VSync question

Hey I have some question about vsync.

I have 60 Hz monitor and in some old locations I have 250-450 FPS. In fight or with more people it drops to 70-160. In new locations I have 60-130. Inside zergs it drops to 28-60.

When I have 450 fps in old location without other players my gpu seems use all its power, so with 60 Hz monitor it is not efficient to use it with uncapped fps? Or I am wrong?

If I need to lock fps what is the right option:

1. Enable vsync in nvidia driver
  2. Enable vsync in nvidia driver with capped at 60 fps option ingame setting
  3. vsync in driver + cap 60 + vsync option ingame

Without vsync I see tearings when capped at 60 fps ingame option.

It has little use to render more FPS than your monitor can display. The only advantage is a bit less input lag because the mouse handling is just a tad more direct with like 200fps compared to 60.

There may be an option to use adaptive VSync. Then VSync is enabled when you have more FPS then your monitor can display but it is disabled when FPS drops below in your case 60. This is usually the best compromise as VSync may suffer performance when it is enabled and your game runs at lower FPS then your monitor.

1 hour ago, ruikarikun.9402 said:

If I need to lock fps what is the right option:

1. Enable vsync in nvidia driver
  2. Enable vsync in nvidia driver with capped at 60 fps option ingame setting
  3. vsync in driver + cap 60 + vsync option ingame

Without vsync I see tearings when capped at 60 fps ingame option.

It depends on your monitor and its support for adaptive sync assuming your GPU isn't to old.

Without adaptive sync it's usually best to enable vsync via the GW2 settings menu and run the game uncapped otherwise. That should get rid of the tearing. Just make sure you don't override these settings in the nVidia driver. If that somehow doesn't work for your hardware, you can always try to override the settings via the driver, but it's usually better to do it in-game for most game engines.

If your monitor supports adaptive sync (e.g. 48 - 60Hz) it can be a bit tricky with nVidia cards. You might have to enable a setting in your monitor's OSD first.

Since I never tried that combo in GW2 myself, I assume that it's usually best to disable vsync in the game settings and run uncapped, but force the framerate via the nVidia drivers. There should be an additional driver setting that let's you choose your desired framerate. If it doesn't work for your hardware without artifacts, you can always fall back to the static 60Hz method mentioned above.

3 hours ago, Sarajiel.5830 said:

If your monitor supports adaptive sync (e.g. 48 - 60Hz) it can be a bit tricky with nVidia cards. You might have to enable a setting in your monitor's OSD first.

Since I never tried that combo in GW2 myself, I assume that it's usually best to disable vsync in the game settings and run uncapped, but force the framerate via the nVidia drivers. There should be an additional driver setting that let's you choose your desired framerate. If it doesn't work for your hardware without artifacts, you can always fall back to the static 60Hz method mentioned above.

I do not know if my monitor supports it, I found it has no freesync/gsync.

What I found in driver program settings is "Max Frame Rate". I tested at 120 cap and I had vertical tearing during camera move, but I do not see tearing at 160 FPS cap. Is it ok to use such option in this way?

4 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

It has little use to render more FPS than your monitor can display. The only advantage is a bit less input lag because the mouse handling is just a tad more direct with like 200fps compared to 60.

When I teleport to Elon RIverlands and stay afk near teleports with 300-400 FPS MSI Afterburner shows my gpu eats almost max wattage. What do you think about "Max Frame Rate" and "Vertical Sync - Fast" in nvidia option?

15 hours ago, ruikarikun.9402 said:

When I teleport to Elon RIverlands and stay afk near teleports with 300-400 FPS MSI Afterburner shows my gpu eats almost max wattage. What do you think about "Max Frame Rate" and "Vertical Sync - Fast" in nvidia option?

I'm not familiar with the setting.

But it is normal that your GPU is power limited. It just means that it is using it's full capacity, which is expected at max FPS and that it is not overheating.

20 hours ago, Daredevil.2745 said:

just buy a 240 hz monitor with Gsync and enjoy games without all this stutter on 60 hz monitos

Yeah,thats prob not the answer Op is looking for but youre right. I got my Gsync monitor for a few months now and its so amazing never having to enable Vsync anymore and having no screen tears and smooth framepacing and not having the input lag that Vsync adds.

But  OP, i think the best way is to force Vsync through Nvcpl and use RTSS frame limiter.

Edited by Caedmon.6798

On 8/23/2021 at 12:24 AM, Daredevil.2745 said:

just buy a 240 hz monitor with Gsync and enjoy games without all this stutter on 60 hz monitos

You do not have stutters in zerg/meta? I do not believe.

And what it will give me? You think 350-450 fps is ok in Elon Riverlands with max gpu tdp 170w? So I will be still need to cap fps on any monitor.

Edited by ruikarikun.9402

15 hours ago, ruikarikun.9402 said:

You do not have stutters in zerg/meta? I do not believe.

And what it will give me? You think 350-450 fps is ok in Elon Riverlands with max gpu tdp 170w? So I will be still need to cap fps on any monitor.

Again....

The best way is to force Vsync through Nvcpl and use RTSS frame limiter.