Let's talk about Mallyx.

Yasai.3549

Mallyx is the designated Condition core legend which players have access to on base Revenant.

Mallyx can also be loosely tied to Corruptions Traitline as that Traitline is enabled by alot of Mallyx's mechanics. (Resistance, Legendary Demon Skills)

Now I wanna talk about some of his utilities in relation to the traitline.

We used to have a Master Trait called Bolstered Anguish which gave Rev a nice 3% condition damage bonus for each condition they are currently affected by.This synergizes directly to how the stance has plenty of Resistance granted.

Now this trait has been removed, I don't see why is healing skill, Empowering Misery, shouldn't now work like Consume conditions and eat the conditions affecting the Rev for bonus healing.This is also a more accurate depiction of Mallyx's Consume Torment skill from GW1.https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Consume_Torment

It will even synergize better for tanky support style players to first use Pain Absorption and then consume these conditions for a heal.

Here's more to think about :

Unyielding Anguish in GW1 revived mobs.https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Unyielding_AnguishWhat we have is a very very clunky leap which leaves a Torment/Chill field.

I think the skill doesn't have much of a place or a use for Mallyx, other than to drop it on a stationary target, but I believe there can be ways to make this implementation better.TLDRHere are some suggestions for Mallyx skills and some traits

Empowering Misery : Consumes conditions and heals bonus amount per condition consumed

Unyielding Anguish : changed to a trait, replaces Spontaneous Destruction and moved to Grandmaster-60 second cooldown-Upon being downed, instead Rally and heal for a set amount for each Condition currently affecting the Revenant.(Idea is to give the player a reason to continue keeping Conditions through Resistance)

Shadow Smash (based on https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Shadow_Smash)

• 600 range AoE
  • Torment and Chill Field
  • Smoke Field
  • Teleports to the center of the fieldReplaces Unyielding Anguish on Utility bar

Please feel free to express yur opinions on this!

Look, Mallyx is a very weird thing in its current state. It's basically a mix of its Pre-Rework and Post-Rework skills.

Healing off of conditions without conuming them made a total sense.On HoT launch Mallyx's skills inflicted condis on the Revenant by design. Mallyx wasn't the Torment spammer we know now. It focused mainly on the condition management, and some of the skills worked completely different.

Unyielding Anguish - This one used to teleport enemies out of the zone on top of Chilling themEmbrace the Darkness - This one used to pulse conditions we are suffering from onto the enemies.

So basically what you wanted to do, was to use your Pain Absorption to get yourself as many condis as possible, then use Empowering Misery to enhance heal, once you heal you can use Embrace the Darkness to get rid of conditions on you.

Now, the old funcitonality of EtD was split between Pulsating Pestilence trait and Herald's Facet of Nature -> True Nature (demon) skills. So players are now left with the legend that works 50% in PvE due to Torment spam ad 50% PvP due to its pre-rework design.Unyielding Anguish is just that thing that spams Chill and Torment, that's it.And I hate the fact that such a cool working design was torn and thrown into random traits and skills not exactly assocciated with Mallyx Legend.

My suggestion would be to:Option 1:

• Make the rest of Mallyx's kit work together without having to use traits i order to "make it work like t used to" so it can still be a braindead Torment Spam.

Option 2:

• Reverse Mallyx's rework and let the legend actually work like it was designed to.

I am very biased on this case as in my opinion the HoT-launch Mallyx was one of the best designs we had in Guild Wars 2. Being remade for the sake of powercreep and dps Mallyx is now a mess without identity for me. We can see that it can deal tons of Torment but then we have Condition absorption that is just there.

EDIT: One more thing. We got a new Dark Aura added to the game and there is virtually no way Revenant can use it since 2 of our skills that "leap" us aren't actually Leap Finishers, so yeah. I think Mallyx could really work around Dark Aura and thus wouldn't need to be a Torment spammer without proper utilites that do something rather than 1: Spam Chill+Torment, 2: Spam Confusion, 3: Spam Resistance, 4: Spam more Torment.

I am actually pretty sure (I hope that I'm wrong) that Mallyx is going to be left in its current state as it "works as intended and there are more important things than professions".

• I would love the ability to turn into an unkillable monster when high on condis. This would be cool!

@"DonArkanio.6419" said:Look, Mallyx is a very weird thing in its current state. It's basically a mix of its Pre-Rework and Post-Rework skills.

Healing off of conditions without conuming them made a total sense.On HoT launch Mallyx's skills inflicted condis on the Revenant by design. Mallyx wasn't the Torment spammer we know now. It focused mainly on the condition management, and some of the skills worked completely different.

Unyielding Anguish - This one used to teleport enemies out of the zone on top of Chilling themEmbrace the Darkness - This one used to pulse conditions we are suffering from onto the enemies.

So basically what you wanted to do, was to use your Pain Absorption to get yourself as many condis as possible, then use Empowering Misery to enhance heal, once you heal you can use Embrace the Darkness to get rid of conditions on you.

Now, the old funcitonality of EtD was split between Pulsating Pestilence trait and Herald's Facet of Nature -> True Nature (demon) skills. So players are now left with the legend that works 50% in PvE due to Torment spam ad 50% PvP due to its pre-rework design.Unyielding Anguish is just that thing that spams Chill and Torment, that's it.And I hate the fact that such a cool working design was torn and thrown into random traits and skills not exactly assocciated with Mallyx Legend.

• Make the rest of Mallyx's kit work together without having to use traits i order to "make it work like t used to" so it can still be a braindead Torment Spam.

Option 2:

• Reverse Mallyx's rework and let the legend actually work like it was designed to.

I am very biased on this case as in my opinion the HoT-launch Mallyx was one of the best designs we had in Guild Wars 2. Being remade for the sake of powercreep and dps Mallyx is now a mess without identity for me. We can see that it can deal tons of Torment but then we have Condition absorption that is just there.

EDIT: One more thing. We got a new Dark Aura added to the game and there is virtually no way Revenant can use it since 2 of our skills that "leap" us aren't actually Leap Finishers, so yeah. I think Mallyx could really work around Dark Aura and thus wouldn't need to be a Torment spammer without proper utilites that do something rather than 1: Spam Chill+Torment, 2: Spam Confusion, 3: Spam Resistance, 4: Spam more Torment.

I am actually pretty sure (I hope that I'm wrong) that Mallyx is going to be left in its current state as it "works as intended and there are more important things than professions".

• I would love the ability to turn into an unkillable monster when high on condis. This would be cool!
  • I feel that his absorption skill could use a rework regardless of him either being brought back from the good ol'days or left as is. Currently it simply pulls conditions off allies and I feel like regardless of his current state it should pull them off allies but then redirect them at the caster. Or at least the closest enemy too the revenant and I want the boon corruption to do more than just turn it into confusion. (Maybe depending on Boon you get a specific condi?)
  • Embrace the darkness needs a visual overhaul as well as a change, Its a cool concept but I feel it could be cooler and it should pulsate more than just torment. Burning, poison, bleeding ect should all come with that.
  • Mace could use some love, its slow and clunky but feels soo good. But in raids most of the time you just auto attack with it and pump out torment and poison, the other skills have large energy expense and alot of the time aren't worth using. (PvP you're just too damn slow.)
  • Needs a more demonic feel, since we are channeling one of Abbadons demons.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@"DonArkanio.6419" said:Look, Mallyx is a very weird thing in its current state. It's basically a mix of its Pre-Rework and Post-Rework skills.

Unyielding Anguish
- This one used to teleport enemies out of the zone on top of Chilling them
Embrace the Darkness
- This one used to pulse conditions we are suffering from onto the enemies.

Now, the old funcitonality of EtD was split between
Pulsating Pestilence
trait and Herald's
Facet of Nature
->
True Nature (demon)
skills. So players are now left with the legend that works 50% in PvE due to Torment spam ad 50% PvP due to its pre-rework design.Unyielding Anguish is just that thing that spams Chill and Torment, that's it.And I hate the fact that such a cool working design was torn and thrown into random traits and skills not exactly assocciated with Mallyx Legend.

Option 2:

• I feel that his absorption skill could use a rework regardless of him either being brought back from the good ol'days or left as is. Currently it simply pulls conditions off allies and I feel like regardless of his current state it should pull them off allies but then redirect them at the caster. Or at least the closest enemy too the revenant and I want the boon corruption to do more than just turn it into confusion. (Maybe depending on Boon you get a specific condi?)
  • Embrace the darkness needs a visual overhaul as well as a change, Its a cool concept but I feel it could be cooler and it should pulsate more than just torment. Burning, poison, bleeding ect should all come with that.
  • Mace could use some love, its slow and clunky but feels soo good. But in raids most of the time you just auto attack with it and pump out torment and poison, the other skills have large energy expense and alot of the time aren't worth using. (PvP you're just too kitten slow.)

This kinda sounds like a straight powercreep. I would also love Mallyx to be more of a monster but this isn't the way of fixing issues. Giving skills free condis and stuff isn't healthy for the game. Through the years weapon skills got powercrept, Mace didn't use to apply Weakness, had less Torment stacks, and Temporal Rift Axe #5 is a great example of adding a bunch of conditions in order to "fix" the skill.

And regarding Pain Absorption. This would be too much, it already is a Stunbreak + Resistance + Condi Pull. It didn't have a Stunbreak for a long time. Reversing Mallyx to Pre-rework would allow you to transfer your condis through EtD.

It would be best if 1 skill did 1 thing. Mirage's skills show the problems that are caused by 1 skill doing 3 things at the same time. It's not healthy.ANet needs to literally cleanse the skills of all additional bonus evades, 1s stabilities, additional 0.5s of Burn effects.

I agree on the EtD however. I think this skill should be the main point of Mallyx. Perhaps a transformation? It just feels visually underwhelming and people want to delete the animation so there's nothing demonic left there.

Can we just (generally) leave Mallyx alone? It's already meta in PvE and isn't too far off being strong enough to work well in PvP/WvW. It absolutely does not need a huge rework of any kind. Its biggest issue for PvP/WvW is that Scourge does its job better (from range) most of the time and it also doesn't have enough sustain/mobility to compete with Shiro or Glint for a legend spot. These are issues that are easily fixable through small buffs to Mallyx's kit. Also all the might nerfs for pvp targeted at power builds have indirectly hurt condi revs, so Corruption should get a might generation trait to fill the gap that now exists for condi rev. Would like to see it either replace Opportune Extraction or be tacked onto it.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

@DonArkanio.6419 said:Look, Mallyx is a very weird thing in its current state. It's basically a mix of its Pre-Rework and Post-Rework skills.

Unyielding Anguish
- This one used to teleport enemies out of the zone on top of Chilling them
Embrace the Darkness
- This one used to pulse conditions we are suffering from onto the enemies.

Now, the old funcitonality of EtD was split between
Pulsating Pestilence
trait and Herald's
Facet of Nature
->
True Nature (demon)
skills. So players are now left with the legend that works 50% in PvE due to Torment spam ad 50% PvP due to its pre-rework design.Unyielding Anguish is just that thing that spams Chill and Torment, that's it.And I hate the fact that such a cool working design was torn and thrown into random traits and skills not exactly assocciated with Mallyx Legend.

Option 2:

• Mace could use some love, its slow and clunky but feels soo good. But in raids most of the time you just auto attack with it and pump out torment and poison, the other skills have large energy expense and alot of the time aren't worth using. (PvP you're just too kitten slow.)

This kinda sounds like a straight powercreep. I would also love Mallyx to be more of a monster but this isn't the way of fixing issues. Giving skills free condis and stuff isn't healthy for the game. Through the years weapon skills got powercrept, Mace didn't use to apply Weakness, had less Torment stacks, and Temporal Rift Axe #5 is a great example of adding a bunch of conditions in order to "fix" the skill.

And regarding Pain Absorption. This would be too much, it already is a Stunbreak + Resistance + Condi Pull. It didn't have a Stunbreak for a long time. Reversing Mallyx to Pre-rework would allow you to transfer your condis through EtD.

It would be best if 1 skill did 1 thing. Mirage's skills show the problems that are caused by 1 skill doing 3 things at the same time. It's not healthy.ANet needs to literally cleanse the skills of all additional bonus evades, 1s stabilities, additional 0.5s of Burn effects.

I agree on the EtD however. I think this skill should be the main point of Mallyx. Perhaps a transformation? It just feels visually underwhelming and people want to delete the animation so there's nothing demonic left there.

Why not just make Embrace the darkness the passive that is just constantly going while in mallyx (The visual of it, so you're always all shadowy and covered in darkness. Perhaps traits could add pulsations where conditions are reflected or consumed ect.) Then change Embrace the darkness into something more impact-full and more visually impressive perhaps where the darkness expands and becomes more prominant with like energy swirling around you. Not only would this be a huge tell that the rev was in mallyx stance but it would also mean for it being so prominant that it would have a big trade off. (think like a bubble for guardian shield, or spellbreaker bubble.) This huge bubble could basically be a mass corruptive field which corrupts all boons and applies conditions at random? The trade off is while channeling it you can't attack but can't be cc'd for the duration making it so that the way to play around it is to get out and stay away until he expends the duration?> @LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

Can we just (generally) leave Mallyx alone? It's already meta in PvE and isn't too far off being strong enough to work well in PvP/WvW. It absolutely does not need a huge rework of any kind. Its biggest issue for PvP/WvW is that Scourge does its job better (from range) most of the time and it also doesn't have enough sustain/mobility to compete with Shiro or Glint for a legend spot. These are issues that are easily fixable through small buffs to Mallyx's kit. Also all the might nerfs for pvp targeted at power builds have indirectly hurt condi revs, so Corruption should get a might generation trait to fill the gap that now exists for condi rev. Would like to see it either replace Opportune Extraction or be tacked onto it.

I mean I'd rather not as he is one of the few if not the only real evil or dark legends we have and he vastly under-preforms outside of raids. And his performance in raids is limited to being paired with Kalla; Most of the time everyone isn't using but one or two of his skills which is basically proc Embrace the darkness, and auto attack spam the target. Infact I believe if we really want to go into it Power Renegade is better for almost all but a few fights; So no on his own he doesn't stand up well and is among the few legends who alone really doesn't feel meaty. Jalis being the other as each should be strong and capable within their own Merritt so people can if they choose focus and double down on those legends with another supplementing and complimenting the one people want to focus on. (If you choose too.)

• Jalis should be able to tank, he should be capable of filling that role because its easy to see that is the role he was semi-designed around. He should be able to take a beating and be a bruiser right now he doesn't feel so good to play outside of open world (Where-everything can work.)
  • Mallyx should be more impactful for a condition Dps and shouldn't be hindered to being hand-held by elite specs, a ranged condition weapon set in core would help so he could have something else to go to without the need of Kalla.
  • Kalla herself is boring, lack luster and really just feels tact on to be a raid spec exclusively but is horrid in any other game mode. Raids and open world is really where she shines, but take her anywhere else and she is kinda meh. (Doesn't help other classes can do what revenant does better as a whole, which means we still have the same issue its just not as apparant.)

Wonder if it would be interesting if Mallyx on swap is automatically put into EtD, but instead of upkeeping, it will consume 1 stack of Condition per second on the player and healing a small amount.

(Meaning if yu have 20 stacks of Bleeding, it will eat 1 Bleed per second)

If EtD runs out of Conditions to eat, it will start eating health at 100 health per second.

To continue feeding EtD, players will use Pain Absorption to draw in conditions to consume, and grant themselves Resistance to safely juggle the Conditions.

Empowering Misery will then work simply to be a burst emergency heal if the Conditions start to overwhelm the player.

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:I mean I'd rather not as he is one of the few if not the only real evil or dark legends we have and he vastly under-preforms outside of raids. And his performance in raids is limited to being paired with Kalla; Most of the time everyone isn't using but one or two of his skills which is basically proc Embrace the darkness, and auto attack spam the target. Infact I believe if we really want to go into it Power Renegade is better for almost all but a few fights; So no on his own he doesn't stand up well and is among the few legends who alone really doesn't feel meaty. Jalis being the other as each should be strong and capable within their own Merritt so people can if they choose focus and double down on those legends with another supplementing and complimenting the one people want to focus on. (If you choose too.)

• Jalis should be able to tank, he should be capable of filling that role because its easy to see that is the role he was semi-designed around. He should be able to take a beating and be a bruiser right now he doesn't feel so good to play outside of open world (Where-everything can work.)
  • Mallyx should be more impactful for a condition Dps and shouldn't be hindered to being hand-held by elite specs, a ranged condition weapon set in core would help so he could have something else to go to without the need of Kalla.
  • Kalla herself is boring, lack luster and really just feels tact on to be a raid spec exclusively but is horrid in any other game mode. Raids and open world is really where she shines, but take her anywhere else and she is kinda meh. (Doesn't help other classes can do what revenant does better as a whole, which means we still have the same issue its just not as apparant.)

This is somewhat factually incorrect though; Mallyx is the base of all revenant condi specs in PvE and is either paired with Kalla or Shiro for highest DPS potential (so certainly not only limited to being paired with Kalla). He performs extremely well in over 75% of the raids. Addtionally, Power Ren is only better most of the time if taken for the Alacrity, otherwise Condi Ren is generally superior or equivalent if you want high DPS. Furthermore the two fill different roles so the comparison isn't 1 to 1 unless you're directly comparing Full DPS Power Ren vs Condi DPS Ren. As for rotation, Mallyx only has three damaging abilities and 2 of those are used in the current highest dps rotation (Unyielding Anguish x2 and Embrace the Darkness). The rotation is certainly not just spam UA, turn EtD on and autoattack, either as it uses multiple weapon skills in conjunction with proper timing to achieve highest dps. Banish Enchantment is used/can be used on bosses that get boons, which is helpful, and Pain Absorption can be a lifesaver on bosses with condis as well. I'm a bit confused by the critique of Mallyx not being enough of a damage source; he's meant to be a source of utility (like all legends) and not THE full source of DPS by himself since Mallyx is only about 25% of a Revenant's full kit to begin with.

Outside of raids he's useful for Boon Strip in Fractals (No Pain, No Gain) on Diviner Ren. Obviously he's going to struggle in Fractals since their fundamental design makes condi specs mediocre regardless of what condi spec it is; no amount of rework for mallyx will change this unless they super overbuff him, which won't happen. It's worth noting he's great in Open World, though, and he fairs as well as (or better than) any of the power specs in a lot of situations. As mentioned in WvW/PvP he struggles, but it's a combination of Scourge/Necro doing his job better from range and also the lack of sustain/mobility (and somewhat damage) that keeps him back in PvP/WvW. His roaming game in WvW (Herald), though, is actually not bad and if he's overbuffed could easily become on par (or even better than) top tier roamers.

Ideally I'd like to see Mallyx be as strong an option as Shiro or Glint for pvp and I don't think a full rework is really necessary to do that. He just needs some buffs in certain places to make him a worthwhile choice (in Pvp/WvW) when compared with those two options. I also don't think that legends should exist, necessarily, as a "focus for people to choose and double down on" since Revenant is based around the legend swap mechanic and thus the focus should always be on creating a healthy balance between the two legends for the build that the person is creating.

@Yasai.3549 said:Wonder if it would be interesting if Mallyx on swap is automatically put into EtD, but instead of upkeeping, it will consume 1 stack of Condition per second on the player and healing a small amount.

(Meaning if yu have 20 stacks of Bleeding, it will eat 1 Bleed per second)

If EtD runs out of Conditions to eat, it will start eating health at 100 health per second.

To continue feeding EtD, players will use Pain Absorption to draw in conditions to consume, and grant themselves Resistance to safely juggle the Conditions.

Empowering Misery will then work simply to be a burst emergency heal if the Conditions start to overwhelm the player.

EtD idea is actually great, I'll try to think about it and maybe make a thread as it would be awesome to have that condi load up to make you more powerful.

As for Mallyx being fine, Lucian mentions 3 situations in which Mallyx is somewhat useful when not outclassed. It feels very forced for me as I really don't see people inviting Revenant with Mallyx exclusively for boonstrip.In raids it's outclassed by Alacrity Renegade, in PvP condi build doesn't use Mallyx, but Glint and Shiro, so yeah.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:As for Mallyx being fine, Lucian mentions 3 situations in which Mallyx is somewhat useful when not outclassed. It feels very forced for me as I really don't see people inviting Revenant with Mallyx exclusively for boonstrip.In raids it's outclassed by Alacrity Renegade, in PvP condi build doesn't use Mallyx, but Glint and Shiro, so yeah.

It’s not that people are inviting Revenant specifically for boonstrip, it’s that Alacrigade can swap out Kalla or Shiro for Mallyx if Boon strip is needed. I do this all the time in fractals and it’s super helpful.

As for being outclassed by Alacrigade, as mentioned it’s not a 1 to 1 comparison. They fill completely different roles. That’d be like saying Mirage is bad because Chronomancer Support is meta on more raid bosses. It’s 100% fine to have both an Alacrigade and Condi Ren(s) in your squad. And since we’re talking about mallyx specifically as I mentioned above he can be teched into Alacrigade builds if needed for boon strip.

And ofc Mallyx isn’t used in pvp for our one condi build, which is why I’ve mentioned it needs to be able to compete with Glint/Shiro more effectively since those two legends outclass it in sustain, mobility and utility

@"LucianTheAngelic.7054" said:Ideally I'd like to see Mallyx be as strong an option as Shiro or Glint for pvp and I don't think a full rework is really necessary to do that. He just needs some buffs in certain places to make him a worthwhile choice (in Pvp/WvW) when compared with those two options. I also don't think that legends should exist, necessarily, as a "focus for people to choose and double down on" since Revenant is based around the legend swap mechanic and thus the focus should always be on creating a healthy balance between the two legends for the build that the person is creating.

Mallyx not being used in PvP is less of a mallyx problem and more of a scourge/boonstirp and insane cleanse spam problem. Mallyx would be (can be) pretty effective in the point-control game if scourges didn't just dunk on that area of the game so hard and FB support didn't have such an absurd AoE cleanse game. It's a similar predicament to how scourges outclassed dragonhunters and put them straight out of the meta--but even worse cuz of the aforementioned cleanse spam and mallyx being condi based... It's the same reason almost every condi spec is pretty garbo these days. While I don't necessarily think those classes should be nerfed, I don't think the solution is to power creep mallyx either... So I don't really have anything useful, I don't even know why I left this comment. =/

@narcx.3570 said:

@"LucianTheAngelic.7054" said:Ideally I'd like to see Mallyx be as strong an option as Shiro or Glint for pvp and I don't think a full rework is really necessary to do that. He just needs some buffs in certain places to make him a worthwhile choice (in Pvp/WvW) when compared with those two options. I also don't think that legends should exist, necessarily, as a "focus for people to choose and double down on" since Revenant is based around the legend swap mechanic and thus the focus should always be on creating a healthy balance between the two legends for the build that the person is creating.

Mallyx not being used in PvP is less of a mallyx problem and more of a scourge/boonstirp and insane cleanse spam problem. Mallyx would be (can be) pretty effective in the point-control game if scourges didn't just dunk on that area of the game so hard and FB support didn't have such an absurd AoE cleanse game. It's a similar predicament to how scourges outclassed dragonhunters and put them straight out of the meta--but even worse cuz of the aforementioned cleanse spam and mallyx being condi based... It's the same reason almost every condi spec is pretty garbo these days. While I don't necessarily think those classes should be nerfed, I don't think the solution is to power creep mallyx either... So I don't really have anything useful, I don't even know why I left this comment. =/

Oh certainly it's definitely a "Scourge/Necro took our jerrbbsss" thing. If Necro just straight up didn't exist Mallyx/Condi Rev would be in a much better place (and doubly so if FB and mass cleanse didn't exist), but I think it's worth mentioning that Condi Rev/Mallyx hasn't been meta since like Season 1 ranked PvP (maybe season 2? Can't remember precisely) so it clearly has some issues that has prevented it from being top tier even back in the day when only Reaper/Core Necro existed. Even when Abyssal Chill was giving Mallyx's Unyielding Anguish 3 stacks of torment per pulse, it still wasn't a meta option. I don't think Mallyx is bad persay, just in need of a tune up. I'd like "the best" condi rev build to go back to being Mallyx/X instead of Shiro/Glint. Condi Rev in general needs a bit of help, but if just Corruption or other aspects of Condi Rev are buffed then it's just going to continue helping the Shiro/Glint build overshadow our main condi legend. I also don't think he needs a ton of power creep either, but definitely something to set him apart and make him a legitimate option for condi builds at the highest tier of play, since he hasn't really been a solid choice since Season 1.

Actually the reason Mallyx isn't used in PvP is because Conditions in general aren't really good anymore.

While Scourges literally vomit Corruptions and Boonrips, Mallyx does so without the same frequency and being limited by resource.

Mallyx could potentially be a deadly Torment pulsing cancerlord in theory, but they are severely held back again by resource limitation and Revenant Mechanics in general.

The reason why Shiro and Offhand Sword is still clinging to the meta for dear life is because Revenant spells while limited are very powerful and provide opportunities.

Small windows of opportunities created by player is capitalized the best by bursty, fast, painful attacks.

Condition damage on the other hand needs to be pressured on and sustained to overwhelm a target, and Revenant doesn't have that sort of playstyle in mind, nor does it have a second Condition based Legend to swap into. (I'm not counting Kalla because Kalla doesn't exclusively focus on Condition Damage like Mallyx does)

Anyone can tell yu straight that camping a Legend is bad Revenant etiquette, and being the only Condition based Legend and Conditions needing sustained application, all build up to make Mallyx very weak compared to other Legends.

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:Ideally I'd like to see Mallyx be as strong an option as Shiro or Glint for pvp and I don't think a full rework is really necessary to do that. He just needs some buffs in certain places to make him a worthwhile choice (in Pvp/WvW) when compared with those two options. I also don't think that legends should exist, necessarily, as a "focus for people to choose and double down on" since Revenant is based around the legend swap mechanic and thus the focus should always be on creating a healthy balance between the two legends for the build that the person is creating.

Oh certainly it's definitely a "Scourge/Necro took our jerrbbsss" thing. If Necro just straight up didn't exist Mallyx/Condi Rev would be in a much better place (and doubly so if FB and mass cleanse didn't exist), but I think it's worth mentioning that Condi Rev/Mallyx hasn't been meta since like Season 1 ranked PvP (maybe season 2? Can't remember precisely) so it clearly has some issues that has prevented it from being top tier even back in the day when only Reaper/Core Necro existed. Even when Abyssal Chill was giving Mallyx's Unyielding Anguish 3 stacks of torment per pulse, it still wasn't a meta option. I don't think Mallyx is
bad
persay, just in need of a tune up. I'd like "the best" condi rev build to go back to being Mallyx/X instead of Shiro/Glint. Condi Rev in general needs a bit of help, but if just Corruption or other aspects of Condi Rev are buffed then it's just going to continue helping the Shiro/Glint build overshadow our main condi legend. I also don't think he needs a ton of power creep either, but definitely something to set him apart and make him a legitimate option for condi builds at the highest tier of play, since he hasn't really been a solid choice since Season 1.

That is the general problem of Revenant (except Shiro part). Since our utilites are locked to legends we can have only 1 playstyle at a time, which is a good thing, but it make the class suffer.I know Mallyx is fine in many scenarios. I think we can agree that it's an awesome legend. But for me, it lost its flavor due to rework, it's been split 50% PvE and PvP and I hate it. Mallyx was such an original idea when it came out, then ANet decided to rework it into Torment Field. With PoF came Scourge and FB - I don't know who came up with this idea, but to me both of these specs (and Holo) seem like a Developer's Wet Dream. Rest of the professions suffer due to that.