you'll see how they specifically look for druids and little else.

I know people want Druids. Revenant still works though and the choices are between Revenant and Elementalist.

Between the professions you mentioned take rev. If you wanna do raids. If you wanna do mainly fractals take ele.Ele is perfect for 5 man content but lacks support on 10 ppl.It also has good rezz cappabbilities with staff.Rev has overall better build quality with heal herold and is not as squishy.

The "best" support though is druid. Mainly because it can buff galore and has decent healing besides that. Its the go to support for raids.

And as a curveball: After you gained some experience with the game you can even try scourge support. Its basically the carry bot of Gw2. You can rezz 5 ppl simultaneously and freaking fast too.It gives good might and provides a lot if barrier. I normally dont support but scourge support is hilariously good with a totally whacked group.

@MooglesBrew.8273 said:Hello everyone, I could use some help on deciding a profession to take through end game for the first time. As you can tell (or not), I'm quite new to GW2 and trying to find that one main profession to get good with. Currently, I'm trying to decide between the Elementalist and the Revenant. I am trying to find something that can be a staple in dungeons, open world, and can dabble into PVP and WvW.

For me, I am a support style player when it comes to MMORPGs (healer in FFIV), and seem to be able to play supports pretty well. Also, mostly solo and just group for different dungeons when I absolutely need to. Any insight and explanations would be very helpful. Also, got both expansions so can do either spec.

As a support oriented player myself, I would suggest focusing on making damage oriented and personal survival builds. You will most likely end up being disappointed going the support character route, as I have... However, do what you want to do and see for yourself.

@"InsaneQR.7412" said:Between the professions you mentioned take rev. If you wanna do raids. If you wanna do mainly fractals take ele.Ele is perfect for 5 man content but lacks support on 10 ppl.It also has good rezz cappabbilities with staff.Rev has overall better build quality with heal herold and is not as squishy.

The "best" support though is druid. Mainly because it can buff galore and has decent healing besides that. Its the go to support for raids.

And as a curveball: After you gained some experience with the game you can even try scourge support. Its basically the carry bot of Gw2. You can rezz 5 ppl simultaneously and freaking fast too.It gives good might and provides a lot if barrier. I normally dont support but scourge support is hilariously good with a totally whacked group.

Well, in my opinion: if someone goes down, the support/healer didn't do his job, which happens quite often on scourge (never ever seen a scourge support, where noone went Downstate, even if people were aware of all mechanics and didn't fail any)Also there's no burst heal on scourge, if you missed a barrier and/ or someone takes a huge junk of damage, you won't be able to heal him back fast, which isn't that big of a deal with Condi classes, but zerker classes loose 5% dmg then

@Nimon.7840 said:

@"InsaneQR.7412" said:Between the professions you mentioned take rev. If you wanna do raids. If you wanna do mainly fractals take ele.Ele is perfect for 5 man content but lacks support on 10 ppl.It also has good rezz cappabbilities with staff.Rev has overall better build quality with heal herold and is not as squishy.

Well, in my opinion: if someone goes down, the support/healer didn't do his job, which happens quite often on scourge (never ever seen a scourge support, where noone went Downstate, even if people were aware of all mechanics and didn't fail any)Also there's no burst heal on scourge, if you missed a barrier and/ or someone takes a huge junk of damage, you won't be able to heal him back fast, which isn't that big of a deal with Condi classes, but zerker classes loose 5% dmg then

Sure. But thats not my point. My point is its fun to use not best to use.In PUG groups for raids it can carry 10 ppl just because you can revive so many ppl at once. We ran T3 fractals with someone that hadnt enough AR and we did fine just because reviving was so easy.Its not that it prevents downstate like a normal healer, it just makes it a triviality which is fun to play with.And ofc you need to have more experience with the game to really be a good scourge support and its one of the more difficult to pilot supports out there.

Otherwise id say you are right with the sentence: When someone dies the healer failed.But scourge is not a healer, it just prevents dmg and revives.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I played ffxiv. I am just gonna let you know first (healer) in gw2 is unlike ff a concept that requires hardcore circumstances for it to be worth bringing. The game unlike ff doesnt que you up so that theres enough dps and healers and all that. So a party of all dps is a lot more likely to finish a dungeon up without it being an awful snooze fest. Soloing stuff can take forever.

So my suggestion is..just as you are investigating the healer potential do so for the dps potential and gameplay and wither youll like that as well.

My choice is renegade. Ele is cool too..but as a dpser...imo.

Archived