Introduce TDM as a permanent feature

Animism.7530

The scene of PVP is quite strange.

First up we have Stronghold, a mode that is seemingly rarely played or enjoyed, thus, most of us probably skip it which answers itself.

Conquest - a nice idea for a single gamemode, brought down by a lack of matchmaking and being able to make a premade team to actually play Ranked with any form of team tactics.Gold 3 above is full of toxic know-it-all flaming over tactical choices not aligning and tournaments are won by the minority of premade teams made up of top players.

Naturally introducing premade teams into ranked presents an obvious problem, though at least it may force a greater level of competition...I don't like that there are builds not fit for SoloQ due to the lottery nature of matchmaking and how a class may or may not pair with synergy.

For the short time that I played TDM whilst it was in the game, I really enjoyed it. It gave vibes of Guild Wars 1 PVP and being able to make interesting team builds.

we had TDM but everyone hated it and would complain that it just turned into a one sided snowball and was very unfun to play. thus it ended up being removed.

so you might think you want it, but to be honest courtyard (the TDM) was just a ball snowball fest. it wasn't very good, and I can see why people didn't like it. I didn't mind it myself, but I also usually queued in a party and was the one farming the other team. so a bit of bias there

TDM has basically no depth too. there are no rotations, no 1v1s, nothing like that. it's just ball up, and spam AoEs. it gets old pretty fast.

TLDR: you might think TDM is good, but when we had it it was bad and most people hated it

@choovanski.5462 said:we had TDM but everyone hated it and would complain that it just turned into a one sided snowball and was very unfun to play. thus it ended up being removed.

so you might think you want it, but to be honest courtyard (the TDM) was just a ball snowball fest. it wasn't very good, and I can see why people didn't like it. I didn't mind it myself, but I also usually queued in a party and was the one farming the other team. so a bit of bias there

TDM has basically no depth too. there are no rotations, no 1v1s, nothing like that. it's just ball up, and spam AoEs. it gets old pretty fast.

TLDR: you might think TDM is good, but when we had it it was bad and most people hated it

Some of the top fights in Conquest 5v5 can go on for a long time. It is the same in TDM and isn't really distinguishably different.The thing it does promote however is a team build for a 5v5 fight, and understanding/testing those builds.

We have Stronghold, why not TDM on that basis?

@Animism.7530 said:

@choovanski.5462 said:we had TDM but everyone hated it and would complain that it just turned into a one sided snowball and was very unfun to play. thus it ended up being removed.

Some of the top fights in Conquest 5v5 can go on for a long time. It is the same in TDM and isn't really distinguishably different.The thing it does promote however is a team build for a 5v5 fight, and understanding/testing those builds.

I mean, I already told you why TDM was removed... it wasn't well liked.

if your argument is we have stronghold, which no one likes and is hardly played- so why not also have TDM that people didn't like so much they got it removed. then yeah, sure add back TDM. we can have two extra gamemodes that no one likes.

I don't object to having TDM in the game, but it does seem a bit silly to re-add something that was removed because the community didn't like it. it mean maybe they would suddenly like it, but I'm not convinced.

TDM was very snowbally, and very unfun for team in the receiving side. it has basically no come back potential. you can't rotate to sides if the enemy team are beating you in teamfight like you can in conquest. in conquest a strong teamfight team can be beaten, the three point system makes the 5 person mid teamfight tactic pretty bad to be honest.

personally I would much rather 3v3 or 2v2 replaces stronghold as a permanent queue option if the devs have no desire to rework stronghold to be actually good. I don't think re-adding a gamemode that has already failed (TDM) is the move.

@choovanski.5462 said:

if your argument is we have stronghold, which no one likes and is hardly played- so why not also have TDM that people didn't like so much they got it removed. then yeah, sure add back TDM. we can have two extra gamemodes that no one likes.

I don't object to having TDM in the game, but it does seem a bit silly to re-add something that was removed because the community didn't like it. it mean maybe they would suddenly like it, but I'm not convinced.

TDM was very snowbally, and very unfun for team in the receiving side. it has basically no come back potential. you can't rotate to sides if the enemy team are beating you in teamfight like you can in conquest. in conquest a strong teamfight team can be beaten, the three point system makes the 5 person mid teamfight tactic pretty bad to be honest.

personally I would much rather 3v3 or 2v2 replaces stronghold as a permanent queue option if the devs have no desire to rework stronghold to be actually good. I don't think re-adding a gamemode that has already failed (TDM) is the move.

I would also like 3v3/2v2/TDM. Realistically, anything that isn't solely Conquest being played.

I don't agree that conquest is much better by having the 3-point system. A side-noder plus a strong 4-man team build annihilates every match. There is no competition when more than half the enemy team are constantly on respawn and movement between only two nodes is so easy (and all that's required).

If a team was likely to get 'snowballed' in TDM, it would likely occur in Conquest also.

@Animism.7530 said:

I would also like 3v3/2v2/TDM. Realistically, anything that isn't solely Conquest being played.

I don't agree that conquest is much better by having the 3-point system. A side-noder plus a strong 4-man team build annihilates every match. There is no competition when more than half the enemy team are constantly on respawn and movement between only two nodes is so easy (and all that's required).

If a team was likely to get 'snowballed' in TDM, it would likely occur in Conquest also.

yeah, but in conquest you can play sides and win if your teamfight is weak. if you wipe in TDM people just afk at spawn. your only option is to go back out and teamfight and get farmed again.

if you think conquest can get one sided TDM, is much much worse. it's also incredibly hard to carry as 1v1 is no longer important there. it really is luck of the draw with queue. like, getting a thief is basically 4v5 because it's a trash class for 5v5.

3v3 and 2v2 as the exist in the game are much more fun, and the community actually likes and plays them. unlike stronghold, which is abandoned, and unlike courtyard (TDM) which the community hated so much they got it removed.

I know TDM can seem really fun and good if you actually never played it, but if you were around in the day when we actually had TDM you'd know the reality was very different. it's not like 2v2 and 3v3 that the community enjoy and want to have all year round, not just off season. people hated TDM.

basically, unless you were actually there when we had TDM you can't know what it was actually like. it was bad and people didn't like it.

I'm happy to stand outside of spawn in a queued team and cc lock and farm the players from the enemy team until I hit max points and win. however, I don't think a lot of people want to be on the other side of that, something history supports.

TLDR: you think TDM would be good because you never played it, but it was pretty bad

look, I just searched on YouTube for courtyard and this is one of the few things that came up

watching that, I can't say I miss it at all

@choovanski.5462 said:

yeah, but in conquest you can play sides and win if your teamfight is weak. if you wipe in TDM people just afk at spawn. your only option is to go back out and teamfight and get farmed again.

if you think conquest can get one sided TDM, is much much worse. it's also incredibly hard to carry as 1v1 is no longer important there. it really is luck of the draw with queue. like, getting a thief is basically 4v5 because it's a trash class for 5v5.

3v3 and 2v2 as the exist in the game are much more fun, and the community actually likes and plays them. unlike stronghold, which is abandoned, and unlike courtyard (TDM) which the community hated so much they got it removed.

I know TDM can seem really fun and good if you actually never played it, but if you were around in the day when we actually had TDM you'd know the reality was very different. it's not like 2v2 and 3v3 that the community enjoy and want to have all year round, not just off season. people hated TDM.

basically, unless you were actually there when we had TDM you can't know what it was actually like. it was bad and people didn't like it.

I'm happy to stand outside of spawn in a queued team and cc lock and farm the players from the enemy team until I hit max points and win. however, I don't think a lot of people want to be on the other side of that, something history supports.

TLDR: you think TDM would be good because you never played it, but it was pretty bad

look, I just searched on YouTube for courtyard and this is one of the few things that came up
watching that, I can't say I miss it at all

In fairness - thief is obviously not good in a team fight and the video you linked is from the perspective of a player using a thief.

Your description of what happens in TDM spawn-locking the opponent is often what can happen in Conquest. It's just a more delayed process (or irrelevant) since you don't need to in order to win...

FYI I did play TDM. Also the lottery of matchmaking applies to Conquest the same as it does TDM. Having a thief isn't much of a boon.