Questions for Renegade WvW/PvP players

Clownmug.8357

For those of you that regularly play Renegade in competitive modes, I'm wondering what is your preferred play style? What legends do you use? Are there any traits that you feel work best for Renegade? I've seen some people say Charged Mists works best, how do you guys that use it handle maintaining energy levels and fighting naturally at the same time?

I play condi renegade in WvW in zergs.

I run Jalis/Mallyx with charged mists to support stability and alacrity, while dealing decent damage. I know power is better i just like condi and force it work. The Slow spam is also nice.

I like to engage pushes with IR, sb5, sb4, and OfA depending on energy, swap into mallyx for charged mists and either roll EtD to keep Torment runes proc'ing or CtA if we dive on the tail of the enemy zerg. I try to stay in combat to keep my energy having the ability to refill to 100 before the next push. I rarely use vengful hammers (not great damage on a condi build) unless i've got energy to burn or i need to get into mallyx w/ charged mists.

@Ertrak.9506 said:I play condi renegade in WvW in zergs.

I run Jalis/Mallyx with charged mists to support stability and alacrity, while dealing decent damage. I know power is better i just like condi and force it work. The Slow spam is also nice.

I like to engage pushes with IR, sb5, sb4, and OfA depending on energy, swap into mallyx for charged mists and either roll EtD to keep Torment runes proc'ing or CtA if we dive on the tail of the enemy zerg. I try to stay in combat to keep my energy having the ability to refill to 100 before the next push. I rarely use vengful hammers (not great damage on a condi build) unless i've got energy to burn or i need to get into mallyx w/ charged mists.

Thanks, this is a great response. I don't think most players would expect Renegade to contribute a lot in zergs, but the way you describe it sounds pretty good. Charged Mists probably works a lot better in large scale fights than I expected.

I either play condi renegade or play a power one with some concentration to buff up party's might. I roam with condi one so I can say that it works really cool if you do not touch the kalla legend itself. Mallyx + shiro or mallyx + jalis works cool but there will be a huge patch so maybe that will change.

Shortbow power build is a little problematic as it demands too much energy for too little dmg, and some skills are really clunky to use. But combined with shiro i can kite or bug the hell out of people :) If you are playing spvp I think kalla works ok with jalis (with some healingpower and toughness ofc) as a bunker. Aoe stun + life steal is really cool in spvp. Sadly any decent player can kick your too too before you can say "renegade" :)

@"alain.1659" said:I either play condi renegade or play a power one with some concentration to buff up party's might. I roam with condi one so I can say that it works really cool if you do not touch the kalla legend itself. Mallyx + shiro or mallyx + jalis works cool but there will be a huge patch so maybe that will change.

Interesting, my roaming build is hybrid based so using Kalla actually works pretty well. Though once the big patch drops, Mallyx might be better for me too. No more Rampant Vex for Icerazor and Darkrazor to proc.

Shortbow power build is a little problematic as it demands too much energy for too little dmg, and some skills are really clunky to use. But combined with shiro i can kite or bug the hell out of people :) If you are playing spvp I think kalla works ok with jalis (with some healingpower and toughness ofc) as a bunker. Aoe stun + life steal is really cool in spvp. Sadly any decent player can kick your too too before you can say "renegade" :)

Yeah, using shortbow while kiting with Shiro is pretty good. The big patch might kill that with the 40 energy Riposting Shadows though.

I play in pvp using demo and speed rune, basically like herald but more teamfight oriented. Use kalla shiro, s/s staff, deva, invo and kalla. Kalla daze and the multihit utility synergy with focused siphoning and demo amulet plus protection from all for one makes you can even duel power classes, but disengage from condi class. Your escape/chase potential are good too with rapid flow and speed rune+ shiro. Just lots of kiting and conserve energy, and know where to place kalla skills because they cannot be placed if you have no LoS and no port spot. Sorry if there's bad english.

@Valkan.6514 said:I play in pvp using demo and speed rune, basically like herald but more teamfight oriented. Use kalla shiro, s/s staff, deva, invo and kalla. Kalla daze and the multihit utility synergy with focused siphoning and demo amulet plus protection from all for one makes you can even duel power classes, but disengage from condi class. Your escape/chase potential are good too with rapid flow and speed rune+ shiro. Just lots of kiting and conserve energy, and know where to place kalla skills because they cannot be placed if you have no LoS and no port spot. Sorry if there's bad english.

Sounds like your build would be fun to try, I'd never considered using speed runes before. The battle scars change in the upcoming patch could make the Kalla skills even stronger for this.

Renegade is pretty good as an on point control in PvP.

Just go Demolishers and sit on point, using Staff/ Sword/Sword.

Alot of the summons work very well as danger zones for yur enemy, so melee builds will have a hard time pushing onto the CP.

Yur gonna be running Jalis/Kalla and using yur Summons as area control.

I think the optimal trait choice is Retribution/Invocation/Renegade

If yu want more damage, swap out Retribution for Devastation.

In fact the new Battle Scars Grandmaster will have high synergy with Icerazor's Ire, giving one Battle Scars stack per Vuln applied.

@FrownyClown.8402 said:Charged mists is pretty important imo. You can always ensure you are below 10 by using upkeep skills.

It seems like a lot of times by doing this it just makes me wait 2-3 extra seconds before legend swapping though.

Kalla ult is pretty strong with mad king runes.

I've heard that's a fun combo but I think there are better options (at least for wvw), like fireworks or pack runes which work well with the un-nerfed Incensed Response.

My advice is look at the minor tier skills that involve gaining kallas fervor and build around that.

I was just wondering how other people play. I've been playing various Renegade builds for years, lol.

@Yasai.3549 said:Renegade is pretty good as an on point control in PvP.

Just go Demolishers and sit on point, using Staff/ Sword/Sword.

Alot of the summons work very well as danger zones for yur enemy, so melee builds will have a hard time pushing onto the CP.

Yur gonna be running Jalis/Kalla and using yur Summons as area control.

I think the optimal trait choice is Retribution/Invocation/Renegade

If yu want more damage, swap out Retribution for Devastation.

In fact the new Battle Scars Grandmaster will have high synergy with Icerazor's Ire, giving one Battle Scars stack per Vuln applied.

I only have experience in WvW but that build does sound pretty effective. That grandmaster trait will probably be a key trait for power Renegades if battle scars have decent damage and healing.