Giving WvW a go - I have a few questions about build/class recommendations

myrek.9436

I have a stack of 80s: soulbeast, necro/reaper/scourge, thief/deadeye, revenant.

Which is the best for an average PvE player / new WvW player for roaming? Do you have any specific build recommendations?

For zerg? Scourge? Any specific builds recommended for this?

I know I should play whatever I like, but I'd also like to not die and spend all my time walking back to the battle. 😞

+1 roaming for a lb/gs soulbeast is probably the "easiest", just pewpew at max range on anything already engaged. But if you want to kill everything 1v1 you need to figure out yourself what works best because it varies wildly from player to player on all classes. What works for one wont work for another. 

For zerging a meta scourge is easiest, followed by rev. 

Check metabattle for basic builds and tune as needed.

Just now, Dawdler.8521 said:

Check metabattle for basic builds and tune as needed.

I've been testing their builds. The problem I'm having with meta battle is that they don't always explain them well. Example: I simply don't understand Scourges. Your big power is a minion that doesn't move? 

6 minutes ago, myrek.9436 said:

I've been testing their builds. The problem I'm having with meta battle is that they don't always explain them well. Example: I simply don't understand Scourges. Your big power is a minion that doesn't move? 

No, it's just another AoE. It's not hard to understand scourges - dump staff AoE when running on random in the squad, when the commander call bomb,  breach and spam every single skill you have by facerolling the keyboard. Like, literally. Sure you could go into the detailed technicals of playing a scourge like a pro at max effiecency , but that's the gist of it.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

No, it's just another AoE. It's not hard to understand scourges - dump staff AoE when running on random in the squad, when the commander call bomb,  breach and spam every single skill you have by facerolling the keyboard. Like, literally. Sure you could go into the detailed technicals of playing a scourge like a pro at max effiecency , but that's the gist of it.

As a no skill Scourge, can confirm all the AoE we can drop is a great stuperpower.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, myrek.9436 said:

I have a stack of 80s: soulbeast, necro/reaper/scourge, thief/deadeye, revenant.

Which is the best for an average PvE player / new WvW player for roaming? Do you have any specific build recommendations?

You can roam with any of those. Sic 'Em Soulbeast or Boonbeast are probably easiest in terms of a mix of ranged burst, mobility, and sustain. Be sure you practice de-targeting so you can use your movement skills.

However, Thief gives you more ways to juke enemies or secure stomps in outnumbered fights (which is why I personally prefer Deadeye over Rangers). And Rev and Necro do have the added benefit of being able to switch from roaming to zerging comps on one character, which is real nice if you're playing on a queued map.

22 hours ago, myrek.9436 said:

For zerg? Scourge? Any specific builds recommended for this?

Power Scourge and Hammer Herald are almost always in demand.

There's a bunch of ways you can build Scourge, but something like this should work fine as a starting point: https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/builds/necromancer/boonstrip-scourge-r68/ (I think I like Staff + Axe/Focus, personally; also, please note that this website's guidance on what special callouts the commander will use to tell you how to use each of your skills is… rather idiosyncratic.)

Hammer Herald has a very easy-to-use burst and you can cover your misplays with high movement speed and Infuse Light. If you want to reuse Berserker armor from PvE, just get a Marauder hammer and you should be at about 19k hp and real close to crit cap.