Gem store advice

700 gems, shared inventory slot is super helpful if you are consistently playing multiple characters.

800 gems, Copper fed salvage o magic. You are going to be swamped with blue and green gear in endgame. You’ll want to salvage it for mats, but even more for luck essences to increase your magic find. Having to constantly buy salvage kits for the hundreds of blues and greens you’ll be regularly salvaging is a big PitA. Buy one, stick it in your shared inventory slot, and get rid of that headache.

Beyond those, you’ll want to expand your mat storage if you’re going to craft at all. 250 is absurdly small compared to many endgame recipes. But that’s beyond your current 1600 budget.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

700 gems, shared inventory slot is super helpful if you are consistently playing multiple character.

800 gems, Copper fed salvage o magic. You are going to be swamped with blue and green gear in endgame. You’ll want to salvage it for mats, but even more for luck essences to increase your magic find. Having to constantly buy salvage kits for the hundreds of blues and greens you’ll be regularly salvaging is a big PitA. Buy one, stick it in your shared inventory slot, and get rid of that headache.

Beyond those, you’ll want to expand your mat storage if you’re going to craft at all. 250 is absurdly small compared to many endgame recipes. But that’s beyond your current 1600 budget.

How much more would you think I would need? 

I can always buy more gems if it's going to be that helpful you know what I mean. 

I'm all new to the end game aspects but I've been doing PoF quests and unlocking mounts etc.  Just been cruising with my 1 80.  So if something is super useful I'd be ok with spending some money to make it happen if it works for the long run.

18 minutes ago, PMoneyMobileRobot.4630 said:

How much more would you think I would need? 

I can always buy more gems if it's going to be that helpful you know what I mean. 

I'm all new to the end game aspects but I've been doing PoF quests and unlocking mounts etc.  Just been cruising with my 1 80.  So if something is super useful I'd be ok with spending some money to make it happen if it works for the long run.

None of it's strictly necessary, but there are plenty of quality of life gem store items that remove little irritations.

Material storage is 800 for each additional 250 you add. It's helpful if you'll be crafting or chasing legendaries. It might be worth waiting until you feel like you're running out of material storage before investing.

Another thing I keep thinking about getting are the unlimited harvesting tools, because it's annoying to constantly have to make sure I've got harvseting tools on hand. But in order for that to really work, as someone who plays many characters, I'd want three more shared inventory slots so all the characters could use them. That would be a big gem cost. I could buy harvesting tools for years and never break even on that cost. But... it might be worth it at some point.

The copper-fed salvage o matic and the shared inventory slot were definitely worth it to me. I got another shared slot when I bought PoF, so I've got the salvage o matic in one, and usually a lounge pass in the other. That way all characters can salvage the blues and greens, and they all have access to a home base from anywhere in the game.

Oh yeah, I guess that would be a thing, too. A lounge pass. I got mine as part of getting PoF. I know there's a lot of opinions out there about the best one, and I only know two of them, so I can't really weigh in on that. It is super useful to have that home base with crafting/trading post/bank all conveniently located a click away. It's probably the number one thing my kids, who don't have a lounge pass, express jealousy over in game.

Again, none of these things are necessary. But some are super helpful. I definitely don't want to talk you into buying a bunch of gem store stuff. I rarely do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

None of it's strictly necessary, but there are plenty of quality of life gem store items that remove little irritations.

Material storage is 800 for each additional 250 you add. It's helpful if you'll be crafting or chasing legendaries. It might be worth waiting until you feel like you're running out of material storage before investing.

Another thing I keep thinking about getting are the unlimited harvesting tools, because it's annoying to constantly have to make sure I've got harvseting tools on hand. But in order for that to really work, as someone who plays many characters, I'd want three more shared inventory slots so all the characters could use them. That would be a big gem cost. I could buy harvesting tools for years and never break even on that cost. But... it might be worth it at some point.

The copper-fed salvage o matic and the shared inventory slot were definitely worth it to me. I got another shared slot when I bought PoF, so I've got the salvage o matic in one, and usually a lounge pass in the other. That way all characters can salvage the blues and greens, and they all have access to a home base from anywhere in the game.

Oh yeah, I guess that would be a thing, too. A lounge pass. I got mine as part of getting PoF. I know there's a lot of opinions out there about the best one, and I only know two of them, so I can't really weigh in on that. It is super useful to have that home base with crafting/trading post/bank all conveniently located a click away. It's probably the number one thing my kids, who don't have a lounge pass, express jealousy over in game.

Again, none of these things are necessary. But some are super helpful. I definitely don't want to talk you into buying a bunch of gem store stuff. I rarely do.

No no I get what you mean.  I appreciate the quick answers to my question.  I had no idea any of that stuff existed so it's helpful all the same.   I'm not sure if I got my gems yet it says it takes 3 days and it's been about 3 now but I'm at work so I couldn't say if they're there or if I have to make a ticket.  Who's to say, but I'm trying to get all my eggs in the basket if you catch my drift.

• Like 2

My advice is to have a look at what's available then wait and see what would be useful for you. What frustates you that the gem store could help with?

There's nothing in there you definitely need and you'll never get everyone to agree on which are the best items to buy because it depends a lot on what you like to do in the game and how you play. For example I've never bought an infinite salvage kit and never felt like I needed one because I get enough free Mystic Forge Stones that I can get by on Mystic Kits, but I think thats partially because I don't farm meta events so I probably get fewer drops than many people who recommend the gem store salvage kits. If I was in your situation my top priority would be extra bank space, but you may not need it yet.

If you're not currently sure what would be useful for you I think it would be better to wait and see than buy something and end up feeling like you've wasted your money.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If you're not currently sure what would be useful for you I think it would be better to wait and see than buy something and end up feeling like you've wasted your money.

Good advice.

I'm surprised you aren't inundated by blues and greens, though. I don't farm either, but my inventory is constantly swamped doing WvW, return to LW events, bounties, any metas. I kinda run all over the game other than SPVP and Raids/Fractals.

OP, since you're planning on playing a character from each profession, it might also help you to know that zones you'll get into during the living world chapters have portal scrolls you can buy with in game currency. That means you don't have to do the story again on each character just to get access to the zones. That's another use for the shared inventory slot.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1